4G MiFi 4510L Problem - Please Help
XStroX

I was at my parents house the other day and noticed with my Thunderbolt they have LTE in their area (not yet announced but confirmed by local store). I turned on my Hotspot and my dad connected his Laptop (Windows XP) no problem. Speedtest.net showed 14MB/sec down. Awesome! I ordered them a 4G Mifi 4510L and set it up the next day. The Desktop computer (Windows XP and WiFi) connects just fine, still gets 5MB/sec + every time but the Laptop (XP) will barely connect if at all. The few times I can get Speedtest.net to even load on the Laptop, it shows insanely slow speeds like .18MB/sec. Outlooks says it isn't even connected even though in the System Tray it says it is. If I turn off the 4510L and start up my Thuderbolt hotspot, the Laptop connects and works fine and gets 4G speeds. I tried plugging the 4510L into the the Laptop via usb, nothing really happened except found new hardware windows but right after disconnecting it from the Laptop, the Laptop finally connected at 4G speeds! No idea why that would change anything. Now today I am back to where I started. Desktop (via WiFi) is working great at 4G speeds but the Laptop barely or doesn't have internet. What gives??? Why doesn the Laptop connect just fine to my Thunderbolt Hotspot at 4G speeds but it doesn't want to connect to the MiFi at 4G speeds? Especially when th Desktop is connecting to the MiFi just fine??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G MiFi 4510L Problem - Please Help
ChristinaB_VZW
Verizon Employee

I understand your frustration in this matter. is this still occurring with your laptop and desktop? It does seem as if there may be an issue with the configuration of the Mifi device. For immediate assistance, please contact our Technical Support team when you have the devices with you. The toll-free number is 1-800-922-0204 and we are here from 6amCST to 11pmCST seven days a week. 

Thank you!

0 Likes
XStroX

Unbelievably frustrating! I am going to call again tomorrow. Called once and after doing a few things and the laptop worked great. Next time I came back to the computer it was back to the way it was. IF www.speedtest.net loads, it gives speeds under .5 Mb/s but most of the time websites load after 5 minutes if at all. 

This is all while the light is green and desktop works great at over 10Mb/s.

The worst part is I then took the laptop and MiFi to the Verizon store. They turned it on and plugged it in, worked great! I left feeling stupid, went to the library, same thing as at home!

I've tried changing to LTE only, no change, desktop works, laptop doesnt.

I've tried changing from 802.11n to 802.11 b/g and same problem

I'll have to call again.

0 Likes
XStroX

I have also tried factory reset.

And also worth pointing out. While the laptop says "connected" and the Desktop is getting 10+ Mb/s, the laptop usually doesn't even get 3G speeds. Websites just hang and never load. 

So aggravating since I know 4G is possible on my laptop with the MiFi. What in the world is causing this craziness on one computer and not the other?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Oh, I definitely understand why this issue would be frustrating. There aren't any settings in the MiFi itself to allow it to connect to one computer at 4G and not another. You have already done a reset on the device and quite a bit of troubleshooting. Have you tried deleting the MiFi connection from the laptop and setting it up again? If so, try again and try manually adding the connection. It could possibly be an issue with the security settings between the MiFi and the computer. Try changing your security settings thru the MiFi admin page. The default is normally WPA2. Try either WPA or WEP and see if that works for your laptop. You will need to setup the connection again on your desktop if this change works for you.

The MiFi admin page can be located by going to http://192.168.1.1 on your computer after connecting to the MiFi. The default password is admin. 

0 Likes