Data Connection Problems with Thunderbolt
sao

I purchased a Thunderbolt at the end of August and all was fine until Sept 28th when I started losing 4G, 3G, 1G data connection.   I was told by Verizon rep on this forum to do a complete reset, which I did yesterday.  Data connection was still spotty the entire afternoon yesterday, so I stopped at the Verizon store on my way home.  They put in a new SIM card and said that would take care of all of my problems.  Well, of course, I'm still losing connections today.  Have only had some 3G, when I know Tampa is a 4G city (and they made a point of telling me that yesterday at the store).  Should I be asking for a replacement phone?  Also, when I have a VM message, It's not showing a notification that there's a VM.  I'm starting to regret the decision that I bought this phone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data Connection Problems with Thunderbolt
tjcard1234
I have the same issue and I'm beyond frustrated. I've gone through 7 replacement phones before they let me upgrade early. I got the thunderbolt and ever since their update on the 28th I had nothing but 4g issues. They quickly pulled the update because it had so many issues. Voicemail notifications not working and a slew of others. I've been searching the forums for weeks now trying to find someone who has the same 4g issues as me. The only way I can get my 4g to come back on is too toggle between airplane mode. Which 10 to 12 times a day is just ridiculous. I have factory reset it and got a new 4g card and it still is messed up. They say a new software update is coming soon. The only thing I can say is to wait for the new update. If it doesn't fix it then I would just ask for a new one. I'm so disappointed with verizon and htc support on the thunderbolt. I am getting rid of this phone as soon as the update fixes it or they send me another one. Good luck to you and I hope the phone is fixed soon.
0 Likes
diddybuck1982

rest assured that it is not just the HTC phones that having this issue. I have a Charge and my issues started on 9/28 as well and still have not been resolved. It is not your phone, it is not you, it is Verizon. Read the link below and it explains your situation i am sure. It did for me.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/09/22/dear-verizon-your-4g-phones-all-have-data-connectivity-probl...

0 Likes
sandytampa

I called Verizon last Friday and they shipped out a replacement phone to me that I received yesterday.  I was not happy to see that they sent me a reconditioned phone because I have only had the "new" phone since August 17th.  So far, so good, it's kept a 4G connection at the office, while driving and at home,  I usually connect wirelessly at home so that has never been a problem.  I haven't had any calls yet to see if the VM issue is resolved.  I'll post back in a few weeks to see if this is still a problem for everyone.  I hate paying for a data connection that I'm not able to use!!

0 Likes
SeaJohn

I've had this issue for months.  I've done everything Verizon suggested, including new sims, factory reset, toggling Airplane mode, LTE on/off, radio on/off, reboots, *#*#4636etc., and more.  Nothing helps.  My phone still intermittently loses the 4g connection.  They haven't suggested trying a new (not new; reconditioned), but I don't want to go that route; I know others who have gotten a replacement, and it hasn't helped.  

It isn't fixed in the upcoming update according to developers forums.

Some think it's due to Verizon's network; others believe it's an inherent problem in the 4g chipsets in these first generation LTE phones.  I don't believe Verizon knows what's going on; they're just hoping the issue's fixed in the next gen phones, and the problem will go away.  Of course the problem with that is that some of their customers who are stuck with these phones will also go away at the end of our contracts, especially if another wireless company manages to come out with a RELIABLE high-speed 4g network.

0 Likes
sao

So far, it's still working with the replacement phone.  Haven't seen anything except the 4G connection.  When I stopped in at the Verizon kiosk at the mall a week or so after I started having problems, I was told that it would be an ongoing problem until 1/1/2012 because they were constantly turning the 4G network off for testing so that it can be released nationwide at that date.  the guys at the store told me that was a bunch of crap and that replacing the SIM card would take care of the problem.  Obviously it didn't but I've got my fingers crossed that this Thunderbolt will work.  If not, I'll be back to their customer service department to get replacement phone after replacement phone...I'll keep on doing it until the contract expires in 2 years if I have to.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Sao, I'm glad to hear the replacement device is working well for you. There is a new software that will be coming soon that does improve data connectivity and resolves the voicemail notification issue. The software will be pushed to your device. You can view the benefits of the software update on our support site

0 Likes
sao

I'm having the same issue now with the replacement thunderbolt.  I was getting 4G connection when I arrived in Cincinnati on Thanskgiving day, but for the last 3 days it's gone between 3G, 1G and no data connection.  I'll see what happens when I return to Tampa tomorrow.  If I'm still not getting a 4G connection, I will contact Verizon again to get a new phone.  I will request a new phone instead of the refurbished one I received as a replacement for the original phone that I purchased in August that stopped working.  At this point, I'm not very happy with this phone.  Unless Verizon will give me a free phone that is better, I'm going to be stuck with this for the next 2 years. 

0 Likes
sao
Spoiler

still having data connection problems now that I'm back in Tampa.  I'll be calling Verizon again this afternoon to get another replacement phone.  I'm ready to dump this phone for good.

0 Likes