4G LTE does not work on saftey mode - Use 3G instead
janzaldua

So I have been talking back n' forth with a Verizon rep (who is quite rude), via text/chat, and they aren't making it clear why I should keep 4G LTE on while on Safety Mode. Just out of curioisity, I turned off LTE in my settings menu, and only started to use 3G, and it works perfectly fine. It's slower than LTE, but all my apps and websites load.

I've included screenshots of the chat, but essentially, this is a marketing tactic by Verizon. The rep told me, they do not recommend I go off 4G LTE while on Safety Mode, because I should be purchasing a data boost, using WiFi or upgrading my data plan. They claim that using 3G "tricks the system".

0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE does not work on saftey mode - Use 3G instead
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

janzaldua, 

It is never our intention to make you feel deceived in any way. Our ultimate goal is to make sure you have the right plan on a working device. When in Safety Mode, the speeds will be slower and 3G like speeds. It is should be a very similar experience if you switch LTE off on your device. We do not recommend switching your device, because it could cause problems in the future. Our apologies that we gave you any impression that we are trying to play tricks on you or our systems. If you do run into Safety Mode a lot, we may want to look at different plan options.

Check out all our unlimited plans https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/ and avoid and slow speeds at all. 

JenelleR_VZW

0 Likes
janzaldua

Thanks Jenelle. At least you are nicer than the rep I was talking to.

And just to be clear, here was the situation. I am using my phone on Safety mode, with 4G/LTE enabled. I tried to open up safari and just type something in google to search, such as a recipe or definition of a word. Nothing would load. I try opening the Amazon app to search some christmas gifts. Nothing would load. And when I say nothing would load, I mean I was waiting for 10+ minutes for the page or app to load. Nothing came up. I even tried restarting the apps, as well as my phone.

This seems to be false advertising on Verizon's end, because according to the FAQ for Safety Mode, it states, "Safety Mode lets you keep using data at reduced speeds after your data allowance is used up for the month. You can stay online without worrying about overage fees."

But this is false. It clearly doesn't let me keep using my data, even for a simple web page. The only way I could get anything to load, was to disabled 4G/LTE, and leave my cellular setting on 3G. After I changed the setting to 3G, everything started to load fine.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for those details, janzaldua. Yes, you can continue to use data at reduced speeds while in Safety Mode. We're sorry that nothing was loading for you when you tried to browse the web. If it works better for you to have 3G enabled while in Safety Mode, then we recommend keeping those settings as is.   EricaG_VZW

0 Likes
janzaldua

Yeah that's fine. I was more frustrated that the rep I originally talked to cared more about making money from the customer, rather than helping them. As you saw from the screenshots, they didn't want me to stay on 3G, and said I "tricked" the system. Which doesn't make sense, because I am still supposed to get data while on Safety Mode.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the opportunity to help you and provide you clarification on how the Safety Mode works, this way you can manage your data. We are also incluidng a link that will provide you more detials, so you can review at your convenience: http://spr.ly/66051OuFS

RachelM_VZW

0 Likes