4G questions
colfrmb

On my 3rd phone in a month.  Got this third phone when phone #2, in a call to 911, actually told me that my phone was not activated. A few minutes later I got an incoming call.  VW said it was my phone.  I have had a number of times where people have gotten a msg that my number has been disconnected.  VW said it was my phone but I know other people who have had this happen.  Now with this phone I am visiting Los Angeles and have full 4G coverage.  But still I get many times where my phone can't get GPS connectivity and/or network connections.  The tether feature is not great enough to warrant paying for it, IMO.   I loved my PDAnet app on the Droid but I guess VW killed it? 

Does anybody know if PDAnet works on the Tbolt?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4G questions
Not applicable

That is strange that it would give an error that your phone number is "either not active or invalid."  This is generally a network issue with outgoing calls.  With incoming calls, if people are getting a message that your phone number has been changed, disconnected, or no longer in service that could be network-related as well.   If it was device related, they would at least still be able to get your voicemail whether your phone is turned off or at the bottom of a lake.  

There 2 things that could be causing this:  1) You have a 3rd party app that is forwarding incoming calls intermittently to a number that doesn't exist (when you download an application, sometimes it's required to give it access to phone calls when you accept permissions).  2) There is something wrong with your profile in the switch or an incorrect roaming setting in the switch.

I will PM you to check your profile in the switch to see if anything is set incorrectly, but in the meantime, I would like you to try and update your phone.  There are instructions in this link if you haven't already done so: http://support.vzw.com/system_update/thunderbolt.html

I hope this answers your question.

0 Likes
Re: 4G questions
colfrmb

I am doing the update right now...thanks for that tidbit.  I hope it helps with lots of things.  I totally agree with your first paragraph.

I don't have any call forwarding s/w on my phone other than what is out of the box. 

Isn't the profile established when the phone initially connects with the network and is all automatic? 

When I was working with tech support regarding the 911 issue, at one point the tech who was reviewing my calls said that there were times when my phone registered as some other phone hardware and he gave me some numeric name for a phone and we both agreed that it wasn't the model of my phone.  We were wondering if there was some hardware issue with my phone that was messing up the process intermittently.  His solution was to send me another phone.  I have not had that issue since then but I haven't had to call 911 for that matter either.  Not sure if it was coincidental about what I was calling or what.

That being said, my husband travels outside the US to remote parts of Canada on a regular basis.  He has a regular 3G flip phone.  He says that oftentimes people will call him and say that they got the message that his phone is no longer in service and he thought it had to do with where he was at the time.  Personally, I would hope for the network to at least be able to access his account info and if it couldn't actually send a call to the hardware that the network would send the call straight to voicemail. 

What is supposed to happen if you are in a remote area?  Should he just suspend service if he is going out of range for a week or so?

0 Likes
update successful?
colfrmb

I manually updated my phone as you suggested.  Then three other times during the course of that day I got popups saying that I needed to update my phone again.  It was the same release number with the same download size.  Not sure what happened with that... or if it was successful any of the times I allowed it to download. 

0 Likes
Re: update successful?
colfrmb

Still having lots of failures trying to connect to the GPS.  I have all three GPS sources checked in my settings.  Happens in the city, in the suburbs, at my house.  Rebooting doesn't seem to make a difference.  About 90% of the time, I can't get a GPS signal.  Sometimes it charts a route but the start location is now where I am.  I think if it can't find a GPS signal, it uses the route from the last stored location.    THis is definitely slower than the 3G was with my Droid 1.

0 Likes