Re: Data reception stops working after an hour on one computer
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok, so this has gotten silly...now it's disconnecting consistently every 31 mins...does VZ support monitor this forum?  Come on super tech guys...what's the Windows setting to stop this madness? :mantongue:

0 Likes
Neander
Contributor - Level 2

I found the problem.  Verizon hired this engineer to adjust their signal strength:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4163/saturday-night-live-ernestine

Those of you that are faster than my current 3G (or have the time) will enjoy it.

This discussion sounds a lot like an earlier one:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/Saturday-1-15-11/td-p/378264

that doesn't seem to have gotten fixed as well as it should.  I learned that if all 3 of my computers, on 3 different OS's aren't working, it's probably Verizon's fault.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flrver;    3 UML290's ?    It looks like you may be having a problem we settled here:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/4G-Discussion/I-am-getting-an-error-Message-when-trying-to-connect-to-4g...

...about the third page in.  It's a solution Verizon doesn't seem to have embrased yet,  but it kept me from returning my UML290 to the store.   It's a simple check:   at the VZA :   cntrl - t ,    & enter     at+cgdcont?      alt F4 to exit

0 Likes
flrver

I got a new modem via Fedex yesterday and I am back to my original problem. I have started trying to get as much information about the problem as I can, this is going to take some time. 

I still have the problem of intermittent HTTP connection after any where from 1 hour to 4 hours.  I ran a few simple test while in the failed state. I stay connected but I can not open a WEB page. If I disconnect and reconnect the problem goes away and I can browse the web again until the next time. 

In the failed state it seems that only HTTP may be affected. I am able to ping Yahoo.com and I ran a TRACERT to yahoo.com with no problem in the failed state. To make sure that it was not a DNS problem I also tried to open the IP number for yahoo.com (67.195.160.76) in a web browser. The page would not open, or would take 5 minutes to open. At the same time my trading platform was streaming data with no problem.

I have tested with 3 PC's running Win7 and one PC running XP and I have the same problem. I also have a 3g/4g router that supports the UML290 and I have the same problem.

I hope that someone at VZ can realize that they have a problem that a lot of people may not realize because the normal user does not stay connected 16 hours a day.

Next week I plan on  following up with a VZ rep that seems willing to work with me. Tonight I plan on downloading the new VZA for MAC and test with my MAC.

0 Likes
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I'm sorry, I didn't understand the whole Ctrl+T hacker thing...I didn't really see how it changed anything.  Anyway, now that computer is down to about 13 mins...my mini laptop with Windows 7 and my work laptop with XP are working great. 

So...what Windows 7 setting gets a USB modem to stop receiving data in a progressively shorter period of time?

0 Likes
flrver

I think that it is working now.

Last night I install the new VZAM on my MAC and stayed connected all night so I started digging in a little deaper. I ran acoss a post dealing with proxy settings. I had thought about the problem being caused buy a proxy and I was going to look for a public proxies to use but got side tracked. lasy week. This was due to the fact that it looked like only HTTP was affected bacause I could ping yahoo.com but not open the wbe page in a browser. Proxy has settings for diffrent protocals, HTTP, FTP and POP.

Last night I checked all 4 of my computers and all had the setting turned of for automatic detect settings. I had always turned this off in the past as I would sometimes see a message about verify proxy settings and since I do not use one I turned it off. Since I enabled the auto setting I have not lost my HTTP connection.

To verify or change this go to Control Panel, Internet Connections, select the Connections Tab, Then select the LAN button and make sure that the Automatic detect settings.

When I worked for Corporate America I had to change the proxy settings all of the time depending if I was connected in the field or behind the corporate firewall.

Time will tell but I hope that this is the fix.

0 Likes
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, the good news is that after rebooting, I'm back to 48 mins.  The bad news is that it only makes it to 48 mins and then I have to disconnect/connect before I can receive data.  I tried the auto setting mentioned earlier, but it did not make a difference.  I have also tried using the connection made through Windows 7...the connection was again ineffective after approximately 48 mins.

0 Likes
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

So nothing new?  Anybody?

0 Likes
flrver

Update, I have changed the settings in VZAM to auto connect. I was told my VZ support that this was an NDIS connection (USB networking). In fact I do not even use VZAM most of the time. Most of the time my connection stays up just fine, some days all day long but every once in awhile I can not get some pages to open until I disconnect and reconnect. 

I have an XP computer using Internet connection sharing feeding a router connected to my other computers. When I have the problem since I am not using VZAM I just disable the UML290 network connection and enable it again and it connects automatically and I am back connected. 

I wish that I could document why I am loosing the connection but lt's very intermittent. No loss of modem connection, not a DNS problem very good signal level and I am at a fixed location not moving. I connect around 8am every day and trade stocks all day long so an interruption in my connection can coast me a lot of money. I am in a 4g area now but in a few weeks I will spend a week in a 3g area and I will see if I still have the problem. I have locked the UML290 into 3g mode and I still have had the intermittent problem here in the 4g area. I can say that since the updated firmware , dialer and changing the settings to auto connect it is a lot better but it is still not working as well as the old 3g service. 

0 Likes
scotta0471
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: VZ sent me a new Pantech card and I transferred over the SIM card.  I am noticing a better connection at work on the mini laptop, though it still does disconnect sporadically, but seems to reconnect right away.  Unfortunately, nothing has changed with the home Windows 7 machine: 48 min on the dot, I have to disconnect/reconnect.  This has to be some sort of Windows setting.  Any Microsoft geniuses on here?

0 Likes
flrver

Possible work around, time will tell. 

I have a possible work around that seems to help the loss of data thru-put after being connected for sometime. I connect around 8 Am and stay connected until 10:smileytongue:m every day. After being connected for a few hours my data connection slows and then stops. I have not figured out why, possible MTU problem since some sites will open and others will not but this work around seems to work for me.

I have configure the modem to auto connect and I have closed VZAM. VZAM is not running and when I start the PC each morning it connects automatically.

I found that when I have the problem if I go to network connections and bounce it, disable it and enable it the connection is fine for quite a while again.

Using a Microsoft command tool I wrote a batch file that can reset my UML290 , disable it and then enable it. I then set up the batch file to run every 2.5 hours using Task Scheduler.

If anyone is interested in this check out http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1886-enable-disable-a-device-from-the-command-line on how to use the devcon command and getting it from Microsoft. You have to run the command and list your devices and then look at the UML290 device for a unique string that you can use to identify the device and then write a batch file with the commands below

devcon disable *USB\{9C26AF91-DF51-4744*

devcon enable *USB\{9C26AF91-DF51-4744*

This is my string, the full list of the device string was not needed with the wild-card use (*).

It looks like this has helped me stay connected, the disconnect is about 45 seconds so most programs do not time out on connections and even my stock streaming app seems to reconnect just fine.

0 Likes