Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4G Phone in 3G only area
mommycda

I am currently in the market for a DROID.  I am wavering between the Droid X2 and the Charge.  My location does not have 4G service, only 3G.  4G is not anticipated to be here until the end of 2012.   I would likely upgrading to 4G near the 2 yr mark...which is about the same time 3G will arrive here.  What would be the reason to have a 4G phone now?

Will my battery life drain on a 4G phone in my 3G area since it will always be looking for service?  Please help me decide.....Every person at Verizon I talk to gives me a different answer.  :smileysad:

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: 4G Phone in 3G only area
Davidoo
Novice

The laptop and phone are completely separate issues.  Your phone can download data, apps, movies, music using your home WiFi connection.  It is much faster than 3G and comparable to 4G speeds.  So, although you don't have 4G in your area, while you're at home connected to your WiFi, or at a public WiFi setting such as Starbucks or McDonalds, you will have speed comparable to 4G.  The phone is really more computer than phone and it can get data through your WiFi connection instead of the Verizon network.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Davidoo
Novice

Just me personally, I would go with the Charge anyway.  I have one and love it.  I have not had any negative issues at all.  You can still take advantage of the features without 4G.  There is a network setting to turn 4G off if you know you will not be in an area that doesn't have it.  That will help battery life significantly.  Also, you probably have WiFi in your house?  Just connect to the WiFi whenever you are home, or in almost anyplace you go now with free WiFi and your speed is probably faster than 4G.  My house is on the fringe and I get 3G downstairs and 4G upstairs.  I just use WiFi at home and it is very fast. 

0 Likes
mommycda

I do have WiFi at home......however I was told I have to pay extra for the hotspot.

0 Likes
Davidoo
Novice

No, you only pay if you make the phone the hotspot for other devices.  Using your own WiFi costs nothing.  You just turn it on the phone and enter your WiFi credentials into your phone.

0 Likes
mommycda

Sorry David for my non understanding......I don't see where this is a benefit.  I am using my laptop at home, with the WiFi.  This works fine.  How will the WiFi and the phone together be a benefit?

0 Likes
Davidoo
Novice

The laptop and phone are completely separate issues.  Your phone can download data, apps, movies, music using your home WiFi connection.  It is much faster than 3G and comparable to 4G speeds.  So, although you don't have 4G in your area, while you're at home connected to your WiFi, or at a public WiFi setting such as Starbucks or McDonalds, you will have speed comparable to 4G.  The phone is really more computer than phone and it can get data through your WiFi connection instead of the Verizon network.

0 Likes
mommycda

I am not sure who marked this solved....only one person has an opinion and it is solved?  Was hoping for more information!

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Only the original poster (you) and sometimes a VZW Employee can mark a post as the solution. You can unsolve the post if you want. In the solution post, check the options link on the right side of the post for the "Not the solution" option.Not the Solution.png

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes