Re: Extremely slow LTE service in San Francisco
Ievgen

Hey guys, thanks for all your feedbacks. I got the same problem being Verizon iPhone 5 customer for two years, I confirm that last few months from now (November 2014) the data speed was ridiculously slow in SF, Peninsula and Marin. Usually I am having around 3 bars LTE with download speeds around 0.5-1.5 Mbps. Due to such a poor connection the battery is drained twice faster. And for all this shame I pay $121 a month!

I don't know what's going on at Verizon. Luckily my 2 years contract is over and I guess I need to switch to something else. I was just looking if it's only my problem but reading all your feedbacks it seems I am on the right way. Thanks!

0 Likes
NoWayToGo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello

Don's worry or panic guys. There are lot of spots within the LTE coverage area of Verizon where one get horrible LTE speed as low as 100 kbps. I am one with the same issue but that in greater chicago area. I wrote to corporate about this and they replied that the area has problem with LTE and gave various reasons, building, trees in my area with consideration of what kind of terrain it is. I got a call from corporate stating that they can't do much on part of improvement in network and offered me  a choice of getting away from Verizon without ETF.

So guys whoever has an issue with LTE speed, just live with it as Verizon is totally helpless on this part unless they rectify this. But according to them, it is not a single day and they have to do lot of work on this.

Cross your fingers. Have fun !!!

0 Likes
wwits
Enthusiast - Level 2

For what it's worth, contacting @VZWsupport on Twitter has been somewhat helpful so far.

I basically DM'd them and explained exactly what's going on here.  They didn't try to troubleshoot my phone with the explanation I gave (that I get LTE signal loud and clear downtown, in Berkeley, in other parts of the country, and it's just certain dead zones in SF -- so it's not a hardware issue) and said they would open a network investigation right away. Other reps via chat and phone tried to send me a new SIM, get me to reset my network settings, etc. all of which I refused.

After a short phone call to get some data from me, the Twitter rep opened the ticket and was extremely helpful overall.  She said that if Verizon investigates the issue and finds out that there is, indeed, an issue with coverage in my area (and especially at home) that I can file a claim to get out of my service agreement without any ETF fee. She also said the more people who pursue this method the more likely it is that it will get fixed, although building out new towers is a long-timeline issue anyway. At the very least, pursuing this will let you out of any contracts you're stuck in.  I am not in a 2-year service contract, but I am on EDGE now that I am month-to-month.

I recommend everyone with a twitter try this method, as it's much faster than using chat or trying to get on the phone with them.  Their Twitter reps seem to be more responsive and more informed than the other reps I've spoken with.

Anecdotally, a retail rep at the Market store said the reason we get terrible service is because there isn't a tower out there.  Another retail rep, commiserating with me, said she knows and wishes she could do something, but the retail stores can't do anything about technical problems.  It'd be like going into a Baskin Robbins and complaining that one of their flavors needs improvement and expecting something to change.

0 Likes
butchyboy12

This is why I left Verizon last spring. Months of "trouble tickets" and the same old directions to fix it. Reset phone, blah blah. I had speeds that slow between about 7am &11pm EVERY day. Then outside of those times they'd jump to 20-30MBPS, where they should be. Paying almost $100 per month and getting the run around for AWFUL service (I wasn't in San Francisco, either) then FINALLY, after months, hearing that, yes, the towers in my area were overloaded and it wasn't my device (duh, since all my neighbors told me they had the same issue). I was told it would be fixed by date X (upgrading towers) and....*drum roll* it wasn't. So, I LEFT VERIZON. It's about your only option. Honestly, my opinion, they have grown too fast and opened up too much bandwidth to be in "first place" and it's put them in last. I switched to the new Cricket (owned by ATT), pay $45 per month for unlimited everything and haven't looked back. WAY faster download speeds and half the price. No need to post on a forum, just dump them and don't fall for their contract games. Use capitalism the way it was meant to be used.

0 Likes
Irie1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon, are you reading this thread? Is anything being done about it?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Irie1 wrote:

Verizon, are you reading this thread? Is anything being done about it?

Verizon reps aren't reading this thread because it wasn't marked as a question by the original poster.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ashmastaflash

Yeah service in SF is super crappy.  I have full 4G strength and no service in Hayes Valley right now.  I've never gotten anything close to decent speed at SFO airport either, and support acts surprised every time I call.  We go through the 'turn it off and on again and we'll update your phone' dance and still it's disappointing.  If I were not under contract I would switch to another carrier.

0 Likes
rayndrahps
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe not specifically, but I've opened multiple trouble tickets with them on this issue, given them the blocks where it's hit or miss to get data, etc.  Got ticket numbers with no responses obviously.

But Verizon, I hate to tell you this it is you, not me.  You give us nothing but the runaround and double speak.  I was going to upgrade to an S6 and lock in another 2 years with you hoping your purchase of a new spectrum would help alleviate the problems this thread is talking about but after being lied to in one case and at best not telling the whole truth to me in another I'm moving to AT&T or T-Mobile tomorrow. 

I call one store, ask to see if you have any in stock of the kind I want available.  You tell me yes you do but that you can't tell me exactly how many you have.  I call my business line, they call the store back to find out for me, since I'd have to leave work early to make it there before they closed today.  The manager says they are out of stock so the first rep straight up lied to me without checking at all.  Only 3 minutes or so had passed at this point.  We call another store, they say they do have them in stock and would hold one aside for me since I said I was on my way.  I get there and they don't have any so now I'm stuck after a long day of work, leaving the office a little early just to get there, then have to walk a lot longer to get home than normal (yes, first world problems but I'm partially disabled and my feet were on fire by the time I got home.) 

This bad service coupled with empty promises of more capacity for the past year and I'm done with you.  I'll also automatically sign my employees up with AT&T now if they don't specify a preference and whenever anyone is due for an upgrade I'll ask if they've been having any issues with their data and move them over to AT&T too.

@VZWsupport

https://youtu.be/TBMYow46LxQ?t=59s

0 Likes