4G LTE slow and erratic download speed
DataMystery

I’m in a semi-rural area with no wired internet, so getting 4G service in the home is essential.

I did a search on this topic and found plenty of complaints about 4G speed, but none that fit my situation.

NOT THE DEVICE:  My neighbors and I all began having this issue across all our devices at the same time, so it’s clearly not the devices’ fault.  Over the last six weeks or so, one of my neighbors has made countless phone calls to Verizon and had no luck, so I thought I’d give him a break and start my own effort online.

WHEN THE PROBLEM STARTED:  Before around May 30, 2017 and for at least 2 years previously, signal strength and data download speeds were good.  I never ran a speed test (didn’t need to), but I was able to stream HD video just fine.  Since around May 30, the signal strength and data download speeds have been much lower, and extremely erratic.

SIGNAL STRENGTH: Before May 30, signal strength was in the 2-3 bar range (on an iPhone 6+); since then, it has been mostly at 1 bar, and occasionally is lost altogether (3G or even 1x).

FIELD TEST MODE: Only in the last week have I set my phone to Field Test Mode and begun recording db readings.  Walking around outside with the phone pointed in various directions and orientations doesn’t seem to affect either signal strength (~ -100 to -108 db) or data speed in any consistent way.  Data speed can be relatively fast with a weak signal, or terrible with a stronger signal.

SPEED TEST RESULTS:  Extremely inconsistent, but low overall.  One download speed test might result in up to 5 mpbs, while an immediate re-test might net only 0.75.  At no time is the download speed ever fast enough to stream HD video.

NO CONSISTENCY:  There is no pattern to the erratic speed.  Time of day doesn’t matter.

BOUNCING NEEDLE:  On all speed tests, the needle begins by bouncing upward quickly and then settling slowly several times — as if the signal is intermittent — before stabilizing towards the end of the test.  The more frequent the initial upward bounces, the faster the overall speed test result.

UPLOAD IS FAST: The weird part is that upload speeds are consistent and excellent at 10-15 mbps.  The needle does not bounce around on upload tests as it does on downloads.

SIGNAL BOOSTER: I just purchased and tested a WeBoost signal strength booster.  It boosts the signal strength as advertised, but the data download speeds are even more wildly inconsistent.  One speed test delivered a dizzying 20 mbps.  An immediate re-test netted 2.4 mbps.  Mostly the results about the same as before, and average around 2.0 to 3.0 mbps, although they range all over the place.

Ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE slow and erratic download speed
steveng_vzw
Verizon Employee

DataMystery, we know how important it is to always get great speeds with LTE. We always want to help all our customers in any way we can to make sure they get the service they should be getting from us. What zip code are you located at where this is happening at? What plan do you have with us at this time?

StevenG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DataMystery

Hi Steven, thanks for your response.  Now let's hope we can track this down.

Zip code is 97405 (Eugene, Oregon).  If it helps, the GPS coordinates are approximately 43.98 N, -123.14 W.

Unlimited Plan, and I've used nowhere near the amount of data to trigger any sort of throttling.  Plus, I can get normal 4G LTE data speeds in areas away from the immediate neighborhood.

If it had always been this way, I would accept that I'm just in a lousy reception area.  However, as stated in my original post, the troubles definitely began on or around May 30.  That leads me to believe there is a tower issue.  Plus, there's the odd aspect that the data speed is highly erratic, and not consistently tied to signal strength.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The information provided does suggest there may be an issue with a local tower. How is your service in other areas? Have you done any speed tests at other locations?

NoahS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
DataMystery

"The information provided does suggest there may be an issue with a local tower. How is your service in other areas? Have you done any speed tests at other locations?"

Service in other areas is much, much faster.  I did a couple of speed tests in different locations closer to town today and got download speeds of 40.43 mbps and 83.15 mpbs.  You can see why a speed of 0.75 mbps in my neighborhood is disappointing, to say the least.

Let me stress again that at one time, before May 30 or so, both speed and signal strength were much faster in my neighborhood.  My next-door neighbor also experienced the same drastic drop in data download speed and consistency, beginning at the same time, and he is also able to get much faster speeds when he is in town.

If it helps, the last ticket number my neighbor opened with Verizon via telephone was [Removed].  He has received no response from Verizon for a couple of weeks, and as I'm sure you know, there is no way for him to contact anyone at Verizon directly to find out why.  That's why I thought to start my own effort with an electronic paper trail.

personal information removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service 

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
RVLust
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have exactly the same problem.  Did you ever get a solution from Verizon?

REBNEI77

No, not yet.  They created a ticket but haven't ever heard back.

Becky [Removed]

via Galaxy S8

personal information removed as required by the  Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is deeply concerning that you’re experiencing the same problem, RBLust. Let’s get this figured out. When did this issue start for you? What zip code? Do other Verizon users/devices have the same issue?

JosephE_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
RANCHGURL
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem. Zip Code 91905. Super slow internet. 3G and 4G LTE. 10 seconds each for 3 of the Verizon sign on pages and 15 seconds for the last one. Painful.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how agonizing slow internet can be Ranchgurl. I don't see any reported issues in your area. When did this start? Are you connected to WiFi? What is the make/model of your phone?

AmberF_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes