Download Speed seriously degraded over 4G LTE iPhone 7plus but not upload
GEOKEN34

I run the speedtest.net app on my iphone7plus and get download speeds of 95 Mbps and uploads of 36/Mbps.

I tether my laptop to a personal hotspot set up on the same device and run speedtest.net in a web broswer connected to the resulting wireless network and get downloads of 16/Mbps and uploads of 36/Mbps.  This makes no sense. Why would upload be throttled and not download?   I don't have unlimited plan and I have plenty of data left in my account so the download speed on the device should be correct.  Are you doing something in software at the hotspot level?

What is going on here?  Something stinks. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Download Speed seriously degraded over 4G LTE iPhone 7plus but not upload
GEOKEN34

Before anyone says anything, the phone is not obstructed at all from the laptop, and even if it was, that wouldn't explain why upload is NOT slower by much and download is reduced by 80%

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which plan do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
johntr_vzw
Verizon Employee

GEOKEN34, making sure you're getting a good download/upload speed is important. I'd be happy to help go over those speeds with you, along with talking about how those speeds can vary without any throttling.

It's fantastic to hear you're getting LTE speeds in the 95 Mbps to 16 Mbps range, for your upload/download speeds. Those are actually well above average. On average, when using LTE customers can expect to see 5 to 12 Mbps for downloads and 2 to 5 Mbps for uploads. This is confirmed on this page, which outlines the average speeds: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-16543/

As to why those speeds can vary at different times, is from the same reasons your cellular signal can change. These variables can be:

•Network congestion

•Weather and nature

•Buildings and physical barriers

•Or an obstructed view of the cell tower

Network Congestion refers to if there are a large number of VZW users in one area. For example, if I go to a major sporting event or a convention with lots of other users there when trying to access the network, I can experience reduced speeds. Changing my location or seeing the number of people decrease in the area, then lessens that congestion.

The only time there may be a reduced speed by requirement, is depending on what plan you're using. Like Ann154 asked, it would be good to know what plan you're on. That way, we can review if there are any situations where you might encounter a reduced speed. Please share that information with us, and we can review the details of that plan.

JohnTr_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question, please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes