4g Network - HTTP/FTP constantly drops out after ~ 30 minutes of use
jsz1

I am having the same issue with both my mifi 4g and Thunderbolt (hotspot):

- I am able to connect to the 4g network and everything works fine (speeds are quite impressive)

- After ~ 30 minutes of use I am not longer able to browse the web and/or ftp files

- ping and DNS resolution continues to work 

- a soft reset corrects the problem

I have been able to duplicate this same issues in San Jose, Phoenix and LA.  

To date, Verizon customer service has been of no help.  As such, I have filmed and uploaded to youtube a video of my expierence:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AQMMK87N2g 

Perhpas someone can help?

Thanks
JSZ 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4g Network - HTTP/FTP constantly drops out after ~ 30 minutes of use
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

jsz1 wrote:

I am having the same issue with both my mifi 4g and Thunderbolt (hotspot):

- I am able to connect to the 4g network and everything works fine (speeds are quite impressive)

- After ~ 30 minutes of use I am not longer able to browse the web and/or ftp files

- ping and DNS resolution continues to work 

- a soft reset corrects the problem

I have been able to duplicate this same issues in San Jose, Phoenix and LA.  

To date, Verizon customer service has been of no help.  As such, I have filmed and uploaded to youtube a video of my expierence:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AQMMK87N2g 

Perhpas someone can help?

Thanks
JSZ 

Thank you for your feedback. I have watched your video and will be sending you a private message to help address your concerns. We will need to speak to you to address the specific concerns expressed. 

0 Likes
oosillyoo
Enthusiast - Level 2

jsz,

Please update all of us on how this conversation goes, if you don't mind. If it's anything like the ones I've had with VZW support it will be a waste of your time.

0 Likes
jsz1

No progress yet.

I recieved the following messgae @ 5:07pm on 6/16:

edw@vzwsupport

Hi Jsz1,

I am reaching out to you in wanting to assist you further. Please respond to this message with your wireless number and your name. I can try to contact you back for assistance within 24 to 48 business hours after the receipt of the reply. For more immediate assistance, it is recommended you call us at customer service at 800-922-0204 with your device available and fully charge. Please try to have your laptop available so we can trouble shoot further. If this is a good option for you, I hope we can resolve your concerns.

At 5:47 on the same day I recieved:

edw@vzwsupport

Hi Jsz1,

Adding to the message sent earlier, your issue was escalated to another technical representative to address your concerns. This individual will be in contact with you to assist further, so you can disregard my earlier message.

Thanks,

To date - no furhter communication has been recieved. 

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

This is Verizon 4G, do searches for "Verizon 4G disconnects" and you will find a ton of these posts all over Droid forums and here.  They can't fix it, it's existed since day one of 4G.  Beleive me it doesn't get any better, I have had the  3 Pantechs, 2 LGs and now the MIFI (worst of group but thanks to them I am stuck with it.)  Every single device has done that exact same thing, they hvae a serious network problem and appear to no idea how to fix it.  If you are outside your 14 days all you can do now is google "Verizon class action" every day like the rest of us....

0 Likes
jsz1

Lovely.  

Well please do let me know if there is a class action.  When I attempted to return the mifi --- within the original 14 days of purchase - they wanted to charge me a $35 restocking fee.  

0 Likes
jsz1

Got the following update from VZW today:

Mike

Hi JZ:

Sometimes tickets do get closed without contacting the customer.  I have already escalated this all the way to the top and have received word that our device issues team are working on this.  A future MR update (software push) will address these issues.  The top people are already involved and working on it. We are just waiting on the resolution.

Thanks,

-----

It would be great if the VZW team would publicly acknowledge. 

0 Likes
magikality

Any luck with the newest Aug29 firmware update and traffic dropping? I've noticed a VERY strange phenomenon since the update: Wifi LED will flicker/shut off randomly (stopping traffic from iphone or laptop obviously), and occasionally get stuck trying to find either 3g or 4g service. Never did it on previous firmware, and I have 2 Samsungs & new SIM cards doing the exact same thing. Very frustrating.

I was tempted to get a tiny cradlepoint & USB modem but there are plenty of posts indicating disconnect issues there too, which makes me suspect some network routing/infrastructure issue.

Note to Verizon Support: I'm VERY dissatisfied with the general unreliability of the this product & service, despite 3x device swaps/resets/SIM cards/etc. As the owner of a fairly large IT consulting firm here in Miami, our corporate clients would *fire* us same day if these types of issues persisted with our installations & monitored network infrastructure. I know it's consumer grade with no SLA but daily trouble is unacceptable. Calling in support and wasting our time & patience performing the same 3 steps that won't fix it either adds fuel to the fire (reset, reboot, replace). Would you keep a car that started "sometimes"? The uncertainty would drive you to replace it FAST.

Understand that we were planning a rollout of 4G connectivity as failover for a large base of installed firewalls for our SMB clients pending testing, and my techs and I pulled the plug. It appears the hardware and/or network isn't mature enough for consumer use let alone business. 3G is solid tho!

First rule of Public Relations: FILL THE VOID. If there are known issues then likely the engineers have a plan & implementation timeline, and this should be made known, with deadlines, instead of leaving us locked into a contract and paying for a service that doesn't perform as promised. 

0 Likes