Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
4G and Fireall
sundance

I am a rank newbie to computers and Verizon.  Have used Iphone tethered for last 4 months and decided to go to Verizon when 4G was announced realizing 4G was in only a few large cities.  Since we spend perhaps 3-6 months in those cities per year we thought it would be a good switch from AT&T rather poor service in some of the outlying smaller communities.  After having mucho difficulty getting the Pantech UML 290 set up and activated, I spent hours with two seemingly knowledgeable technicians trying to figure out why I could not log on.  Finally after dealing with problem till 11:30 PM I went to bed.  Next morning I decided to turn off firewall and try to connect.  It connected immediately and was as fast as my old land line DSL.  Wow, was I ever impressed.  Unfortunately the high grade engineer with Verizon in New Jersey was not able to tell me how to connect with my Windows Firewall turned on.  I do have Verizon Access Manager program as exception to firewall along with portable wireless devices.  Nothing seems to help resolve how to keep connection when the firewall is on.  I use Windows 7 and the only ethernet connection I have is direct to my Brother printer which does not go through a router or switch.  Suggestions anyone please.  BTW the Verizon Engineer suggested I contact Microsoft to help as it relates to a firewall problem.  I have tried unsuccessfully to reach MS Engineer this weekend even in their premium support area. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G and Fireall
kSo9204
Novice

Here is a link to information from Microsoft about the Windows 7 Firewall:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Firewall-frequently-asked-questions

You may need to change the settings in order to "allow a program to communicate through the firewall". There is also information listed advising that there could be conflicts between 2 firewalls as the broadband device would have a firewall setting of its own. 

0 Likes
Re: 4G and Fireall
sundance

Hey, thanks for the comeback.  I have spent many hours with tech support now.  With Verizon techies and level 1 and level 2 Microsoft folks I am worn out dealing with the firewall issue.  Currently I have to operate the 4G without windows firewall turned on.  You would think if the Pantech 290 also had a firewall running the Verizon or Microsoft folks would know about it or discover it.  I have no complaints about Verizon 4G except for this firewall issue.  It is very fast as compared to my AT&T Iphone tether.  I have just tried to find settings as you describe to set the Pantech to "not automatically connect" and the only place I can find is on IE Tools under Lan settings which I suspect is not where you think I can find it.  This automatic connect issue has just become a somewhat recent problem in last day or so.  I was in hopes it was related to the firewall issue.  Any suggestions you may have would be appreciated.   

0 Likes