Antenna port on 4510 - is it for 3G only?
sprice1h

I'm using a 4510 MyFi.  I keep it set to receive LTE only, and generally get 2 or 3 bars.  I'm trying to boost that with an antenna, and have tried two of them (a mini-antenna with a magnetic base and a panel antenna; both specified to operate in the 700 mHz 4G band).  Neither affects the signal at all, at least not in the LTE (4G) mode - I have no idea whether the 3G signal gets stronger.

I'm wondering if my 4510 is defective.  Does anyone know whether the antenna port on the 4510 is only for 3G, or should the 4G signal get better with an antenna? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Antenna port on 4510 - is it for 3G only?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Im not sure about LTE but when it comes to 3G signals anything below 80 dB is a strong signal.  The numbers that your displaying here do not sound like a cause for alarm.  Small and unpowered antennas are most effective when signals are average to poor.  I'd trust the numbers instead of the signal bars on the E-Ink display.

You can also try running a speed test in a few different areas.  I like to go to www.speedtest.net.  Make sure to run the tool several times in each location to get a good average.  4G performance should be between 5 and 15 Mbps.  You also might want to try running atleast one speedtest outside your home/office too.

SINR = Signal to Interferance and Noise Ratio.  It is calculated as Power of Signal / (Power of interferance + Power of Noise).  As the name suggests this statistic is helpful for displaying the interferance in your area.  Try moving around your enviornment and see if you can find any areas with different SINR.  My guess is that your SINR will not fluctuate very much.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I do have an external antenna that I like to use with my MiFi and it does improve my 3G reception by 5-10 dB where I normally work.  I have not tried to use a 4G antenna in a 4G area to see if they work any better or not.  Here is the antenna that I use:

https://www.sierrawireless.com/wheretobuy/onlinestore/default.aspx?SCID=6&ShowAccessories=yes&SKU=60...

The improved reception that your antennas are giving might not be obvious when looking at the E-Ink display.  Try looking at the diagnostics screen under the MiFi.Admin webpage and look for the specific dB numbers for your LTE signal.  Check the numbers before and after you use your antennas to measure the improvement.

Lookup Wireless Diagnostic Statistics

1. Sign into your MiFi

2. Navigate to Advanced > Diagnostics

3. Click the Modem Status button

4. Scroll down and review your LTE signal

5. Click the Modem Status button repeatedly to get a good average

0 Likes
sprice1h

The LTE signal bounces between about 85 and about 44 dBm, with or without the antenna connected.  The item "SINR - LTE" bounces around in the range 6-13 DB, with or without the antenna connected.  Does that give any clues?  Whether it does or not, I appreciate your effort.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Im not sure about LTE but when it comes to 3G signals anything below 80 dB is a strong signal.  The numbers that your displaying here do not sound like a cause for alarm.  Small and unpowered antennas are most effective when signals are average to poor.  I'd trust the numbers instead of the signal bars on the E-Ink display.

You can also try running a speed test in a few different areas.  I like to go to www.speedtest.net.  Make sure to run the tool several times in each location to get a good average.  4G performance should be between 5 and 15 Mbps.  You also might want to try running atleast one speedtest outside your home/office too.

SINR = Signal to Interferance and Noise Ratio.  It is calculated as Power of Signal / (Power of interferance + Power of Noise).  As the name suggests this statistic is helpful for displaying the interferance in your area.  Try moving around your enviornment and see if you can find any areas with different SINR.  My guess is that your SINR will not fluctuate very much.

0 Likes
sprice1h

Yes, it helps a lot and it's comforting to know that I can still learn something new now and then..  Many thanks.

0 Likes