Droid 4G LTE data throttle for unlimited plans?
HomeCookN

A couple of months ago I upgraded my old phone to a Razor Maxx, but kept my original unlimited data plan. Until a few days ago, I was getting really great download rates, 15,000 - 20,000 kbps. but in the last few days, the max speeds have fallen to 200 - 500 kbps, maybe a 95% decrease. I'm not a big user, never more than 5 Gigs per month.

What might be going on, guys? Any ideas or advice?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid 4G LTE data throttle for unlimited plans?
Tidbits
Legend

Could be network congestion or tower problems. When I was testing out my usage to the extreme I was getting full speed and I ended up using 40GB that month(my average is 2.5GB).

0 Likes
HomeCookN

Thanks a lot for your info; doesn't sound as though they are holding me back intentionally in your opinion. On the other hand, it's only my download speeds that are slow: my upload speeds are still blazing. If the cause were as you suggest, wouldn't that also reduce my throughput in both directions?

Via 4G LTE DROID, as if you care

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Not always. I won't go into much detail about it. May take forever to explain. However it may not be the network and may be your devices radio or software. Have you tried to see if there is a data saving setting? It might sip on download bandwidth. I am not too familiar with your device.

0 Likes
HomeCookN

Thanks for the fast response, Tidbits! I’ll look into a data saving setting on my phone. I can also tell you that when I’m using Wi-Fi, the download speeds return to their previous fast rate. Thanks a lot for your help. Off to work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

HomeCookN, those were great speeds you were receiving and want to help get you back to those speeds. Are you still having issues with your data speeds? There is no network optimization on 4G LTE devices, so we would need to troubleshoot your device and check for any issues in your area. What city and state are you located in? Does your device still show 4G when your speeds are this slow? Do you notice this happening at a specific time?

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
HomeCookN

Thank you very much for this follow-up! Actually, within 48 hours of my previous email to you, something happened somewhere because all at once the download speeds became blazing fast again, even faster than before. Now I’m consistently seeing speeds between 5-15 Mbps. I did change one thing on my end: between the time I sent you the first email and the return of the great speeds, I turned the phone off and restarted it. Do you think that could have made the difference?

0 Likes
4ktvs
Contributor - Level 1

I had the same data speed issue with a droid razr. This could have just been a one time thing.

I think it did make a difference and you should reboot the phone every now and then by off and then on again. Just about any phone will have issue's after being "up" for so long. Yes even the iphone and WP7 will too.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes