Extended Network LTE and 1x in Swanton, MD
RDuck

I recently moved to an area where my phone can only call and text. There's no or only very very slow data transmission. The phone usually says it's either on "Extended Network LTE" or "Extended Network 1x", but even when it says it's on the extended LTE it really can't be used for anything other than phone calls or SMS. 

My friends with AT&T have full speed LTE data reception in the same location.

Is there some way I can change a setting or upgrade my phone to use data here, or am I going to have to switch to AT&T to have a usable phone? Does Verizon plan on improving their coverage here? The area I'm talking about is along Sawmill Hollow Road in Swanton, MD. Zip code 21561.

0 Likes
Re: Extended Network LTE and 1x in Swanton, MD
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for reaching out and bringing your service concern to our attention, RDuck, we'd be happy to investigate. What is your zip code? Are you mostly impacted while in one remote location like the inside of your home? 

0 Likes
RDuck

Thanks for the response! The zip code is 21561. No, the lack of good data reception is widespread across this neighborhood; it's not just in certain areas of the house.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Got it, thanks.

Looking at the area in more detail, I do see that you are, as you said, in an extended network. What this means is we (Verizon) don't own the towers in the area that you are connecting to and therefore your signal will not be as strong. There isn't anything really that you can do or upgrade to change this. Extended means you are borrowing another networks tower and you are not first priority as if you were on a Verizon tower. It just is the area in general. We are always working to improve our footprint but there is no information on this area in general as to if we will or won't be expanding our network there. I realize this isn't the most favorable response you were looking for, but it's always our goal to be as transparent as possible with you.

ErinW_VZW

0 Likes