Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4510L port scan
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

This info may help your knowledge base before you retire.     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_scan

Closed ports are pretty safe -  they do provide some data to scanners that a port exists and is denied-  but these kinds of attacks are not as useful as they were (better security software).   So, I would not worry about them.   Stealth ports are those that simply did not reply to an outside request like from grc.   More important to to make sure your windows firewall is running properly and your security software (3rd party typically) is up to date (Note: your security software must come from a trusted source).   Most attacks these days are of the "trojan horse" variety -  they don't attack the low-level ports directly -  they send you an email and entice you to click an attachment which runs a  program that opens your systems up (some of this malware is quite tenacious in that it disables internal security software and accessing security sites and windows update, etc.  quite malicious).    So,  #1,  never click an attachment before scanning it with security software even if it's from someone you know.   Do not click links unless you are pretty sure they are good (some links look OK but are spoofs).   Beware of phishing.  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3
0 Likes
SR45

Lynn53...

If you are using IE9, your message will not get posted.  You will have to click on the Compatability Mode to the right of the address bar in IE9, than post

Good luck

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ySWOa.jpg[/IMG]

0 Likes
Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3

They should put that somewhere, wondered what was wrong. I started out with a SCH-LC11 Hotspot and would go to grc.com, then ShieldsUp and do a common ports and all service ports scan. They would come back with all ports stealth and a pass grade. I had problems with the SCH-LC11 dropping the network connection because I am in a area between 3G and 4G and it was trying to go back and forth. I traded it in and got a 4510L since it has the ability to lock in to receive 3G only. Weak 4G in area. When I do the scans with the 4510L it comes back with most of the ports closed instead of stealth, this is not bad but not as good as stealth. Why is this happening? Is it something I should worry about? I also have a WiFiRanger Router I got from the 3Gstore.com that picks up the hotspot wifi and allows you to run ethernet cable to your computers. I think the scan will not see the router since the hotspot is first in line but will the router make me stealth even though it does not show it. The router has NAT and SPI. Am I wrong about this? Please ask me questions if I have not explained this enough. Just want to know if I should do something since the 4510L is not getting as good of results. Thanks Lynn

0 Likes
Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry I did it again forgot to click that capatability thing. If no on knows the answer can you tell me where to post. Verizon phone support was of no help. They looked up novatel and it said Verizon was to give support but as I said they could not help. Please let me know if there is a place to find an answer or am I just in to big of hurry here.

0 Likes
Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3

Forgot to say I took the WiFi Ranger and connected it to comcast able and the computer and the scan came out mostly closed with a few open ports, so it does not appear to help as much as I like with protection. Anybody know of a better wifi router.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Lynn53,

I'm a little unsure as to what you are asking. Just to recap, your now have the Verizon Wireless Mifi 4510L mobile hotspot. Are you trying to connect a router to the mifi so you can use it with a pc? It would help if we knew what is it that you ultimately want to do with the mifi. Thank you...

0 Likes
Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I am trying to bring up is the security difference between stealth and closed ports. Yes I now have the 4510L and when I do the scan at grc.com it comes out closed. First thing is do you know what I am talking about on the scans. Phone support had no idea. So first if you do do not know then look at the site. I am trying to learn if the difference is that big of deal when it comes to security. I hate to say this but like phone support said they mainly get people connected, they know little else. So if no one knows no more than how to get me connected let this thread end. If you would like to go beyound that then tell me what makes the 4510L scan different than the SCH-LC11. Is having mostly closed ports instead of stealth that big of deal. I bring up the part of the router to say would this help the security of the 4510L or is it needed. Also I do use the router already for that pupose on my cable system and am going to use a router with a hardware firewall to help the security of the hotspot. But I wanted opinions on how much this is needed with the hotspot. I am not having any problem with connection of the 4510L, just to be clear on that. At least you did give me a reply so thank you for that. But now does anyone know about the security issue of having stealth ports or having closed ports?

0 Likes
Lynn53
Enthusiast - Level 3

Forgot about what I am going to use the  hotspot for. I am going to retire to an area that the best way to get internet is to use the hotspot. I will be 12 miles outside a city so there is no cable. I go to my house there now as much as possible and when I do I use my hotspot with my laptop for general internet use. So I am just trying to learn more about the setup I will be using and how to stay secure being on the internet. I have 4 years before I retire, that may not be enough time to learn all I need, ha ha.

0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

This info may help your knowledge base before you retire.     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_scan

Closed ports are pretty safe -  they do provide some data to scanners that a port exists and is denied-  but these kinds of attacks are not as useful as they were (better security software).   So, I would not worry about them.   Stealth ports are those that simply did not reply to an outside request like from grc.   More important to to make sure your windows firewall is running properly and your security software (3rd party typically) is up to date (Note: your security software must come from a trusted source).   Most attacks these days are of the "trojan horse" variety -  they don't attack the low-level ports directly -  they send you an email and entice you to click an attachment which runs a  program that opens your systems up (some of this malware is quite tenacious in that it disables internal security software and accessing security sites and windows update, etc.  quite malicious).    So,  #1,  never click an attachment before scanning it with security software even if it's from someone you know.   Do not click links unless you are pretty sure they are good (some links look OK but are spoofs).   Beware of phishing.  

0 Likes