Deteriorating Signal in KCMO last two weeks
TheCheat54
Enthusiast - Level 2

I work in downtown Kansas City, Missouri and my 4G signal has been limited or non-existent the past two weeks with my Galaxy S8. I can barely maintain a 1X connection inside the building I work in even though I had acceptable signal weeks ago. Restarting the phone does help but only temporarily; after minutes, it will degrade back to 1X unless I am literally right against a window. The zipcode for this location is 64105.

Thus far I have not seen even a hint of the 4G service falling back to 3G; it is either 4G (seldomly), 1X (most of the time), or nothing at all (very rare).

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Deteriorating Signal in KCMO last two weeks
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check the network settings, ensure that your preferred network is set to LTE/CDMA.  System updates tend to reset things, and this can cause the behavior you are seeing.

You can also try removing and then re-seating the SIM card; it may have come loose and isn't connecting properly.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I want you to have reliable service wherever you go, TheCheat54. Two weeks is too long for this ongoing issue. I've checked the zip code and see no reported issue outages in the area. Let's look further into this. Were there any changes to the device such as a software update or new applications? Do you know if other VZW users are having the same issue?

ZangY_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TheCheat54
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's weird that I'd tried this before and seen no success, but I do get a weak 4G signal using it now. Will see how long this lasts and report back if issues persist.

0 Likes
TheCheat54
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tried SuzyQ's solution, but my network has already reverted back to 1X.

As far as I can tell, this started after I had two Android security patch updates from Verizon pushed to my S8 on back-to-back days a few days after I obtained it just over three weeks ago. For the first few days I had the S8 the signal was fine. Haven't installed any new apps since my initial loads after I got the phone. Those two updates are the only things that stick out.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TheCeat54,

Let's continue to work together on your signal concern. Does your signal improve when you're outside of work? Do you know other VZW customers with the same concern?

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TheCheat54
Enthusiast - Level 2

No one I know here at work has Verizon to ask. The signal barely gets one bar of 4G if I'm near a window, but other than that I'm sitting at one bar of 1X. My signal everywhere else used to be three to four bars of 4G regularly, but now I max out at two bars tops. I even went a day without my new case just to see if it was interfering with signal at all, but nothing changed.

I just had a call about a personal surgery drop because the one bar of 1X signal was not strong enough and for some reason the WiFi calling is still not preferred even if the WiFi is strong. I've never had such terrible signal in this building.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I appreciate the additional information provided TheCheat54. We want to ensure we get to the bottom of your service concerns. I know you mentioned the issues are when you are indoors. Do you only experience poor service when trying to use your phone indoors? How is service when you are outdoors?

Thank You,

MichelleS_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
TheCheat54
Enthusiast - Level 2

The service outdoors is acceptable. That is unchanged from before this problem started.

I should emphasize here again that my phone has *never* gotten 3G service since this problem started. It is either 4G, 1X, or nothing at all. Normally if my 4G was weak it would drop to 3G and data would still be at least somewhat usable, but that never happens now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information provided. We want to try some troubleshooting. Have you tried resetting your Network Settings? Here is a link on how to do this, https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-211227/.

JavierMD_VZW

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes