Back to Basics: 4G, 4G extended, & 3G -Where am I wrong?
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

It's an adventure testing the coverage while moving around full-time in an RV.

The 4G has been great around Jacksonville & St Augustine.  Further inland it's becoming more of a challenge.  By the Map I'm 4G with a troublesome little Extended patch across the road.

I'm getting only 1-2 bars on the signal gauge people tell me is useless.   But I was getting 4 solid bars elsewhere.  The signal drops entirely and I'm disconnected.   So far I'm learning to cope.

Here's my question: What happened to 3G?   My understanding was:  4G Here,  3G Everywhere.  -Extended if you're lucky.

What I'm now getting is 4G or nothing.   Shouldn't Access Manager slip down to a slow, but steady 3G, where I could continue plodding along in email maintenance that doesn't need any more speed than I can type?

Where am I wrong?  Is there no 3G in 4G territory?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Back to Basics: 4G, 4G extended, & 3G -Where am I wrong?
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

OK; to answer my own question: "Where am I wrong?",   There's a geographical signal shift (location) and a stationary signal shift (intermittent tower transmission & modem reception).

Apparently the location shift is automatic & working.   If you drive from 4G to 3G  Access Manager automatically adjusts (most of the time).

But tower signal shifts? -you lose.  Dead in the water.     (BTW, I've noticed that switching to 3G doesn't help.  It fluctuates exactly like the 4G, just slower.)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
If 3G was there before, it should still be available.

There are locations where 4G LTE is that only had extended 1x network. An area near the Omaha/Council Bluffs metro is an example.

I am not familiar with the settings for usb modems, but are there settings to force or turn off the 4G LTE signal if it is being difficult?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Ann;    Update.  There is 3G here, but I had to go to the Network Selection tab and manually choose the CDMA - something -  and it re-initializes the modem,     something I thought was supposed to be automatic.

3G Speedtest?   < 1 mbps   , an irritating speed.   You have to disable Flash before you go to sites with animated advertising.

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

OK; to answer my own question: "Where am I wrong?",   There's a geographical signal shift (location) and a stationary signal shift (intermittent tower transmission & modem reception).

Apparently the location shift is automatic & working.   If you drive from 4G to 3G  Access Manager automatically adjusts (most of the time).

But tower signal shifts? -you lose.  Dead in the water.     (BTW, I've noticed that switching to 3G doesn't help.  It fluctuates exactly like the 4G, just slower.)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Tower signal shifts?

Well that actually makes sense. I experience a lot of fluctuations in a downtown area where the phone is not moving, but the signal sure does change a lot. :smileysad:

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes