Data reception stops working after an hour on one computer
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have one laptop where the 4G connection is constant and works great for approximately 48 minutes.  At about that time, I am unable to load web sites until I disconnect and reconnect to the 4G network.  The laptop has Windows 7.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Data reception stops working after an hour on one computer
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

This also happened to me twice tonight.  VZAM shows me as still connected, but I can't access anything on the web.

I tried disconnecting, but VZAM is so buggy that it won't disconnect.  Eventually (after 3 or so mins), it times out and says unable to disconnect device (or something to that effect).  Only solution is a reboot of the computer.  This is on an XP machine.

Verizon, what's going on?

0 Likes
flrver

I have the same problem. I am on my third device a UML290. If I disconnect and reconnect then it fine for a while. I am in the Orlando area and I have tested this at different locations.

I am a retired IT professional, Microsoft certified, A+ Certified Computer Technician and Network+ Certified Network Technician. I am also a Ham radio operator so I have some knowledge of how radio waves travel.

Right now my RSSI is -57db and my SINR is 15. This is GREAT signal. I have 4 computers and I have the same problem with all of them. I an running XP on one PC and have three Win 7 PC. I just updated the VZAccess software and also update the formware on the USB device.

When I am in the failed mode it is strange because if I bring up a command terminal I can ping yahoo.com and run a tracert to yahoo.com with no problem but I can not get yahoo.com to open in a browser. I think that if I waited long enough, say 10 minutes it may open. I am testing with Firefox, Internet explorer and Chrome and all have the same problem. I trade stocks a lot and have streaming feeds set up and the connect to the service says that it is still connected but so slow that it is not usable. As I said before if I disconnect and reconnect than everything is fine.
Support has had me lock the device into LTE mode from automatic and this does not seem to help. I have a CradlePoint 3g/4g router that support the UML289 and I have the same problem with the connection also.

If you want to stay connected to the internet do not get a 4 G device. This has cost me quite a lot of money  and time due to not being able to stay connect .

0 Likes
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wouldn't say I'm ready to throw in the towel...I think this is fixable at some point, but I'm glad I'm not crazy and there are others with the same issue.

Additional information: I am in the Dallas area.  I have another mini laptop that does not have this problem...so there's got to be something different between the 2 computers.  Also, it is a strange symptom...it's almost like it slows down to a non-working state over time.  I have also traded out SIM cards with a local VZ store with no change.

Hopefully, if we get enough people with the problem, we'll get VZ's attention and get the issue corrected.

0 Likes
flrver

Well I may be giving up. Last night  the modem started blinking RED light, no service and is dead. What makes me even madder is that when I called support they took my information, had me restart my computer suggest a few more things that I had already done , said that the red light means no service and gave me a ticket number. in 1 to 2 days they will decide how to resolve the problem. So its time for me to go to a WIFI spot for the next two days to get on the internet.

Are the LG l600 users having the same slow connections after staying connected for hours? I wanted the UML290 because it has external antenna connections and is a global device but now I just need something that works. Is that too much to ask?

0 Likes
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

Additional information: My work computer with XP is working pretty well, though the speed is a little slower.  I've been connected for almost 8 hours though without a hiccup.  On my Windows 7 computer I've disabled the USB power settings but nothing's changed.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

scotta0471 wrote:

Additional information: My work computer with XP is working pretty well, though the speed is a little slower.  I've been connected for almost 8 hours though without a hiccup.  On my Windows 7 computer I've disabled the USB power settings but nothing's changed.  Any ideas?

scotta0471,  In my experience, the disconnections are very random. I had a 49-hour run of perfect service, and then two disconnections the next day at random intervals.  This is on an XP machine.  

I don't think Verizon knows how to fix it either.

0 Likes
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

dmc271 wrote:

scotta0471,  In my experience, the disconnections are very random. I had a 49-hour run of perfect service, and then two disconnections the next day at random intervals.  This is on an XP machine.  

I don't think Verizon knows how to fix it either.

Normally I'd agree...however in my case on the Windows 7 machine, I can tell how long I've been online by when it stops working...49 mins 9 out of 10 times...every once in a while it happens sooner.  I have 2 other machines, one with XP and one with Windows 7 (mini) that do not have the same problem.  It's not the USB power setting, so it has to be something else.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

scotta0471 wrote:
Normally I'd agree...however in my case on the Windows 7 machine, I can tell how long I've been online by when it stops working...49 mins 9 out of 10 times...every once in a while it happens sooner.  I have 2 other machines, one with XP and one with Windows 7 (mini) that do not have the same problem.  It's not the USB power setting, so it has to be something else.

I believe you.  Very weird indeed.  Perhaps the event log in Windows 7 can shed some light.  What we really need is a log in VZAM.  

Since your disconnections are so reproducible, Verizon software developers need to be in communication with you.   I'm sure you could help them pinpoint the problem.

(BTW, it's not a permanent solution, but you could install the freeware app Connectify on the Windows 7 mini to turn it into a wireless router.)

Cheers,

0 Likes
tradelegs_q

Having very similar disconnection problems here.  Awaiting a reply to this thread with you.

0 Likes