Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring the phone you love. OR get iPhone 13, on us. Online only. With Select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 1.31. Buy now
end of navigation menu
4G Firmware Update
swamprabbit

Installed my MiFi 4510L without a hitch a few weeks ago, upgrading from my previous MiFi 2200.  I'm running it on WinXp SP3 

Very satisfied initially, but last week I was prompted to update the firmware.  I clicked as requested & it looked like it was gonna go until near the end.  I get a message "Error 1720. There is a problem with the Windows Installer package.  A script required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel".......blah, blah, yadda yadda.

I had the same problem with my MiFi 2200 and never got it resolved - the 2200 worked just fine w/o the updates.

I did some keyword lookups on the net and the Error 1720 problem with VZW firmware updates is widespread.  I never found anyone who had solved that problem.  Most said that VZW techno-wizards blamed Windows and the Windows weenies blamed the writers of the update program.  

I ain't gettin' paid to fix VZW's problem - you know they know about it, why don't they fix it?

Anybody had a similar experience?  Or found a solution?

With the MifFi 4510L, the annoying thing now is getting a prompt to update every time I sign on. Right now, I just click do it later and then connect.  Maybe I can get VZW tech support to just turn off the update notices???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G Firmware Update
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

swamprabbit wrote:

Installed my MiFi 4510L without a hitch a few weeks ago, upgrading from my previous MiFi 2200.  I'm running it on WinXp SP3 

Very satisfied initially, but last week I was prompted to update the firmware.  I clicked as requested & it looked like it was gonna go until near the end.  I get a message "Error 1720. There is a problem with the Windows Installer package.  A script required for this install to complete could not be run.  Contact your support personnel".......blah, blah, yadda yadda.

I had the same problem with my MiFi 2200 and never got it resolved - the 2200 worked just fine w/o the updates.

I did some keyword lookups on the net and the Error 1720 problem with VZW firmware updates is widespread.  I never found anyone who had solved that problem.  Most said that VZW techno-wizards blamed Windows and the Windows weenies blamed the writers of the update program.  

I ain't gettin' paid to fix VZW's problem - you know they know about it, why don't they fix it?

Anybody had a similar experience?  Or found a solution?

With the MifFi 4510L, the annoying thing now is getting a prompt to update every time I sign on. Right now, I just click do it later and then connect.  Maybe I can get VZW tech support to just turn off the update notices???

Hi swamprabbit,

I am sorry to learn of the issue you encountered while updating your device's firmware. Upon researching this the MiFi 4510L, I learned that some files and instructions have been updated for a successful update. Please visit this LINK for detailed instructions to complete the update.

0 Likes