Can a neighbor be using my internet?
teresahw

I have text alert on my internet when it reaches 50% usage. I received an alert in the middle of the night when I was sleeping. Also, my usage has increased, but I am not using the internet any more frequently. Is there a way that my neighbor can be using my internet, and if he is, how can I stop it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can a neighbor be using my internet?
Not applicable

I assume you are using a mi-fi and just like wi-fi yes a neighbor can use your connection if you don't have it secure. I knew someone that did this to his neighbor. Even if you have security if you leave the SSID as the default which has VERIZON the name and you leave the default password in there yes I can easily hack into your connection since it isn't very hard to find out what the default password for a Verizon mi-fi is.

0 Likes
teresahw

Thanks Brian68. He just moved in next door and upon meeting him, he asked what internet provider worked here(we live in the sticks) and of course we told him. I will certainly try to find how to change the password. Thanks again.

0 Likes
prettyppam
Enthusiast - Level 3

This could be a much more sinister issue.  If changing password doesn't work, consider the question/link below.

AT least you are still getting alerts.  Somehow VZ stopped texting me about 3 weeks before a MiFi on my F/F plan started going thru the roof... and all this after service by Best Buy!!!!  I've started a question here as VZ has NOT been helpful AT ALL trying to get to the bottom of this.  EVERY promise of info from them, upper level tickets, etc...EVERY ONE has been seemingly dropped, SO, MY QUESTION:

Overage Alert!!  Verizon Jetpack -?Inviting Trojans in to use your computers?

0 Likes