4G Dual-Core Phone?
masaokun

So when is Verizon going to finally release a 4G Dual-Core phone?  Every other carrier out there has had at least one for a while now.  For supposedly having one of the best networks out there, it doesn't really matter if there's no decent selection of phones to use it.  Just 3?  Come on, you guys are seriously behind here.

Also, I hope the rumors are not true that you are not coming out with the Samsung Galaxy S II.  Again, all the other carriers are getting it, and they are making it 4G for their respective technologies.  I know the Droid Bionic is coming, but can we please have some choices?!

My fear is that the 'full of themselves' that I have encountered at every Verizon store I've been to is not limited to sales/support, but is instead more ingrained in the entire corporate culture in Verizon.  As a customer, I hate dealing with compainies like that, and in my business experience, that attitude is often an early indicator of problems with a company (if they feel they're too good to really work with customers and other businesses, they get passed by other companies who do).  Please don't let me be right with regards to this fear.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G Dual-Core Phone?
mariol90
Enthusiast - Level 3

keep in mind no other carriers in the US have LTE (metropcs doesn't count, their phones are terrible). there are more phone rumors for next month, just search "verizon leak" on google. those are completely rumors and may or may not be true of course. att and t-mobile have "faux-G" because it's just upgraded HSPA, which has been around for a few years now. the only thing you could argue is wimax, but the two (I think?) dual core phones that have wimax radios came out fairly recently.

I completely agree with the last part of your post. sales employees here don't really seem to know much other than how to push phones to even less knowledgeable people.

0 Likes
masaokun

So it looks like the rumor of no SGS2 was real.  I just have this to say:  YOUR COMPANY IS RUN BY{word filter avoidance}
!!  So much for choice.  So much for high end phones.  Other carriers are getting them.  I should never have switched myself and my family to your company.  I totally regret that decision, and if it weren't for the large contract, I would so switch back.  As it is, I'm seriously considering dropping out of the family plan and going elsewhere to get away from this **bleep**.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

masaokun wrote:

So it looks like the rumor of no SGS2 was real.  I just have this to say:  YOUR COMPANY IS RUN BY{word filter avoidance}
!!  So much for choice.  So much for high end phones.  Other carriers are getting them.  I should never have switched myself and my family to your company.  I totally regret that decision, and if it weren't for the large contract, I would so switch back.  As it is, I'm seriously considering dropping out of the family plan and going elsewhere to get away from this **bleep**.

Did someone from VZW come to your door and put a gun to your head to switch to them???? Dont change  companies based on rumors on other boards.

0 Likes
PhoenixThrone

Well the Droid Bionic is just about to launch...So is a Motorola dual-core 4G LTE device not good enough for you? You can probably expect the Bionic to be released in September.

Verizon even has a teaser video for it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJaowSisMGs&feature=player_embedded

So there's your info on a dual-core 4G phone for Verizon. Sure, it may not be the Samsung you wanted, but it IS a dual-core phone. Here's a bunch of other articles you can read on the Bionic - http://www.droid-life.com/tag/bionic/

Oh, and if you're stuck on a Samsung 4G device, here's some more articles on the Nexus Prime - http://www.droid-life.com/tag/nexus-prime/

And maybe next time don't move to a network expecting a phone that hasn't been released yet?

0 Likes
masaokun

No, I switched the family because they were supposed to have better reception in more places. That has not turned out to be fully true.

I also switched because their LTE won multiple speed tests.  That remains to be seen, since they still don't have 4G in the area.  I was trying to be a little forward thinking here.

I also switched because the phone I knew I wanted was supposed to be coming out for their service.  I know it was a rumor, but all the carriers were getting it, and certainly they wouldn't skip on the world's most popular phone?  Right?

Lastly, I switched because I got in to be grandfathered to the unlimited data.  I got an awful Palm Treo 700W phone to put on the plan because it wouldn't be too long of a wait to get the one I wanted.  Almost 2 months later, and there is still no dual core, high ram, 4G high end phone available for them.  Other carriers have had them, and will be further bolstering their lineups with what is proving to be the best Android phone on the market turned 4G for their various technologies.  

The Bionic looks decent, but I don't care for pentile displays and the high radiation of Motorola phones.  It also doesn't have NFC. The biggest thing is that I don't feel like there's much of a choice.  I could understand it if it was there were no other options in the market, but there are.  Verizon just doesn't bring them to their service.  It was previously mentioned that LTE is new, but Verizon has the best 4G service and coverage, but has far fewer phones than other companies.  That doesn't add up, unless Verizon is screwing up by limiting selection.  <tongue in cheek> Choice is Freedom.  Freedom is American.  Why do you hate America, Verizon!! </tongue in cheek>

So now, if I don't want the Bionic, I must continue to wait.  For a rumor.  For an uncertain amount of time.  Using a phone I actively hate.

All this said, it's likely I'll get a Bionic off contract and ditch it when a better phone comes out, but it will lose money and time selling it.  And I still don't get the phone I really wanted.

0 Likes
PhoenixThrone

So you're complaining that a dual-core 4G phone isn't available, or soon to be available, to use on a network that doesn't have coverage in your area anyways? Really? Well **bleep**, they don't sell Verizon FIOS in my area but let me complain...Or not.

