Extremely slow access with Cisco IPSec VPN client - 4510L 4G Mifi
lawson23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a user that has the 4510L device.

First I had to back the mifi device down to G for wifi in order for his business laptop to connect at a decent speed.  His personal laptop would get great speed already.  He now gets fast speeds on his business laptop anywhere from 4Mbps to 10Mbps using speedtest.net.

Now for my issue we use Cisco's VPN Client (5.0.07.0290).  When he connects to our VPN network his speed drops in a major way and did not do this when he was using his 3G mifi.  Speeds are under 1Mbps and very very very slow and very hard for him to get any work done.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get this working better for him.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Extremely slow access with Cisco IPSec VPN client - 4510L 4G Mifi
GT_Jacket

Same issue here with Cisco AnyConnect.

Download speeds remain about the same but upload speeds go from 12Mbps to < 1Mbps when connected over VPN.

0 Likes
GT_Jacket

Same issue here with Cisco AnyConnect.

Download speeds remain about the same but upload speeds go from 12Mbps to < 1Mbps when connected over VPN.

0 Likes
GT_Jacket

Additional info -

This appears to be a Windows 7 issue only (32bit and 64bit).   The upload speed does not tank on XP.

0 Likes
GT_Jacket

More info - I went to the Verizon store w/ my Win7 laptop and tried the Samsug hotspot device...

Same results - upload speeds dropped 90% over VPN.

I can't beleive more are not seeing this with Win7 and Cisco VPN.

0 Likes
lawson23
Enthusiast - Level 2

We have Windows XP installed on his box so for us it is not a Windows 7 issue.

Will say the user used to have a 3G mifi and when he was using this device he got decent VPN speeds.

Verizon has all but told me to take a hike.  They said well if you can get an internet connection that is where we stop.

I already stopped every service on his pc to see if it was software related with no improved speeds.  So now we rebuilt a Windows xp only box with only the cisco client on it and shipped it out for testing.  He does not get back in town till next week to test this though.  I suspect the same failure rates.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Problem with Cisco VPN client and the WWAN chipset driver probably.

BTW it maybe due to the Cisco VPN client being RETAREDED and changing the legacy PPPoE MTU to 1300 or something. 

Seriously CISCO who the hell uses PPPoE legacy 1300 anymore, KEEP IT AT DEFAULT 1500!

Let it fragment, the networks are designed for it NOW!

To change it make to 1500 go into your programs, MTU changer and change the WWAN chipset module back to 1500.

I am 95% sure it's a Cisco interoperability problem since LTE speeds are SO HIGH (aka wired broadand like) that Cisco should be engineering in comparison to WiFi (WiFI and LTE speeds are similar).

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Also LTE uses carrier grade NAT in VZW config (client gets 10.x.x.x, YOU WILL NOT get a public WAN IP unless you pay $500+ for a enterprise solution), make sure the one able to pass IPSec through a NAT aggregation gateway is checked in your settings.

0 Likes
lawson23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Highspeed cable modems are not affected by this speed issue nor is older 3g mifi. 

Also my client does get a public IP address.  He does not get a private address (public IP address of 166.250.0.xxx ) as this was one thing I checked for.  NO he did not pay $500 for this.

Yes the VPN Passthrough option is checked in the mifi device.

0 Likes