4G No Longer Connecting
Tommyguns11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, can anyone PLEASE help?

I used to get blazing fast 4G on my Thunderbolt in my office in downtown LA.  Now, I'm lucky to get 3G, it's usually 1X.  It's quite frustrating when you rely on your phone and cannot use it!  I'm wondering what is happening?  Has VZW adjusted some towers? Could it be the new 2.3.4 Gbread Update?  I'm lost.  I go outside, and my 4G connects in the wide open.  I come back to my office, little to no service.  This was NEVER an issue until just recently!

Please reply with any advice!  I can provide any information you may need to help troubleshoot my issue!  Thanks in advance for any and all help anyone can provide!

Gratzi,

Tom

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G No Longer Connecting
bone

My advise would be to look at a different forum..It seems this site is dead and Verizon support is lacking.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

bone wrote:

My advise would be to look at a different forum..It seems this site is dead and Verizon support is lacking.

This is a customer to customer forum. Those that read the posts are users just like you and may or may not have any suggestions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Tommyguns11 wrote:

Hello, can anyone PLEASE help?

I used to get blazing fast 4G on my Thunderbolt in my office in downtown LA.  Now, I'm lucky to get 3G, it's usually 1X.  It's quite frustrating when you rely on your phone and cannot use it!  I'm wondering what is happening?  Has VZW adjusted some towers? Could it be the new 2.3.4 Gbread Update?  I'm lost.  I go outside, and my 4G connects in the wide open.  I come back to my office, little to no service.  This was NEVER an issue until just recently!

Please reply with any advice!  I can provide any information you may need to help troubleshoot my issue!  Thanks in advance for any and all help anyone can provide!

Gratzi,

Tom

I don't necessarily have any suggestions. I too have been experiencing a similar situation in a downtown office building. The signal can range from 4G to 3G to occasionally 1x connections. When it flips between the different types, it can be very slow (several seconds or longer) before it reconnects. The phone itself has moved within the building. The Speedtest.net results for this location have a very low upload speed and the LTE download speed is within in the report/expected range. I believe that the update to Gingerbread has improved the speed of the reconnects and reduced the switching between 4G and 3G. It is still there though. Today it was a lot of bounce back and forth. Once I go outside, the connection does improve. My home also has 4G LTE signal and it seems like the connection is more stable there.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sao

I had this exact problem with my Thunderbolt in the Tampa area for a month.  After doing a complete factory reset and then having the SIM card replaced by the guys at the Verizon store (they told me this would definitely solve the problem!), I called Verizon and had them send me out a replacement phone.  I wasn't happy that they sent me a reconditioned phone as my phone was less than 2 months old when it started getting intermitten data connection.  But, so far so good.  I've had the"new" Thunderbolt for about 3 weeks now and I haven't had a problem with it.  Instead of making yourself crazy, I would have them send you another phone.  I told them if this keeps happening every few months, they will be supplying me with new Thunderbolts every few months.  You put your current SIM card and battery in the replacement phone but you still have to set everything up again.  It's a pain, but better than paying for a data connection that you aren't able to use because the phone stops working.  Good luck.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello Tommyguns11,

Thanks you for reaching out on our community forums for assistance. I am more than happy to assist with your 4G service on your device. I have a few questions on the issue so I can get a better understanding as to what we are up against. I have listed below and feel free to answer as best as you can.

What software version are you running? Please provide the Android version, baseband version, and system version.

What is the zip code in downtown LA that you are having the issue in?

Do you have any 3rd party apps to help manage data services on the device?

Do you have bluetooth and wifi turned off? (this can interfere with data connection sometimes)

Have you already removed and re-inserted the battery & the SIM card on the device? (soft reset)

Once you have confirmed that the steps above have been taken, I can open a trouble ticket for you about the 4G connectivity. This is an escalation process that we use internally that involves our network engineers researching the area in question to ensure optimal network performance. The process takes about 5-7 business days to complete. If there is any additional information that you would like to provide then you can send me a private message with your full name, mobile number, and a brief summary of the issue. This will help me expedite the process. 

Thank you...

0 Likes
sao

well, I said I would respond in a few weeks and my Thunderbolt is now going back to no connection, 1G and 3G since I've been in Cincinnati for Thanksgiving.  I had 4G when I got here but for the last three days it's been at 3G or less.  I'll see what happens when I return to Tampa tomorrow.  If it's still not working with a 4G connection I'll contact Verizon again for a new phone. 

0 Likes