Re: 4G Service - Still Out Across the Nation?
Not applicable

So, what do you have to do when traveling from 3G to 4G to get it to connect to 4G?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The only problem i have is handoffs. Most of the places I go here have 4G, but here and there do not. Turning off my phone for 30 seconds usually gets data. Sometimes I get lucky and it connects right away.

0 Likes
Not applicable

That sounds like a pain, but I don't drive in and out of the Atlanta 4G area that often.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Doesn't happen enough to be a real pain for me. I don't go out in the field enough where there is no 4G coverage.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

jimfitzgerald wrote:

So, what do you have to do when traveling from 3G to 4G to get it to connect to 4G?

When I am in an area I know is 4G and I still see 3G, I go in and out of Airplane mode and I am good to go.

0 Likes
Funker_Vogt
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you are telling me that they do not differentiate between 4G and 3G despite the massive amount of new phones that use the new 4G LTE network? 3G works, 4G is spotty at best, and the best thing we can do is use airplane mode or a reboot to get 4G connectivity and somehow Verizon is not at fault because they don't promise 4G data?  Odd, my RAZR box has 4G LTE on it, my phone has the 4G LTE SIM card inside of it, there's a card inside the box with Verizon 4G LTE... doesn't say anything about 3G but it sure has a lot of 4G LTE symbols and discussion of buying a 4G LTE device that is ten times as fast as 3G, not that I'd know since I used about five minutes of it in the last month.  That's your opinion, but I have a feeling Verizon would be found guilty of misleading advertising since they keep advertising on television about their reliable 4G LTE network using their brand new 4G LTE phones.  As I said, I would be best served asking a professional about that.

When I was in high school back almost twenty years now, we had two teachers handling the primitive network and they never were able to handle it well... why? One was a Mac user learning how to use a PC.  The network crashed constantly.  Several of us who used PC software offered our help but they refused it.  This is an example of a network that was fallible and failed often because the people behind it didn't know what they are doing.  I am hearing ten thousand different reports about what is going on all over the web: Motorola's at fault for a handshake type issue, Verizon only has 40% of the network running, Christmas rush overwhelmed the network, some phones may require replacement of hardware, and you name it people are claiming it as the problem.  Everytime I speak to a Verizon rep, the story changes.  One time it is their fault, another time it is Motorola's fault, a third time it is the phone's fault.  Can you at least understand how those of us with this problem feel when we are told so many different things?

You said about a complete network conversion but from one of the many things I've read, Motorola is supposed to release an improved connectivity update to 4G LTE later this month.  Again, I really would love to know what is really going on.

I am getting data, but I am not getting the data speeds I signed up for.  People buy 4G phones for the speed of a 4G network or else they'd buy one of the many, many 3G phones out there.  Why else would we upgrade? I was going to get a Bionic until the RAZR came out, ironically enough, since both phones have this issue.

I don't think you read my AOL story correctly.  You are talking about the more recent issue with cancelling accounts and AOL refusing to do so, while my story revolves around the year 1996.  AOL decided to add the unlimited plan to their service that allowed people to sign on "unlimited" amount of time with basic features for a specific monthly fee as opposed to the old hourly fees, this is back when the 56k modems were used.  So many people bought the unlimited plans and called in that AOL's modems weren't able to handle the load and for months most people barely could sign in and spend any time on the network.  This is what caused an eventual class-action suit against them which was won by the people.  Also of note: In 1992-1993, they had another issue of overcharging credit cards and got sued that time too, and lost again.

Out of curiosity, which network do you consider to be the most worth your while for your cellular usage? 

0 Likes
Funker_Vogt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been doing that very thing when I start my phone and it is KILLING the battery to switch it again and again.  I might just switch it totally to 3G if I don't have a place to plug it in for a while, although the charge is like five minutes for 20% of the battery which is incredibly nice.  The phone is awesome, the current state of the network isn't.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Honestly either or really. I prefer my Droid 3 due to the keyboard, but I love ICS overall layout over previous Android versions skinned or not. Most of my work is in software development and security so most of my work is done via computer, but I also am in charge of maintaining our office network as well as some other stuff I can't say(military related).

There are some things I have to say beforehand before continuing. Hawaii has 3 major data pipelines. One is owned by AT&T and 2 by the USM. Data upload speeds are capped by our ISP is 1mbps. 3G and 4G upload speeds by AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile actually give us faster upload speeds. Sprint gives us 1/2 of what our normal ISP gives us unless you are on 4G Wimax.

Now movong forward. For what my coworkers and I do 3 out of 4 carriers 3G gives us more bang for our buck. Even with Verizon 3 outages a month of 4G still gives us our best speed vs price(we all still have unlimited data plans). With 3G and the reason I don't mind much for network hiccups is because we rely more on upload speeds than download speeds. Anything greater than 1mbps and cheaper than $50 a month is a steal.

As for reps... I have NEVER ever expected when I call a call center to expect all of them to know everything about what is going on. They are NOT on the field and deal with the network. People are different and some are not as tech savvy as the guy sitting next to them. This happens with all companies whether they outsource or not. I expect my workers that do the help desk to know things, but the last 2 years we have had a lot of people applying for positions available that are not qualified at all or just honestly fit in that environment... But we have to hire someone... It happens... I see it no different with the public sector.

I think you got the AOL deal mixed up. I was able to cancel my contract no problem when they had network overloads for long period of time. The only lawsuit I remember getting emails for were what I have listed. Though its been a while since then.

The best advice I can give people. If you want reliability go for 3G devices. 4G is going to get there, but it is a new network. It will have blips... The 40% complete is probably coverage nationwide vs. Actually completed in the areas where they have 4G. AT&T had the same problem when they rolled out 3G(their voice is GSM, but their data is CDMA). Verizon is the opposite. If you don't mind blips here and there then 4G speeds is the way to go... 10+mbps uploads for $30 is godsend for most of us in Hawaii. 25mbps+ downloads is great too.

wayne8821212
Enthusiast - Level 3

I remember those nostalgic days. The problem was that when Aol stopped charging $2.95 per hour and went to "unlimited" many people remained connected (once they got on) to avoid the busy signal that they might have encountered by disconnecting and dialing in later. Aol was probably relieved in a way when Net Zero and Free I (remember them?) soaked up some of those clients dialing in!

0 Likes
wayne8821212
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would say (at least in Baltimore/Washington DC area) when there is no network outage (of which I think I count 5 or 6 since I got my T-Bolt on March 19th) it is consistent and smooth. To my pleasant surprise, speeds have not diminished with number of subscribers. I actually top out at 44-52mbps down and 3-3.5mbps up in the strongest areas (which are numerous. Despite the 3 most recent outages, I just upgraded (10 months into my one year contract) to the hTC Rezound (unfortunately the one year contracts are a thing of the past). I was thinking of holding out to see if Verizon picks up the Quad Core hTC "Edge" but now I guess I have to wait 2 years (I am not good at 2 year contracts LOL....ETFs to ATT, Verizon and Sprint in 2009, 2010 and 2011 respectively, to come back to Verizon).

0 Likes