Re: Bionic 4g/3g compatibility issues
mikeruoc1

I am having tons of issues with it falling back and forth between 3G and 4G. My 4G Mifi stays 4G the whole time. Bionic just flip flops all the time. How this phone go out like this is beyond me. The funny part is about 2 or 3 days after it came out the list of known issues was leaked on the net. So Moto and VZ knew it had this problem when it went out the door. So strike 2 in my book. Now we are no a month into this being on the market and we dont have a fix! Early Nov is what VZ says. That is unaccetable. If you let it out like this then at least fix it ASAP. 

0 Likes
diddybuck1982

It is not your phone it is Verizon and their network. Read the post below. I am starting a revolution because the more that I read I am realizing that it isnt a problem with only one phone or manufacturer it is Verizon. Read the post below and I am sure it will seem like the article is talking about you. It made me feel that way.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09/22/dear-verizon-your-4g-phones-all-have-data-connectivity-probl...

0 Likes
budone
Legend
Great Link! Lots of info...... It is also a broken link

Take two
0 Likes
Lonegreyhat

As an update to my previous post, my phone's uptime has now hit 72 hours without a reboot - data connectivity has been flawless. I've watched it switch between LTE, EV and 1X throughout my travels the past few days without a hitch. After studying the behavior, my suspicion is the battery saving power modes put the non-active portions of the chip into a low power state e.g. if you're in an LTE area, it puts the EV/1X portion into sleep mode. The problem arises when you leave one coverage area for another i.e. leave the LTE area (even briefly). I'd be willing to bet this is being caused by resource locks not being released - Verizon, check your semaphores!

0 Likes
Re: No connection
Not applicable

jsr7 wrote:

Had my bionic since release date, had no issues and the last few days no connection. I'm in a strong 4G area and I can't get a connection period.  So dissapointed I'm paying for something I can't use.....what a waste of $.

Jsr, I can definitely understand that not having a data connection at all would be a frustrating issue. Have you tried removing the battery and SIM card for this issue? I also suggest toggling the Network Mode setting. If you are still getting no data after this, we would need to narrow this down to a network issue or a device issue. Is this only happening in one location? If you travel a few miles to a different location do you pick up data on your phone? If not working anywhere, I would suggest doing a factory reset on your device. 

0 Likes
SeaJohn

@MarquiaF_VZW :  I've done all of this on my Thunderbolt: Toggling network mode, using LTE on/off, Turning the radio on/off, toggling airplane mode, using *#*#4636etc., power cycling, pulling battery, pulling sim, replacing sim, and factory resets!  Nothing helps consistently.  Sometimes after doing one of these things the phone will pop back into 4g but will lose it shortly afterwards.  

The phone randomly drops out of 4g into 3g, 1x or nothing for random amounts of time.  I'm in a solid 4g area (OKC).  This happens at work and home (25 miles apart) and various other locations around the city.  

I know 3 other people with TBs and one with a Charge, and they all also randomly lose 4g.  When mine has lost 4g, a friend's TB will be locked solidly to 4g with both phones next to each other, and vice-versa.  I've taken it into a Verizon store while it was stuck in 3G mode, and all the 4G displays in the store were locked on to 4G.  They 'fixed' it by taking my phone into the back and rebooting it multiple times.  A little while after I left the store it dropped back to 3G.

Sometimes I'll go for days without losing 4G (that I know of); somedays I'll not have 4G for several hours during the day.

I really hope Verizon can get a fix for this soon; this is becoming a bigger issue by the day, and Verizon is starting to get some really bad press about it on the blogosphere.  However, I get the feeling that Verizon doesn't know what's causing the problem, and is just hoping that new phone models won't have the problem so that the issue will 'go away'.  Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have spent the money to buy 2 Thunderbolts.  

0 Likes
fadyc

I have the same issues. Picked up Bionic day of release. finally got a repalcement last week, first couple hours was fine then same all over again. I locked to 3G mode cdma only it is helping some but not much, still loosing network connection  so I have to toggle between airplain mode on and off, this is getting old. I asked tech support to switch sim card i got the answer it is a motorolla issue now and working on fix.

0 Likes
iheartdroid

"Settings>Battery Data Manager> Data Delivery>Data Roaming - checked"

Did this and re-booted the phone and it completely solved the problem!

I'm hoping the software update will come soon!

0 Likes
pfeinber

This is not an isolated issue... many other Bionic owners like myself are experiencing 4G/3G/no data signal issues.  Changing to CDMA-only data signal actually doesn't solve the problem for me - just means when data does work, it's slower than I paid for.  Looking forward to a fix from the Bionic/VZW team soon.

0 Likes
tomicoy
I have called verizon and a rep walked me through these steps. After a week I am still having these same problems. I to love the phone but I really wish it would live up to its capabilities. I feel as if I am wasting my money on this phone. At this point, I would not recommend this phone to anyone until these issues are fixed. Its not worth the aggravation.
0 Likes