Re: Coverage during NY Metro North Commute is AWFUL
forehanded

Seeing similar issues on the New Haven line from Greenwich. I have almost full LTE service on my iPhone X the entire way but my browser can't even load a Google search or play a song on Spotify until I've passed Harlem 125th St.

Anyone else seeing similar things?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Forehanded,

We know how important it is to have strong service where you need it most. There are a lot of factors that go into the experience you will have while riding a train. The train itself is a metal tube that will block the signal from penetrating. There is nothing we can do as this is a physical barrier. Additionally, you are riding with several hundred other passengers in close proximity. The more people trying to connect to a tower, the more congested the connection will be. Finally, we can't always place our towers as near to a train line as might be needed. There are a lot of restrictions on where a cell tower can be built and in many cases, there just aren't locations available to us to erect a tower. 

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes
obilger

I dont buy your explanation as Ive never had an issue on my work phone that runs T mobile. Ill be taking my personal number there as well. 

0 Likes
bkhan82

My commute is from fairfield County CT to NYC and I take MetroNorth and have same issues ie don't have a service during my entire commute except for 5-7 minutes of the commute. Prior to Switching to Verizon, I had T-mobile and did not have any connectivity issues what so ever. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello bkhan82, being on top of your coverage is crucial, especially during your commute. What exactly happens when you try to use the service? Who else is experiencing this problem?

GilbertoL_VZW

0 Likes
cbjohnson

Also terrible on Metro North New Haven line, which is funny since it runs along I-95 ... which is like, the biggest transportation corridor in the country. Cell service no better in my car.

Also, for the rep saying that it's because the trains move too fast ... Have you ever ridden a metro north train? They go like 25 mph. 

0 Likes
JLYUURMAN

I would also like to chime in on this topic.

I ride the MNR Port Jervis Line which is operated by NJ Transit almost every weekday.  Coverage is being provided by antenna sites along the train right of way which is immediately adjacent to the New York State Thruway.  4G LTE seems to always stop functioning from about 2 miles south of Harriman  and while in the Tuxedo Station.  Suitable performance is experienced just before the NY/NJ border and is very good all the way down to the Secaucus Junction, where, there is an issue in the station.   I'd check to see if NJT put in a Signal booster that is affecting service..........

The train is not full of people and operating at a moderate speed.  The signal levels and RSRPs are all good.  There does not appear to be a proper handoff from, perhaps, one VZW zone to another between Harriman Station and Tuxedo.   There is never a problem like this when on the Thruway in the same areas. 

May I respectfully request that VZW address this issue so that there is seamless performance.

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JLYUURMAN, thanks for those details. However, keep in mind that no carrier can guarantee service inside of any location, including a train. There are too many factors that impact the signal. Are you only experiencing this issue on your commute?-Dia

0 Likes