4G and Global Ready Phone PLEASE!!!!
NoFoolHere13

Come on Verizon, give us a 4G global ready phone.  I don't care if I can't use 4G everywhere.  It can downgrade to 3G when necessary.  It's OK.  What's not OK is punishing users for needing global phones by making them buy old technology.  Who wants to buy technology that's outdated before they even buy it?  All because you refuse to get off of the CDMA Titanic.  Every time I hear about a new phone, I rush to go look for its global compatibility, only to discover that once again, I am part of the left out demographic.  Just release the capability please.  In the mean time, I will keep my poor outdated Blackberry, and not upgrade, not commit to a new contract, and look for other carrier possibilities.  At least by using it, my family can reach me while I travel for work. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G and Global Ready Phone PLEASE!!!!
Curious_Customer

I feel your pain! I have been looking for the same thing for at least 6 months now and get disappointed every time!  It seems like a waste of time when they create a new phone that does not have all the newest capabilities.  In addition to the fully global ready capabilities, I would like a tablet version like the one that AT&T is offering... large screen, phone capable, and ready to be used anywhere in the world!  Is that too much to ask for?  All the technology is there, just put it together!

0 Likes
Airstream25

I completely agree. Give us a 4g phone that works in the US and degrades to 3g if necessary when traveling overseas.

What is so hard about this? We already have 3g global phones, so just add a 4g radio to it.

By the way, I see very few comments requesting this. Do the rest of you International travelers have your tongues tied or is this forum to obscure to see and post to?

0 Likes
keitoflan
Enthusiast - Level 3

As far as I understand, the reason Verizon is slow to release a 4g global phone is they have not figured out how to fit all the various radios in the device without issues with compatibility or overheating.

the reasons ATT and Tmobile can easily have 4g global phones is because their 3g network is a GSM network (hence why they use SIM cards and Verizon doesn't for 3g phones) and their 4g network is HSPA+ which is cross compatible with their 3g SIM technology. Additionally most foreign countries have GSM networks. therefore as long as you unlock the SIM slot a multitude of foreign networks are compatible.

HOWEVER, with Verizon, their 3g is CDMA and uses non-sim card technology. Therefore to build in a CDMA radio, a 4gLTE SIM slot and radio, and additionally a GSM global radio is a tall order.

Additionally, there are some countries that had large CDMA networks that only Verizon phones can tap into due to the CDMA radios in Verizon phones that ATT and Tmobile phones lack...

0 Likes
MBGarcia

I am with you - Verizon has best domestic service but are way behind in International service - especially in Asia.  I hate to go back to AT&T but it seems Verizon is forcing me in this direction but not addressing this problem.

0 Likes
MBGarcia

Do you know if they will solve this problem anytime soon?

0 Likes
JonDoh
Contributor - Level 1

Actually, it wouldn't be that tall an order.  The way 4G works on Verizon right now only data is being carried over the 4G antenna, voice is still being transmitted over the 3G network.  So, they wouldn't have to worry about 4G on the GSM side and keep the same antenna they use for their current crop of dual radio phones.  They may be holding off because Verizon is trying to move LTE phone technology to where both voice and data are going to be transmitted over 4G later this year.  At that point you may very well see some dual radio phones released.

0 Likes