4G Mifi Device Always Dormant
Kelspraytor
Enthusiast - Level 1
So I originally had the Fivespot device and after I updated the device it went completely crazy and never connected. After calling everyday for a week I finally got a new device. The guy explained that with the current promotion I could get a free 4G device so of course I went with that.
Just set it up today (activated, put sim card in, let if fully charge, everything) and big surprise it's stuck in dormant mode. Did I miss a step? I never had a great signal before but it was always able to connect and was fast enough. It flashes green and then purple alternatingly and says dormant on my computer.

Please help!
Labels (1)
Re: 4G Mifi Device Always Dormant
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

So what device did you get now?  Also keep an eye on your bill, I was told same thing about switching devices and ended up with $150 charge, they did reverse it after a lengthy battle involving many visits to store, but was a complete pain.

0 Likes
Kelspraytor
Enthusiast - Level 1
They were originally supposed to send me the Samsung one but I ended up with the Mifi 4510L. Haven't gotten the bill yet but I'll definitely keep an eye out.
0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I'll start by saying that Dormancy is a feature of the MiFi 4510L.  In a nutshell your device will go dormant whenever it can detect that no data has moved across the network for a short period of time.   Users will experience a slight lag while browsing to websites if the device was previously in Dormant mode.  Your device should naturally go in and out of Dormancy through out the day if the device is functioning normally. Dormancy by itself is not a cause for concern.

However, if you find that your device is not able to leave Dormant mode the best place to start is with the resets.  Start at level one and work your way down until you notice a performance improvement.

Level 1 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Let the MiFi sit for 30 seconds
  3. Power on the MiFi
  4. Test the connection

Level 2 Reset:

1. Power down the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Remove the SIM card
  5. Allow the MiFi to sit for 30 seconds
  6. Reassemble the MiFi
  7. Test the Connection

Level 3 Reset

1. Power on the MiFi
  2. Remove the back cover
  3. Press and hold the Reset button next to the battery for 10 seconds
        a. Watch the MiFi E-Ink display to see if all the icons are displayed
  4. Release the Reset button
  5. Reassemble the MiFi
  6. Test your connection

Post back and tell us if the resets were helpful or not.  Some users mention having to use the resets several times a day to get the device to work correctly.  If that is the case then we can suggest some additional troubleshooting steps.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you do the number 3 one every 5 minutes or so during all usage times you won't have the dormant problem or the 4G network locking problem....might get a tad annoying but then Verizon will flag this as resolved.  🙂

0 Likes