Re: Dead Zone In Norfolk Virginia 23510
Matt14

Ok. I've figured out this website and I'm not angry anymore. However, my problem isn't a problem for me anymore. I've moved on to another mobile carrier. I've been tracking my usage and costs over the past few months and weighting in on which Verizon wireless plan I should go with next. Here's my list of reasons for letting my 2 year contract expire on Jan 20th and leaving Verizon.

1. Verizon does not have 4G prepaid plans. Your competitors are KILLING you in this sector. I don't want a contract; people don't want contracts. The US is the only stupid country on the planet where mobile providers strangle their customers into contracts. In the long run, contracts are more expensive.

2. Verizon does not support Google Nexus devices. When the Nexus 5 came out I knew that was going to be my next phone. I didn't like any of the other phones that Verizon offers right now that much except for the Galaxy S4 but I'm not paying $650 outright for a phone. I struggled with Verizon and Motorola crap software on phones for the past 4 years. I wanted a pure Android phone. And the Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon.

3. I would have bought a Nexus 5 myself for only $350 (very affordable compared to the S4 retail price) and kept my unlimited data plan going month-to-month from now on but that wasn't an option. And I would have the same data dead spot problem that I started this forum for in the first place.

4. If I got a new phone and new contract I would have been forced to go onto one of the Edge plans which I estimated to be $30-$40 more per month than I was currently paying just for 1 phone! I'm not paying more for the same exact service just because Verizon changed their plan structure. Plus, I was told that the Edge plans are tailored for multiple devices. I only have a phone.

So, I will still send a message to get my original problem fixed but only for the people who are still having a problem. I don't want to let them hanging.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It breaks our heart to see you leave us Matt14. We don't want to lose you. I understand you are no longer in contract with us and are not interested in signing a two year contract. Please know that once you are out of contract, you may continue to keep the same service with us on a month to month basis. The only time you are in contract is when you purchase new equipment at two year pricing. What exactly do you not like about being in a contract? Signing a two year contract will allow you to obtain discounted pricing on new equipment.

At this time we do not have any information regarding the release of the Nexus 5, however, you may register for alerts on new products and services by clicking http://bit.ly/dDumph

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
Matt14

I will never return to Verizon Wireless.

What don't I like about contracts? - Just the fact that it's a 2 year contract. With the money I'm saving per month on my new mobile carrier's service, I'll be able to buy a new $350-$450 Nexus phone every single year. With a 2 year contract and carrier subsidies, part of my monthly payment goes right in Verizon's pocket to pay for the rest of the phone. That's why Verizon can charge $100 for a $550 phone and lock you into a 2 year contract. Verizon is making more money by offering contracts. If you do the math, over that 2 year period you're actually paying more for the phone than what it costs. And it all goes right in Verizon's pocket. Contracts are unheard of overseas and it baffles me how it can happen in this country.

0 Likes
Matt14

my contract ended Jan 20th. I ported my number to Ting Mobile on Feb 11th. I bought a new Nexus 5 for use on Ting Mobile. It uses Sprint's and Verizon's network for awesome call quality and way faster 4G than what was Normal on Verizon. After a month I'm happy for these reasons:

1. My first monthly bill is going to be about $50. That doesn't count the $350 cost of the phone. But I easily make that cost up over the next 12 months rather than if I had been locked into another contract.

2. My service is great. No dropped calls and fast tri-band 4G. I can also use google voice and do WiFi calling. Something that I wasn't allowed to do on my Verizon phone.

3. If I need customer service with Ting Mobile. I pick up the phone, dial the number and a (removed) person based in California answers the phone. And they actually help!

4. No contract. The Nexus 5 is a tri-band phone. If I decide I don't want to stay on Ting Mobile tomorrow or a few months from now I can easily switch my Nexus 5 to T-Mobile, Sprint or AT&T or any MVNO who uses their networks.

5. Because I actually own my phone, Ting and other Verizon competitors are open and friendly to (removed) installing custom firmware on phones. Something I've enjoyed doing in the past that Verizon has used forcible arbitration via the 2 year contract to make "illegal".

6. Nexus 5 is unlocked right out of the box. Enough said.

Comment edited as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes