CGDCONT "ERROR"
pashdown

I'm trying to configure PPP on Ubuntu Linux, and following the instructions here and elsewhere generates a hurdle that I can't get over.  Any attempt to run an AT+CDGCONT command results in the Pantech UML290 responding with ERROR.  Here are the responses in a terminal:

AT+CGDCONT=3,"IPV4V6","vzwinternet","0.0.0.0",0,0ERRORat+cgdcont=1,"IPV6","vzwims","0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0",0,0                            ERROR                                                                           AT+CGDCONT?                                                                     +CGDCONT: 1,"IPV6","vzwims","0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0",0,0                               +CGDCONT: 3,"IPV4V6","vzwinternet","0.0.0.0",0,0                                +CGDCONT: 4,"IPV4V6","vzwapp","0.0.0.0",0,0                                                                                                                    OK                                                                              ATI                                                                             Manufacturer: PCD                                                               Model: UML290VW                                                                 Revision: L0290VWB522F.242  1  [May 12 2011 13:21:52]                           IMEI: [DELETED]                                                           +GCAP: +CIS707-A, CIS-856, CIS-856-A, +CGSM, +CLTE2                                                                                                            
OK

All the PPP scripts recommend the +CGDCONT=3 command, but my modem doesn't appear to like it. I've been able to connect once without that command, but not since.

I called Verizon tech support but when I told them I was using Linux, they flatly refused to help me.  Nice.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: CGDCONT "ERROR"
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

You need to put that card into a Windows machine with the latest VZAccess which will update the SIM card settings in the flash (actual SIM card) + modem. And let it update the firmware if any.

Reboot Windows and run it again.

Now login with a Linux PPP connection to Verizon's Ericsson/ALU PKC which will authentication the connection from an engineering prespective.

The login is: yourphonenumber@vzw4g.com

Password: vzw

Replace "yourphonenumber" with 1112223333 with 111 being the area code. It is essentially North America (US/Canada) +1 notation without the +1 in routing.

That should work.

Of course their not going to help a consumer using Linux, people using Linux are DEVELOPERS AND ENGINEERS. Not end consumers where a support script will guide them through. I'm glad you came here though.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Actually to tell you the truth the NSN (Nokia Siemens Networks), ALU (Alcatel-Lucent), and ERIC (Ericsson) (ticket symbols aligned with the NYSE Euronext, New York Stock Exchange, Euronext Exchange) infrastructure companies, some of the back-end stuff actually runs on embedded Linux for ultra high performance and stability.

0 Likes
pashdown

Is there a special APN or phone number to login to Verizon's Ericsson/ALU PKC?

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Again as said before the APN is "VZWINTERNET" or #3 in the SIM card list.

0 Likes
pashdown

No dice.  I ran VZAccess, checked for updates - none.  Checked to see if the firmware on the modem was updated it - it is.  Connected with VZAccess, rebooted Windows, connected with VZAccess again.

Booted Linux and connected PPP with username (phonenumber)@vzw4g.com password vzw.  Verified traffic was flowing.  Ran "wvdial"  with the traditional script using CGDCONT and no username/password and once again it errored on the "AT+CGDCONT=3,"IPV4V6","vzwinternet","0.0.0.0",0,0" command.  Do I have a bum modem/SIM?  Is there any way to force a flash/SIM update?

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Why do you need to run wvdial?

The PPP connection DOES EVERYTHING, didn't you already verify the traffic was flowing?

Once you login with (yourphonenumber)@vzw4g.com and a tunnel is made you have internet already.

0 Likes
pashdown

I mentioned wvdial because I was just using it for its visible chat response.  Wvdial simply puts a nicer face on pppd.  It still uses pppd in the end. If I I look at the syslog chat script output of pppd, it also errors on CGDCONT=.  In fact, any method I use for sending the CGDCONT= command to the modem errors.  It doesn't matter if I'm using minicom terminal, Windows VZAccess with control-T, pppd, or wvdial, the modem responds with ERROR to any CGDCONT= commands.  Do I have a bum modem or is this normal for Revision: L0290VWB522F.242?

0 Likes
neutrinotau

I'm having some similar trouble on FreeBSD.  I seem to be misunderstanding this part:

"Now login with a Linux PPP connection to Verizon's Ericsson/ALU PKC which will authentication the connection from an engineering prespective."

Is this dialing into #777 and passing the authentication data?  If so, I keep getting invalid init string returned.

0 Likes
neutrinotau

Update:

With a little further reading on another page, I was able to determine that what I needed to use was *99***3# and then send my authentication data.  This actually connected, but then the connection script terminated the PPP session.

0 Likes