4G LTE Map in KY is wrong
losingit

Late in 2011 (late September) the 4G LTE coverage map in the Louisville, KY area was updated to include some surrounding areas, one of which was the city I live in, Shelbyville, zip code 40065. As well as I64 from Louisville to Frankfort (Shelbyville is almost halfway between the two cities). I was happy to see the updated coverage because I was in the process of re-activating my Bionic after playing with IOS5 for a short time. The entire town of Shelbyville shows that it is in Verizon's LTE coverage area, yet I lose 4G coverage just before getting to the city limits and then I get a 4G signal again when I get close to Frankfort. It's like there is a big gap in coverage just over Shelbyville.

Could it be they have yet to turn on an tower? Or are they just blowing smoke?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE Map in KY is wrong
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello losingit,

I definitely understand your desire to receive the 4G LTE experience in Shelbyville.  The 4G map does display 4G coverage for Shelbyville, however, or engineers are still working on this area.  I do not have an exact date that the engineers will be done in the area, but I can say we are working hard to complete this as soon as possible.  I appreciate your patience and I hope knowing this information helps you a little bit.  Thank you.

TominqueBo

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
losingit

LOL, I figured this would be the response. Why would Verizon, or any other service provider for that matter, do this? I know your coverage maps say something to the effect of "coverage not available in all areas, blah, blah, blah". But an entire city on your map shows to have 4G coverage, but in fact it doesn't and you know it doesn't. How can this be considered good business practice?

Why not change the name of the map to "upcoming 4G/LTE coverage" or "predicted 4G/LTE coverage"? Oh wait, I know why, because if you did that you might not get as many customers.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

0 Likes
spkay31
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think this practice may be fairly widespread in the VZ coverage maps. In the area around my house I see full 4G coverage all over the surrounding area though testing in those areas with a 4G device yields nothing. I have located the nearest solid coverage area about 3 mi to the North. There is a tower right in the heart of the coverage area already shown as 4G, but when I test in locations all around the tower there is no 4G signal. I am guessing the coverage maps are generated assuming that tower is providing 4G coverage. Unfortunately I find the current status of 4G coverage maps is still quite unreliable and local testing with 4G devices is the best way to locate live towers. Since I have just installed a 4G YAGI and booster amp at my home I will continue to monitor all the surrounding towers to know when each one begins providing 4G service.

0 Likes