4G Outages pointing to U620L USB modem
WB4LNM

I have been using a VZW U620L 4G modem in my Pepwave Surf SOHO router for about 6-8 weeks now.  I am experiencing occasional outages which so far point to the U620L ceasing to function.  The Pepwave router continues to work, but there is no communication with or through the U620L.

There have been extensive discussions with Pepwave tech support, including running and analyzing diagnostics.  Everything at this juncture points to random outages with the U620L (Novatel) modem.

When the outages occur, the U620L appears to be locked up.  The router is set to continuously ping a site on the internet (actually to look for DNS service), and when it does not get a response in 5 minutes, it resets the U620L.  This always re-establishes the link and all works fine until the next U620L outage.  I've seen no other problems.

This happens randomly, perhaps once every 4-7 days.  I know every time this happens, because when the link is re-established, the router sends me an email reporting the outage.  I have been at the keyboard several times when this has happened.  Checking the 4G service on my phone confirms that the VZW 4G service / tower (less than a mile away) is not itself down, as I can continue to use data from our smart phones. 

I'd like to open a dialog with VZW to see if they can diagnose any problems with the U620L, but technical support for the U620L seems to be non-existent. 

Has anyone else had intermittent problems with the U620L USB modem? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G Outages pointing to U620L USB modem
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

WB4LNM,

We know consistent service is important, especially these days. You've definitely come to the right place for assistance. When you are experiencing these outages, you have checked the 4G on your phone to make sure that it is still functional. Are you experiencing any lockups or outages on other devices connected to the hotspot aside from those set up through the router? Are you doing anything specific when you notice these glitches?

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Wildlife33043

I am having a similar issue with my U620L mifi hotspot.  It runs continuously each day, but the bandwidth will go down to almost nothing so my ip camera is constantly disconnecting.  Below is an example of the data fluctuations.  The hotspot always has 2 bars/4g lte signal.  I have an unlimited data plan on this hotspot that should have no throttling, as it is a non-profit account associated with a govt agency.  Any suggestions? Maybe the hotspot or sim card is going bad?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wildlife33043, we don’t want you to keep experiencing this issue over and over again. What devices are you connecting the U620L to when the issue happens? How long ago did you start having trouble?

StevenM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MadScientist42

I'm not one of the original parties to this conversation, but I, too, seem to have semi-random lock-ups of my U620L.

Doesn't matter if I'm attached to my laptop (though it seems that it holds up better) or to the current travel router I'm using in a Road Warrior configuration.  Originally, I thought maybe a brownout on the USB rails- but that's not the case.  Measured voltages are within USB specifications and above 5v slightly (Instead of low).  Getting hard-hangs with the device that require being powered off and back on again (basically the same story as the Pepwave reset of the device as described in the original post).

All in all, I have a sinking feeling that the devices are dodgy or the SIM is.  Couldn't tell you which.  As it stands, I'd been using hotel internet recently (which kind of defeats the purpose of the device and my 80+ GB pre-pay on the account...) and had that go down which prompted me to try, yet again, with the device, with the predictable result of it going down more often than a wh*re on Harry Hines Blvd in Dallas.whe

I'd like to know what's going on.  That way I can order one from you lot instead of the third party supplier and at least get stable.  The device itself when it works is like a dream and is the best one you've contracted out to suppliers for yet.  But...if it's not able to stay up...well?  It's worse than the original LTE unit from rollout that I finally replaced this year which was an odd beast in and of itself, really.

0 Likes
MadScientist42

As to when I started having the problems...immediately.  Thought it was power rails like I thought.  But it's not and it's beginning to annoy me.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to hear about the trouble with the Jetpack, MadScientist42. How long ago did you get the Jetpack? When you say you got it from a 3rd party, was this a private sale, or at ain independent agent of Verizon?

EricW_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes