4G LTE SCH-LC11 NO Connectivity
drummajor

I purchased a Samsung 4G LTE SCH-LC11 October 25.  It worked out of the box connecting to four different PCs and three operating systems (XP,Vista and Windows 7).  On or about12/1/11the HP laptop running Vistacould not connect to the web.  The PC could connect to the Hotspot but could not get through to the web.  When looking at the Hotspot from another computer I could not see the computer as connected.  Went to the local VZ retailer and they fiddled with the device and computer for about 30 mins, then brought in tech support.  After running through the same hoops I did, and the store rep, tech support said “bad hotspot, bad!”  A new Hotspot arrived via USPS a few days later. <-That was the good news 

I installed the Hotspot 3 out of 4 computers have a connection (Strong 4G).  I ran all of the trouble shooting drills again with no joy.  I called VZ Tech support and worked through the tier I guy and was handed off to the tier II person.  After a few min.s  the recommendation was “you need a new driver for your network adopter”.  Wellll I had a bit of a problem with this because I had already disabled the internal adopter and substituted a USB that was working fine on another computer and I had taken the laptop to the local library and was able to connect to the internet on their WiFi signal.  Adapter is working.  But strange things happen in these little boxes.  I updated the driver.  No connection.

Here are the steps I have taken to correct this issue:

1. Updated the internal adapter driver
  2. Disabled the internal adapter and swapped an external USB
  3. Reset the TCP/IP stacks
  4. Disabled the Firewall
  5. Did a system reset to11/18/11
  6. Removed the virus protection
  7. Started in SAFE Mode with Networking and tried the TCP/IP resets.
  8. Checked that MAC blocking was not on.

Anybody out there in Whoville know how to get this HP G60 Laptop back on line through the SCH-LC11 Hotspot?  The real problem is that the LAP top is the personal property of She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and she is holding my Christmas gifts hostage. Not really nice for one senior citizen to do to another, is it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE SCH-LC11 NO Connectivity
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello!  Can the HP connect to the hotspot, just not to the web?  What OS is the HP running?

0 Likes
drummajor

The laptop is an HP G60 running Vista.

The laptop says that it is conected.  It displays the SSID and Ipv4 & 6 both show "limited" conectivity.

When I look back at the Hotspot from 192 168 1 1 (dots removed because this program rejected the address) admin page I do not see the laptop.

This leads me to think that I am getting to the Hotspot but not through the Hotspot with this one computer.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've found Vista networking to be very buggy. Here are various things that have seemed to help me in the past...

• Use Device Manager to disable all but one network adapter on the computer (all but the wireless adapter that you're using).
  • On the computer, go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, click the Lan Settings button.  Then, uncheck the "Automatically Detect Settings" checkbox.
  • Disable IPv6 on the wireless adapter.
  • Use different DNS servers (OpenDNS or Google).

Can you still ping sites from the laptop even though you can't connect to web pages?

Also, have you tried disabling security settings on the hotspot?

0 Likes
drummajor

dmc271 wrote:

I've found Vista networking to be very buggy. Here are various things that have seemed to help me in the past...

• Use Device Manager to disable all but one network adapter on the computer (all but the wireless adapter that you're using).
  • On the computer, go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections tab, click the Lan Settings button.  Then, uncheck the "Automatically Detect Settings" checkbox.
  • Disable IPv6 on the wireless adapter.
  • Use different DNS servers (OpenDNS or Google).

Can you still ping sites from the laptop even though you can't connect to web pages?

Also, have you tried disabling security settings on the hotspot?

• Only one network adapter is enabled
  • Changed Internet options
  • Disabled IPv6
  • cannot ping 
  • CANNOT connect to internet.

I have not changed DNS Servers yet, (Havent done it before and need to do a little research)

I have looked at the Security page on the hot spot and do not see an option to disable.  Can you provide a little more info as to what I am looking for??

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Regarding the security settings, see http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=39945

Also, since you have other computers that can access the internet successfully, maybe you can try verifying that the gateway settings match between your good computers and your HP laptop.

Specifically, on your good computer, go to a command line and type: ipconfig /all

You should see a bunch of info. Look for the info listed for the adapter that's used to connect to the Samsung.

Next, run the same command on the HP laptop and look for the info listed for your wireless adapter.

Do the Default Gateway, DHCP Server, and DNS Servers numbers match?

0 Likes