4G Markets in WV
richrcp

When could we expect to see other 4G markets to launch in WV,currently the only area in WV with 4G coverage is Charleston. I reside in the Clarksburg area (26301) which is close to Morgantown. ( West Virginia University ) We have no EVDO coverage in the entire North Central portion of WV. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
69 Replies
oilfieldmudman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still no native verizon wireless coverage east on I79 towards Buckhannon and Elkins!! Will this area ever get blessed with native coverage or Rely on Us Cellular to pick up the slack for UNUSABLE 1x data rates? Verizon has down right neglected this area forever and I don't see any change in the future, so goodbye Verizon Hello Us Cellular or AT&T.

0 Likes
Kacta1344

I'm excited about the 4g launch in Morgantown and its even better now that its taking place in Clarksburg. But does anyone know about Fairmont, WV?  Its right in the middle and along I-79 and where I spend most of my time. I have the Razr Maxx and would love to use it at its full potential. Also I know that was issues in the past with Verizon getting permission to service the area in the past, is that still in effect?

0 Likes
oilfieldmudman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Kacta1344, my guess would be its in the "works" there is probably a license issue with Marion County it's a good idea to check with Verizon Wireless in the meadowbrooke mall they have been a good source of info for me in the past, just make sure you speak to a supervisor and not some high school kid. You can also email Laura Merritt her email address can be found in this discussion. And get as many people involved as you can I send email a couple times a week about service in my area.

0 Likes
wvbig12

I have a brand new Droid razr m and am not getting any 4g as of today. It was supposed to be up today in the downtown morgantown area and im like 100 yards from there now, Whats going on? I tried to get that restore connectivity app but it says it isnt compatible with my phone.

0 Likes
lauram

I'd like to help. Please email your phone # to me at laura.merritt@verizonwireless.com and we'll take a look.

0 Likes
ccsears1981

I have the Samsung S3 and as of Tuesday I have had 4G LTE singal from Sabraton all the way to Star City.  I would try restarting the phone to see if it picks up the tower if not give tech support a call or go to the VZW store.

0 Likes
Gmancometh
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's strange wvbig12, because even their website officially shows that Morgantown should be lit up with 4G LT mf'n E.  I'd call and ask what's up. I'll be able to check it out tomorrow night. In Pittsburgh until then.

0 Likes
HouseRulz

4G LTE coverage is coming to Morgantown on October 17th as per VZW press release: http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/10/pr2012-10-09c.html

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

HouseRulz wrote:

4G LTE coverage is coming to Morgantown on October 17th as per VZW press release: http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2012/10/pr2012-10-09c.html

Well, that's officially official. It will definitely be live on that date. You might even see it before then. This is based on my experience with light-up dates for LTE.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
d10m27

Well that seems pretty official, however I will still believe it when it happens, as similar things have been said before and not happened. 

0 Likes
d10m27

verizon morgantown pic.png

This is obviously from a few weeks ago.  I am not sure if this (magical 4g) has been happening with anyone else's phone, but it has been happening with my phone frequently (a few times a week).  This typically occurs on the Evansdale Campus of WVU, although it has occurred elsewhere.  My phone will work fine on the 4g data network, and acts as though it is on Verizon (although I still can't send more than 160 character texts, another frustration).  Then the next second, literally, my phone will revert back to the 'extended network' and the dial up of the mobile data world, 1x.  Not sure why, maybe it is testing, and still probably no one will be informed until the 4g network becomes live in Morgantown, WV (if it ever happens at this point). 

Also, my phone is a Droid 4, and on my sister's phone, the iPhone 4, at the exact same time my phone says 4g, hers still says extended.  Once again, no idea why this is happening and would love to know.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

If you haven't tried it Install Motorola's Restore Connectivity and once downloaded run it through see if helps restore 4G  b33

0 Likes
WeirtonMikeD

Any information on when weirton will stop relying on a tower in Pennsylvania for 4g? Relying on that tower makes 4g coverage difficult to predict PLUS I can't get 4g downtown or in steubenville.

0 Likes
richrcp

Mike D

Does not look like any other WV launches for the remainder of 2012!! The remainder of the WV launches are supposed to be completed by end end of next year!!!

Here are the market that will get 4G LTE by the end of the year:

Selma, Ala.; Blytheville, Ark.; Flagstaff, Nogales, Prescott and Sierra Vista/Douglas, Ariz.; Eureka, Calif.; Grand Junction, Colo.; Lewiston/Moscow, Idaho; Vincennes/Washington, Ind.; Fort Dodge and Ottumwa/Oskaloosa, Iowa; Petoskey, Mich.; Willmar/Marshall, Minn.; Butte, Mont.; Grand Island/Kearney and Hastings, Neb.; Lebanon/Claremont, N.H.; Farmington and Gallup, N.M.; East Liverpool/Salem, Ohio; Muskogee, Okla.; Pendleton and Roseburg, Ore.; Sumter, S.C.; Abilene, Texas; Keene, N.H./Brattleboro, Vt.; Kennewick/Pasco/Richland, Port Angeles, Wenatchee and Yakima, Wash.; and Riverton and Rock Springs, Wyo.
0 Likes
oilfieldmudman
Enthusiast - Level 2

At least it's a start! And it's better than what AT&t and Sprint have

planned, which is nothing. I send Laura Merritt e-mails on a weekly basis

about coverage in my area, she is a good person to drop an email to, and is

the public relations manager for West Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania. Her

email can be found on Verizon's page. Get as many of your friends and

family that feels the same way to email Verizon on these matters. FYI

Verizon is ahead of schedule on rolling out it's 4g lte network so

hopefully it gets a good reception in Motown and it will take off in other

parts of the state.

0 Likes
lauram

Thanks for directing folks to me. My email address is laura.merritt@verizonwireless.com. Whether you are having issues or just happy to have 4G LTE in Morgantown, I'm all ears. Thanks.

0 Likes
oilfieldmudman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Laura how about the rest of West Virginia? Can we see any expansion here in the mountain state? I love my Galaxy S3 when im up in motown or out of town working but when your only getting 1x at your house and gotta switch on wifi to get anything done is deff a bummer especially when your bill is $115.00 dollars a month.

0 Likes
lauram

Believe me, WV is a priority for our network team. They’re working hard to roll out 4G LTE to everywhere we have 3G today and, in some cases (like Morgantown) where we haven’t had service before. I can’t provide a specific timeframe at this point but we should have 4G LTE everywhere we have 3G within the next year. In some cases, we do not hold a license to operate so we don’t have an opportunity to build out our voice and 3G in those markets. But, I know in at least one location, we will be offering 4G LTE to folks in the short term and Voice over LTE down the road.

0 Likes
DroidRoot

Got a flash of 4g in Clarksburg, WV around 6:00 PM on 11/27/12!  Was about a year ago this started with 3g, and we got it in the end of December.

0 Likes
oilfieldmudman
Enthusiast - Level 2

4g is live in Clarksburg!! Verizon hasn't officially announced it yet but the area has solid coverage, initial speed test are showing on average 25-30 Mbs down and 8-10 Mbs up so its crazy fast!!!

0 Likes