Connecting to Miff 4510L and then to Broadband
Sitecer

I have just upgraded from a USB760 DataCard and find that making connections with the MiFi 4510L is a pain.  No problem connecting wirelessly to the device but find that I have to perform an additional step(Open Browser, access the router and then Connect)  to connect the device to the broadband network.  This is "okay" for a single PC but what happens with multiples ... does each user need to access the router and connect or once a session is active, can others access it by connecting to the router directly?

What am I missing?  Why two steps? The old Access Manger with the USB760 connected directly (single step)

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting to Miff 4510L and then to Broadband
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sitecer wrote:

I have just upgraded from a USB760 DataCard and find that making connections with the MiFi 4510L is a pain.  No problem connecting wirelessly to the device but find that I have to perform an additional step(Open Browser, access the router and then Connect)  to connect the device to the broadband network.  This is "okay" for a single PC but what happens with multiples ... does each user need to access the router and connect or once a session is active, can others access it by connecting to the router directly?

What am I missing?  Why two steps? The old Access Manger with the USB760 connected directly (single step)

Hello Sitecer,

The MiFi 4510L does not require anyone to sign into the router page in order to use the device.  All that your computer, or any other device, needs to know is the wireless password (on the back of the MiFi by default).  Once the proper wireless password has been entered into your default connection manager software then you will be able to access the internet.

There is only one step, but each connection must be wireless.  Directly connecting to the MiFi via USB cable will disable the broadcast and charge the MiFi only.  You cannot use the MiFi 4510L as a tethered connection.  Signing into the web page is only necessary if you want to make changes to the MiFi.  The MiFi acts exactly the same as a normal home wireless router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sitecer wrote:

Hello Sitecer,

The MiFi 4510L does not require anyone to sign into the router page in order to use the device.  All that your computer, or any other device, needs to know is the wireless password (on the back of the MiFi by default).  Once the proper wireless password has been entered into your default connection manager software then you will be able to access the internet.

There is only one step, but each connection must be wireless.  Directly connecting to the MiFi via USB cable will disable the broadcast and charge the MiFi only.  You cannot use the MiFi 4510L as a tethered connection.  Signing into the web page is only necessary if you want to make changes to the MiFi.  The MiFi acts exactly the same as a normal home wireless router.

0 Likes
Nowords4me

John_Getzke wrote:

Sitecer wrote:

Hello Sitecer,

Hey John,

I understand what you say l ... I access the device using my connection manager just fine.  However, with the connection amanger connected to the MiFi, when I ping a site on the internet, I get a response that Host Destination is Not Available and only when I then open a browser and "Connect" via the router URL (192.168.1.1) am I able to ping through and access internet sites. 

Not to belabor the point, but ... unlike other wifi router connections, I must perform these 2 steps to access the internet using the MiFI device.  It is not a big deal since the operation is somewhat analogous to a "subscription" access like at a Starbucks or the ike, however ...

Thanks for your thoughts though ...

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Nowords4me,

Have you had a chance to perform the firmware upgrade yet?  Verizon released the update about Wednesday of last week.  They  decided to make this update mandatory which might explain why you would have to sign into the MiFi before using the internet.

If you have already completed the Firmware Update then you should try to reset your MiFi with these steps:

1. Power on the MiFi

2. Remove the back cover

3. Press and hold the small Reset button next to the battery

4. Release the Reset button once you see the icons light up in unison on the e-ink display

5. Allow the MiFi to power cycle

6. Test your connection by browsing to a website

0 Likes
SIGGGY

Mandatory update??!!  Even essential Windows updates are labeled as "critical" not "mandatory". As I noted in a different post my MIFI is working perfectly and I don't want to update. I have had enough problems with software updates screwing up my computer that I switched to the church of "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" Its a pain to have to connect thru Verizon's admin site--any suggestions on how to cancel these "mandatory" update notifications?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

SIGGY,

There is no way to cancel the update from what I have seen. 

If you havent already been pestered to update your firmware you will eventually.  The MiFi will detect that its firmware is out of date and re-route your internet traffic to its homepage/admin page until it is satisfied.  The only temporary solution is to click the Remind Me Later button on the MiFi admin page.  If you recieved your MiFi 4510L before Sept 7th then you will need to perform the update sooner or later.

I have not seen any reports of the new firmware causing more problems that it solves.  The general consensus on the forums is that it either fixes some of your problems or it has no impact.

0 Likes