Dead Zone In Norfolk Virginia 23510
Matt14

I recently moved from Virginia Beach to Norfolk Virginia. Only about 6 miles away. At my home in Virginia Beach I got excellent voice service and fast 4G, on average 10 Mbps. Since moving to Norfolk (zip code 23510) my data speeds have been drastically reduced. I've done speed tests everywhere in the weeks since I've moved and my service (voice is ok) is slow. Inside, outside and on the roof of my parking garage in full view of any and all cell phone towers and I still get slow data. About 1 Mbps, if that. I'm paying for 4G, I'm just not getting 4G in Norfolk Virginia. This only happens in the area around my home. I drove to Virginia Beach yesterday and had excellent 4G speeds, same when I went to my Parents house in Pennsylvania for Christmas. It seems to be a dead spot in Norfolk (zip code 23510) (ghent area of the city).

Does anyone else experience this? It's obviously not my phone if it gets great 4G speeds elsewhere.

Any input from others in Norfolk or customer service would be great.

-Matt14

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Dead Zone In Norfolk Virginia 23510
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Matt14- Relocating can be exciting and a little hectic. We definitely want to figure out what is going on with the service in your new location. Also, thank you for providing the speedtest information. Slow data speeds can be more than frustrating and I have checked our map and coverage looks good, overall. In a situation such as this, we would want to open a ticket and have our network team take a closer look at signal where you are located.

sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
Matt14

Great. Is there anything I need to open a network team ticket?

My address and the area where I notice the network dead zone is around the area of (address removed) Norfolk Virgina. And just last night I was at a restaurant about 4 blocks away and I was getting about 8.5 Mbps downloaded. Right now in my apartment I'm getting 1.5 Mbps. downloaded.

Private info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sticking with us while we get this resolved Matt14. I show your area has great coverage and no known issues have been reported. What phone do you have? You can either call us at 1-800-922-0204 or *611 or you can send us a private message with your name and mobile number and we can contact you to get some additional details needed to file the ticket. We would love to trouble-shoot your phone first to see if a SIM pull would work or a reset. Although we cant guarantee services inside, we can trouble-shoot issues outside. This may also help with inside service http://vz.to/IHRT6h .

KinquanaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

and 

0 Likes
Matt14

My phone is the Droid Razr. And yes, I agree with you that the coverage maps show 4G coverage at my address. That was the first thing I checked. Let me be clear again on this = my voice signal is fine. I don't need a voice network extender. I've never had a dropped call.  It's my data connection that seems to be horrible in the past few months.  I know much much more about mobile phones and networks than the average person and I can assure you that it is not my phone for 2 simple reasons among other things: I've already done a factory reset on my phone and the data signal problem still exists. After checking the coverage maps, a phone factory reset was the second thing I did.  And, my 4G data speeds have been amazingly fast elsewhere. I was in Pennsylvania over the holidays and I was getting 20 Mbps downloaded in York Pa. But I come home to Norfolk and I've consistently had on the order of 0 to 1.5 Mbps at my apartment. That is indoors and outdoors - even on the roof of my parking garage where I would expect my data signal to be the fastest due to not having any obstructions to any nearby towers. However, When I travel to Virginia Beach or North Norfolk to where I work it seems like my data speeds are normal/average speeds of about 7 to 15 Mbps.  In my opinion, there's either equipment that's not working properly at the nearby towers or increased network congestion that's causing the slow down.... or it's being throttled by Verizon for some reason.

0 Likes
jp1218
Enthusiast - Level 3

Good Luck!  I am in 32164 and it shows great coverage here.  Can't make a phone call, they start out like they are going to help you then when they realize they can't, you will get..."We show you have fine coverage in that area"  What kind of phone do you have?"  To their surprise we have 3 different kind of phones, so since they couldn't blame it on the phones, the CSR's got nasty. 

My suggestion...Get out now and pay the ETF or pay for a booster, because they aren't going to help you.  It will save you the aggravation in the long run.

0 Likes
Matt14

I've been a Verizon customer for 11 years so I'm familiar with the shenanigans. My contract expires 2 weeks from today, so the ETF is not a problem. This service issue and Verizon's lack of supporting flagship phones, mainly the Nexus 5, will probably be why I will be taking my business elsewhere.

0 Likes
jp1218
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have about 4 weeks left and am stuck between a rock and a hard place.  I would have already switched to AT&T but want to keep the same number.  I recently sold a business and are still trying to collect and stay in touch with customers.  I live and work in a dead zone.  I have to use a land line or drive 2 miles to check my VM every few hours.  What started as a 2 year contract for 4 phones with all the upgrades became like a 10 year sentence. 

Which I will finally be set free soon!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Matt14,

We really don't want to see you go! We have a great line of devices. Why would you consider leaving? What exact features are you looking for in a device?

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes