Dear Verizon
clavin

Why would I want to switch my 3g for 4g?  The only possible answer is so that I can use up my 5GB plan FASTER in the month and pay you more?  Where is the logic in that?  Seriously, please realize that if your going to offer faster speed a 50 dollar 10GB plan at least would be a start!!!!

Sheeesshhh.. what a downer.:smileysad:  5GB cap is pathetic.  What would be wrong with at least a 8 or 10 GB for 50.... An average family living in the middle of nowhere CAN"T afford that kind of $$$

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Dear Verizon
rcschnoor
Legend

Good news is that you shouldn't have to upgrade for at least several years if you do not want. The 3G network is supposed to be operational at least until the end of 2013.

0 Likes
clavin

I think your missing my point.  I would LOVE it if 4G was available for me now.  I'm not against faster.  Sure, I'm very happy/impressed with the upgraded specs, but what does FASTER do for any NORMAL situation except get me to go over my cap faster???  It's almost silly.  We've got faster for you for the same 5GB???  Man, I'm sorry, with all due respect, but who in the board room logically thinks offering the same GB's for only 10 bucks less is going to help anyone?  Don't give me more speed give me more GB's PLEASE!!!!  In this economy I can't afford 80 bucks... Sorry, just a country hillbilly.  Verizon doesn't understand how frustrating it is living in the country not having the OPTION for DSL or Cable.  And having to check your USAGE every other day!  I'm not some rich businessman that can now, take my internet on the fly and cash in on some new way of "doing business".  I believe you guys could DOMINATE the market by offering 50 bucks with LOTS more GB's before the other companies step in... I believe you will regret it if you don't, down the road.  50 bucks for 10+GB's for starters.  My humble opinion...

0 Likes
jupiter837
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hear ya Calvin. I know exactly what your saying. And I for one don't really care about the speed. I am happy with my 3g speed. They talked about plans like DSL plans, where you could  get a slower speed but download more. I loved that idae. I would gladly pay $50 a month for 1.5mbps for 30gbs a month, or something like that. And I really doubt I would use anywhere close to that, but i just wouldn't worry about going over my cap all the time. With the backkaul they'll have with 4g they could offer a plan like that easy. I figure others would buy it too.

0 Likes
Grothka
Contributor - Level 3
I just want to remind everyone that the mobile broadband was not made to be used as the main source of internet connection for people, it's there so you can have internet wherever you go. That being said though, it would be nice to have higher level plans offered... but the increased speed is in no way worthless without it (yea you can get to it faster, but you can also do what you want to do online and then get on withyour life faster too).
0 Likes
clavin

Grothka do you work for Verizon?  Almost ALL inventions are modified or used for even BETTER purposes in the future.  Hmmmmm.  Lets follow that logic.   Lets start with TELEPHONES.  How about this statement...  "Well Clavin, a phone was NEVER invented for the purpose of being wireless"...  Golly Gee, I guess your right.  Everyone GET RID OF YOUR CELL PHONES, they weren't intended to be used wirelessly!  Sorry for the sarcasm, but you obviously don't live in a rural area like A LOT of Americans that can't get any other reasonable form of internet.  All I'm saying is give us a reasonable amount of GB's!  5 GB's  a JOKE, especially on a faster 4G format.  Google it!  Someone already was able to blow through there 5gb's in 32 MINUTES!  Obviously, that is extreme, but the point is the same.  Again, I wouldn't be bitter most likely if I had an OPTION.  Come on Verizon, how about consider us country folks as an exemption of some sort if we can't get your wired service??? PLEASE...  Yes, I'm bitterly dissapointed because for 2 years I've read up on it thinking, for sure they would up the GB's, it would be logical....NOT.

0 Likes
jupiter837
Enthusiast - Level 3

Grothka, Verizon are the ones talking about downloading HD movies, streaming HD tv, Stream movies, video confernece, ect. They are the ones who have billed 4G as being the most advanced network there is, but after saying all this put a 5gb cap on it.  Which makes it only faster than than the 3g network, but other than that not much different.  There is nothing wrong with network management, I understand the need for caps, or some form of throttleing.  But what they are offering is a very fast sports car that you can only drive to the end of the block. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

For what it is worth, Verizon already offers downloading HD movies, streaming HD tv, etc... on 3G service. This is at an additional cost to a person's data plan. Very limited availability area, and Clavin, they are all urban areas.

As for Clavin's analogy, how many years was it before cell phones became cost effective for the average person to afford? 10, maybe 20 years? How's that going to sit since you can't afford it anyway in this economy?

There isn't even anything up yet on the Verizon site for how much the 4G service will be. Yes, I have seen the websites that quote the $50/5GB, $80/10GB prices, but have you seen it on the Verizon site? Will there be an additional premium cost for 4G VCast? Not that I would even pay for it. You can't even peorder the devices yet.

4G will only be available in urban areas in the beginning, anyway. By the time the service is nationwide in 2012/2013, who knows what prices/data allowances will be?

It is 4G LTE(LONG TERM evolution) after all.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

1 last thought. The prices you have seen thrown around are for the data only(USB laptop devices) plans on 4G. There hasn't even been any speculation on what the data plans associated with 4G phones will be yet. They are not even scheduled to be released until midway through 2011.

3G data plans on smartphones are much lower priced than 3G data plans on the USB modems. 3G smartphones have data plans that include "unlimited" data, while 3G USB modems do not.

I have seen nothing indicating that this will not be the case with the 4G phones vs 4G USB modems. I may be wrong, though.

0 Likes
clavin

You make some good points, I don't disagree that prices always come down.  And I know it will be a year or two before I get it.  I'm just saying, for Verizon to claim months ago that 4G/LTE costs 1/2 - 2/3 the price of 3G on their end, it DOESN"T show up in the price.  Not to mention, wireless internet has been out for quite some time, way bac k  in the RX1 days (or whatever they called it) .  Again, I could care less about the phone part of it.  I'm just talking simple internet access.  It's just frustrating for people like me who have NO other option for simple internet.  Netflix streaming? forget it.  Xbox live?  Nintendo Wii downloads?  If you have some rations left over at the end of the month.  Xbox live takes around 50 MB an hour.  Add  4 people wanting to use the internet in your house?  Everybodies rationed... Again, just venting on the fact I can promise you Verizon COULD very easily give an allotment more generous then 5GB and still make out GREAT.  Even 10GB would stop the "hogs" and be plenty of internet.  Like someone already said, offering you a Porshe to take down to the end of the block is cruel.  Especially when your only other option is a BIKE (dial-up anyone?) to get you around the internet.  Those that don't have the stranded country lack of options wouldn't understand.  Including Verizon.

0 Likes