4g Possibly?
Bosgarage57

SO I am about 3 miles away from 4g, but last night playing with my new rezound I got 2 bars of 4g if I held my phone just right lol.  Does this mean its possible if I get a booster I could get 4g?  Any suggestions on what I could do to try this theory out?  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 4g Possibly?
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

See these test results using Wilson 4G booster. Haven't tried it myself, but according to that page, if you can get even a brief 4G signal, there's a good chance a booster could help.

0 Likes
ctone

Im not sure i understand, you say you get two bars of 4g, and your asking if you get 4g?

I don't pretend to be a wireless broadband expert but here is some things i've learned.

As far as boosting or amplifing goes, it's usually better to use an antenna to increase your signal strength because a booster/apmplifier boost noise as well so if your signal can be too degraded so that it won't help.  Usually an antenna is cheaper as well.

I used my thunderbolt at home and noticed it was receiving LTE at about two bars with good thru put.  Now bars by them selves are not a good predictor of 4g connectivity but my phone was pretty fast on the internet so i bought a usb modem to connect to a cradlepoint router along with an external panel antenna and that is how i get access to the internet from my home.

Hope something above answers some of your questions.

Cheers

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

ctone wrote:

As far as boosting or amplifing goes, it's usually better to use an antenna to increase your signal strength because a booster/apmplifier boost noise as well so if your signal can be too degraded so that it won't help. 

This is not necessarily true.  Boosters like the products offered by Wilson already have filters built into them.  Even though the boosted noise may be taken in, it is not making it through to your device.  A powered product (antenna/booster/repeater/etc) will always be more helpful than a non powered product like the smaller external antennas. 

It really boils down to how much money you want to throw at increasing your signal strength.  Small antennas may get you by, but they are not superior to some of the larger and more expensive products that are available.

0 Likes