I can understand wanting to get into the deal of unlimited data while it still existed, and hey, you got that much so there's a great start. 

If you're so anxious to get a dual-core phone, regardless of the network speed or paying out of contract for it, then whatever man have fun. That's an expensive endeavour to get a fast processing phone that won't have the network speeds you're looking for. Verizon does have a great 4G network, and they are consistently rolling it out an expanding it areas al over the country.

You could always just be patient, and actually wait for the network to be rolled out in your area and further more you could be patient and check in frequently on the Android fan sites to read up on new things like leaked documents from Verizon that actually have release dates for new 4G phones...There's a few coming up, but you seem to be focusing on a rumor for a phone that never had any set date or confirmation with Verizon. Why would they go with the Galaxy S II if Verizon is going to get the Nexus Prime soon after, with a faster dual core processor? Or what about the HTC Vigor?

{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
masaokun

This thread wasn't started to be about me personally.  Yes, I am frustrated, but I'm not the only person in the world; others are affected by this problem as well.  I responded with some personal information only in my 3rd post, just to help show where I'm coming from.  I'm cerainly upset at Verizon not getting the SGS2, partially because it was the phone *I* was waiting for, but mostly, it also meant there would be even less choice for consumers, despite it already being a noticeable problem, thus aggravating the problem even further.  I was hoping to bring this fact to the attention of Verizon so they could (hopefully) address the problem and make their service better.  I admit I got a little passionate in my second post, but I had just gotten the news (I should have followed my own advice against reactionary posting and waited until I could have expressed it more rationally).  However, since you attacked me based on my personal information, I'll talk about that for a while:

Coverage wasn't in (or even announced to be coming to) my area when I made the original post, but I knew it was just a matter of time before it came here.  That, I didn't think was unreasonable, and I could be patient for it to happen.  Since then, it has indeed been announced that it *will* be in my area within a month (just barely after the Bionic), so I was 100% right in that regard.  However, that doesn't even enter in to my legitimacy for feeling like Verizon isn't doing their job getting phones available for their 4G network.  Besides, I travel, and I would still be able to use their 4G in other locations.  (And, for what it's worth, FIOS isn't available here, either, no matter how much I'd like it.  However, it's not a fair comparison.)  How dare you infer I'm not allowed to be upset because my house doesn't currently exist in a location with said coverage.  I could still have used it even if it was never made available where my home is.

I never said I wanted a phone in any particular category regardless of network speed.  If I just wanted any dual core phone, I'd either have gotten a Droid 3, or better yet, gone with Sprint, Simple Mobile or elsewhere and gotten a good phone there.  Heck, I doubt I would have cared enough about Verizon or the need to champion for their customers enough to even post here.  I'm glad for Verizon's reputed network speed, and I absolutely look forward to putting it to the test myself!  However, from a phone selection and my (and others') experience of their customer relations, Verizon is downright horrible.

As of writing this, there are still only 3 Verizon 4G phones available, and none of them are dual core.  It definitely looks like the Bionic will land next month, bringing that total to 4 (and 1).  Meanwhile, Sprint has 7 (2 dual core), T-Mobile has 7 (3), and AT&T has 5 (1), and with the SGS2, all of them will have one more dual core phone.  So yeah, Verizon is way behind.  It doesn't matter how fantastic Verizon's LTE network is if there's jack-all to use it with.  There's hardly any selection, and nothing high end.  It's like taking the family car on an F1 racetrack.

I have been keeping up with Android sites, and the vast majority of them were stating there would definitely be a SGS2 release on Verizon.  I'm also astounded that anyone's recommendation after having one rumor turn out to be false would be to rely on other rumors of release dates of other possible phones.  Also, a leaked document is just the same as a rumor - they don't have confirmation from Verizon either.  There also tends to be a lot of speculation on what those documents actually refer to.  As a case in point, many people thought the Stratosphere that is on some leacked Verizon documents referred to the SGS2.  As for future phones, the Vigor looks pretty good, and I would *LOVE* for Verizon to get the Nexus Prime (and keep to Google's premise for the Nexus line of leaving it unlocked and stock Android)!  Again, choice is good!  (Although for me personally, it would mean waiting longer or spending more money for a different phone in the meantime.)

Again, this thread wasn't intended to be about me, my desire for any particular phone or my being patient.  Although you don't know it, I've been very patient, but I'm not going into that.  This thread has been about Verizon's woeful lack of 4G phones, specifically dual core ones - for myself *and for others*.

As for being courteous, you need to do the same.  Do not belittle others' problems or frustrations.  Just because you're happy with your phone and service doesn't mean others aren't allowed to have and/or express frustrations on a forum created by Verizon for feedback from and discussion amongst their current and potential customers.

0 Likes
masaokun

Hmm.  Re-reading this thread, it looks like the 'keeping posts courteous' thing was an adjustment by a mod.   My apologies.  It came across as something that was being said to me.  I'm new to Verizon's boards and hadn't seen how they do things here.  If I had noticed what was going on sooner, I would have edited that last paragraph out.  Unfortunately, I'm past the edit window now.  :smileysad:

0 Likes