Re: Droid Bionic Canceled??????
nickodemis

It's not the Droid Bionic, it the network. Verizon is on a very aggressive schedule to roll out 4G to replace all of their 3G coverage area by EOY 2013, but they are experiencing some technical difficulties.  In Dec 2011 alone, they have 4-5 major 4G outages. It's mostly due to them upgrading their towers to 4G. I hate it too but they are way ahead of everyone else when it comes to 4G coverage.

Droid will be receiving an OTA (over the air) update soon and from what I read it fixes most of the 3G to 4G hand off issues. Good for those who live in the  fringe areas of the 4G coverage.

BTW, I bought my Driod Bionic in Nov 2011. They did not cancel the Bionic.

New Update coming out 5.9.901:

http://www.droid-life.com/tag/bionic/

0 Likes
Does anyone know when the 3G/4G network will become available again?
mattal
0 Likes
mskayla1025
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm finally able to access the forums again.

So I replaced my Bionic, and wonder of wonders, I immediately had the same issue. This time though, a VZW Corp store employee was helping me and saw it. Hmmm.... So, they have told me this is a Motorola problem and it's been an issue since the release of the device. Really, then why did they let me go through this aggravation from the start? They knew what the problem was and kept quiet. Today, I had a VZW store employee tell me it's an issue with the radio in the phone, and it's gotten worse since the last software update was pushed. Oh gee, thanks! Now, I'm annoyed with both Verizon and Motorola. Motorola for releasing a junky phone, and not fixing the problem in a timely fashion. Verizon for not addressing the issue truthfully and in a straightforward manner. Verizon knew what the problem was and yet kept quiet.

Where's your commitment to your customers, Verizon? Had I known this would be my experience, I might have made a different choice.

mskayla1025
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Nickodemis,

I have 5.5.893 and it's horrible. I was on the NJ Turnpike on Dec 31, 2011, and I lost my data connection, which meant I lost my GPS. Not cool. It did come back, but still... I rely on my phone's features, and I can't rely on my Bionic.

Today, Feb 2, 2012, I've spent more time without a data connection, than with it. I've had so many problems with 4G that I've had the phone on 3G, and even that's not reliable anymore.

mskayla1025
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, my Bionic bricked this morning, some time between 1AM and 5AM. How irritated am I at this moment? Gee, I wonder what Verizon will blame it on? I won't what Motorola will blame it on? I'm tired of the finger pointing. I just want the phone, and service, I paid for to work as expected and as advertised!

next-lover
Enthusiast - Level 1

thanks mskayla102 for letting us know of this. I'm about to make my "first ever!" smartphone purchase and had the BIONIC in sight but after reading around these forums, I think I will look at another device.

I'm a poor college student with a tight budget so the pricing on the BIONIC is what really got my attention. I think I wouldn't mind dropping $200 in-store and up-front for a device that will have at least a STABLE 4G (3G?) connection.

All this is really making me think twice about signing up for a 2-year contract. I'm "signed" with VZW but on a monthly contract with a basic phone.

I think I might hold off on the smartphone for a while until the Razr drops $50 or less :'(

But thanks for the helpful update. It truly helps customers like myself when they're in the middle of making a (financially tough) decision. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
B33
Legend

@ T C :  You might check an see if service billing is Available in your Area if you decide to get a phone an can go this route do the service billing after you bill cycles:  say like if your bill cycles on the 26 of the month you would want to wait till the end of that month to precede with this. Why is this good you might say well doing this give you a little time to pay you device off you can pay a little at the time you get your device then the rest when your bill comes ask a Rep.an see if you Qualify.  

next-lover
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ahh, thanks B33! I remember hearing about this from a friend of mine about 2 years ago! I haven't thought about it since, so thank you I think there are also these StudentRate.com discounts that customers can also qualify for (not sure how it works but I went on that website and so far, it seems that people have been telling stories that it works with a decrease of 8%-10% off their mo. bills!!!) so I think I'll also look into that. That 10% off your monthly bill would really help.

0 Likes
mskayla1025
Enthusiast - Level 2

T C,

I think if Verizon had just been honest about the instability of it's 4G, this might not be such a big deal. But when they tout "ultra fast speeds" and "America's fastest, most reliable 4G network", then by golly, they need to live up to the claim. That's why I went with 4G, rather than 3G.

I could not do without my smartphone, I just want the phone I bought to live up to the claims Verizon made. I want the phone and service I bought to work as advertised. So far, that hasn't been the case.

Don't be put off from a smartphone, just go with 3G until Verizon gets its act together on 4G.  They do have 3G phones that are free to 50.00.

B33
Legend

Was at the Verizon store Today an asked about the Bionic an the Rep i know very well said it hasn't been Canceled as of yet But the sales on it have dropped an the store hadn't sold one in about two weeks an he also Told me the Maxx is "Sold" out an it will be a while before the Orders will be filled as there out of them at the Wearhouse.

0 Likes