3g Availability?
TySimm

I am getting ready to upgrade my phone and I am just wondering about the time frame of the 3g network. I am wondering how long 3g service will still be provided. And if Verizon does switch over to 4g will they upgrade my phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 3g Availability?
ben7337
Enthusiast - Level 2

2G is still on and will still be on for a long time as it is used for voice and such I believe, but 3G will likely be on long into the future, no way verizon would kill a service when people can still buy 3g phones, rest assured it will still be on 2 or even 3 or 4 yrs from now, the only possible reason I can see for it ever being shut off is if verizon wants to open spectrum for 5g internet or something, but since LTE can be upgraded to lte advanced without such a change I think, I highly doubt 3g will go off anytime soon even in the next decade as it is the fallback for 4g the same way 2g is the 3g fallback.

Long story short, don't worry about it.

0 Likes
parkernathan
Contributor - Level 2

It's going to be around a bit longer. Might as well get a 3G phone today (unless you frequent to a 4G area), then by the time you need to upgrade your phone in a couple years, you can spring for a 4G phone then since the 4G network will be more built out. You'll be able to have a solid working 3G phone during the duration of your contract then worry about 4G later.

5G? Yeah, it's coming down the road. Going to be incredibly fast as well. 

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

TySimm wrote:

I am getting ready to upgrade my phone and I am just wondering about the time frame of the 3g network. I am wondering how long 3g service will still be provided. And if Verizon does switch over to 4g will they upgrade my phone?

Please be assured that our 3G network will be in place for years to come as the 4G roll out will take a couple of years to complete over our current 3G network coverage. If you upgrade to a 3G device now, you will be eligible for an upgrade again in 20 months and by then our 4G coverage roll out will be almost completed.

0 Likes