Re: 4G Service - Still Out Across the Nation?
celtica

My MiFi would not work several different dates and places in the Denver metro area during December.  In late December, Verizon said my device was defective and sent me a new one, but that didn't help yesterday. 

I am a traveling merchant at festivals.  I use my iPhone with MiFi for all my credit card charges.  When Verizon works, it is great.  There were four instances last summer/fall, around the country, when I had no connection for about a half hour through the MiFi.  This was on Saturday afternoons each time, at my absolute busiest time for sales.  My backup Nuruit 8000 credit card machine, had no problem getting connected, but I try not to use it because of its costs.  I use the MiFi/iPhone to save me money.  When I have a long line of customers waiting to pay and have no connection, I lose sales. 

So, I ask, Is Verizon costing or saving me money? 

Yesterday, my 4G MiFi would not work in 4G or 3G.  Today, I went into a Verizon store.  I wanted to know about switching back to 3G.  I wanted to know if I should have any confidence that Verizon's 4G problem would be resolved. 

My MiFi was tested, as well as my SIM card.  I was told they were fine.  I had switched the MiFi and phone off/on Friday, no help.  I will try Airplane mode next time, but am not optimistic. 

Verizon told me that, if I used my 3G device, my monthly charge would go up $10.  I have 10GB service.  My question is: does Verizon really think it is ok to raise my charge, when the only reason for me to use my 3G MiFi, is because Verizon's 4G service isn't reliable?  Am looking at AT&T's new 4G capability and devices.  They don't now have 10GB, but said they should offer it soon.

Since Verizon has been so uncommunicative with its customers (and believe me, I have truly liked Verizon for more four years, and am no AT&T fan), I am wondering if they will ever truly be able to fix their 4G problem.  

0 Likes
gregbeck88

I lost 3G service in Fort Lauderdale Saturday afternoon and it's still out today.  My service has always been shaky since I moved here 7 years ago but lately it has been worse and now, this outage. 

(Off the present subject, but adding to my frustration with Verizon)    Last month was my parents 50th wedding anniversary and I used my phone a lot getting their party together.  I knew I would go over my limit but what the hey, I'll pay the difference, my parents are worth it.   But when I did, Verizon routed calls I tried to make to a live person who tried to get me to up my monthly minutes. This happened on the next 4 calls.  Can they do this??  Couldn't they look at my history and see there was something different??  Couldn't they ask if it was actually me making the calls and not some freak that stole my phone??

Now this outage and no response from Verizon and still no service as of now.  This outage is nation-wide and millions of people depend on you, Verizon for crucial information.  Shame on you Verizon for not stepping up. Just say there's a problem, I get that, but no response and denial is not acceptable. 

Signed,

Customer since 1983 now looking for new service provider!   

PS:  Verizon shows up as a miss-spelled word on this forum's spell check.    woops!

0 Likes
angler
Enthusiast - Level 1

I returned my new Razr.  I had it for three weeks and it never really worked as advertised.  I was actually told by a tech that the system is only about 40% installed.... great news!!!!  I was also told that that was part of the luxery of beeing first to have the new 4G phone.......f***** them I took it back

Funker_Vogt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I received my Droid RAZR on December 22nd for a Christmas present.  I have, since that entire time, not had 4G for over a five minute period AT ANY TIME, DAY OR NIGHT.  I think this is beyond ridiculous and if they are unable to restore 4G to the phones I'm done with this company, I'll buy out of the contract and then find a legal resolution to get my money back because there is NO reason anybody should have to go through this nightmare.  If it is true only 40% of the network is installed, they should be ashamed of themselves.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

If you got it after Nov 29 I believe you have until Jan 15th.  Honestly if you can't handle the growing pains of a new network you should move to a 3G device until everything is deployed for 4G or switch carriers.

I find it funny you say Verizon should be ashamed of themselves for only have 40% of the network up...  You make it sound like it's a home network...  I'd like to see someone deploy a network that size in less than a year and bug free... 

0 Likes
celtica

Did you go to the coverage map, input your address, click 4G coverage and refresh, to see if your address actually had 4G coverage? I was at a location recently where I was having trouble with the 4G, I put in the address on the map and found that the location was in a very small pocket that had no 4G, though 4G would sometimes connect anyway. 

Have you taken the phone into a Verizon store to troubleshoot?  My problems have only been with my MiFi devices, don't have a Verizon phone. My first was a 3G device a year and a half ago that was defective; my 4G had problems last month. Both times I took them into Verizon. They ran diagnostics on them, found problems, and immediately sent me replacements. 

0 Likes
rico1931

Same story here in Buffalo, NY.. going to the verizon store tonight to give them a ear full of how displeased I am.

0 Likes
Funker_Vogt
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits, you are an amusing individual.  I just hope the check from Verizon is worth your conscience.

When I enter into a contract for anything, I expect to get what I paid for.  If they cannot promise 4G, they should not charge for 4G.  It is really as simple as if you can't do it then don't promise reliable 4G coverage, admit to the people that you can't handle the overload.  Admit to the people that you need some time to fix the network and you'll credit accounts downgraded to 3G data instead.  Domino's made huge mistakes, they admitted it, and people loved them for their refreshing honesty.  Verizon would be well served to do the same thing.

For your information, I wouldn't leave something 40% finished because that's not how I operate; If I promise somebody something will get done it gets done or I refund their money.  I work with computer repair so I understand there are things people cannot handle right away but you TELL the person! You don't refuse to make an announcement and leave people with uncertainty, especially in this economy.  Bugs are one thing, having people who have NEVER had one single HOUR of 4G coverage paying for 4G coverage across the entire country is ridiculous and costly in terms of money as well as repeat service.

The amusing thing is I was told about your reply to me by the RAZR which then proceeded to lose all data connection and I had to sign on to my PC!  This is an awesome phone and I just wish I was able to, you know, use what I was -promised- in the contract.

Funny thing, man... I used to have Cox Communications and they provided the worst service imaginable.  I switched to Verizon because of that along with many others when they moved into my neighborhood.  Outside of this 4G issue I have no problems with Verizon but this is just not how you keep customers happy.  If nothing else, all users affected by the continual problems should receive a credit of half their data pak per month this goes on since we're connecting at about half speed. 

Celtica - Yeah, I'm in the area that supposedly gets the BEST 4G coverage.  It isn't the phone for the simple reason that this is happening all across the country and is the same issue over and over again.  In fact, this phone has been absolutely wonderful outside of the data connection which is why it is such a shame.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Funker_Vogt wrote:

Tidbits, you are an amusing individual.  I just hope the check from Verizon is worth your conscience.

A typical response.  Care to wager that I receive no check from Verizon, and I carry 3 of the 4 major carriers as their customers? Seriously it's getting old.  People need to come out with new material...

When I enter into a contract for anything, I expect to get what I paid for.  If they cannot promise 4G, they should not charge for 4G.  It is really as simple as if you can't do it then don't promise reliable 4G coverage, admit to the people that you can't handle the overload.  Admit to the people that you need some time to fix the network and you'll credit accounts downgraded to 3G data instead.  Domino's made huge mistakes, they admitted it, and people loved them for their refreshing honesty.  Verizon would be well served to do the same thing.

No you do not pay extra for 4G coverage... I pay the same amount for my Droid 3 that I would pay for my Galaxy Nexus.  So please spare the "I am paying more for 4G coverage."  There is NO difference in price between the two.

For your information, I wouldn't leave something 40% finished because that's not how I operate; If I promise somebody something will get done it gets done or I refund their money.  I work with computer repair so I understand there are things people cannot handle right away but you TELL the person! You don't refuse to make an announcement and leave people with uncertainty, especially in this economy.  Bugs are one thing, having people who have NEVER had one single HOUR of 4G coverage paying for 4G coverage across the entire country is ridiculous and costly in terms of money as well as repeat service.

Repairs and bringing up a network are two different things...  They ALREADY been on record as what the problems are.  It's been posted numerous times from Endgadget, to their own press page whenever there is an outage...

The amusing thing is I was told about your reply to me by the RAZR which then proceeded to lose all data connection and I had to sign on to my PC!  This is an awesome phone and I just wish I was able to, you know, use what I was -promised- in the contract.

I guess you didn't read your contract.  Go back and read it, and explain to me where in the contract it was -promised- you'd have coverage every minute of that contract.

Funny thing, man... I used to have Cox Communications and they provided the worst service imaginable.  I switched to Verizon because of that along with many others when they moved into my neighborhood.  Outside of this 4G issue I have no problems with Verizon but this is just not how you keep customers happy.  If nothing else, all users affected by the continual problems should receive a credit of half their data pak per month this goes on since we're connecting at about half speed. 

Why not be fair...  Why no just for the time you don't have connection?  3 days total most people didn't have data service.  That's $3.  Who's to say your problem IS Verizon a not Motorola who made the device?  Sure you may have bought it from Verizon and got it subsidized, but that's where the relationship ends.  The problem is hand off between 4G and 3G network due to the auth scheme.  If 4G goes down and if you switch to CDMA only and get the you will get 3G and data continues.  Which has worked for people who have done it for those 3 days of outages...  You make it like it's been happening everyday the network has problems.  The more often it happens honestly the more likely it's a device hand off issue...

Celtica - Yeah, I'm in the area that supposedly gets the BEST 4G coverage.  It isn't the phone for the simple reason that this is happening all across the country and is the same issue over and over again.  In fact, this phone has been absolutely wonderful outside of the data connection which is why it is such a shame.

For a guy who claims to be in computer repair you should know that unproven, and new technology doesn't always work like intended...  Especially when it comes to networks...  You should try the US Military network when they bring in new tech...  It's not always peachy...

celtica

Verizon told me that my Wifi rates would be $10 a month higher if I went back to 3G. If you read about the 4G problem, it has nothing to do with overload, but does have something to do with hardware.

0 Likes