FCC vs Verizon Unlimited Data
anonymous9538
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've noticed all the loop holes are drying up. My last upgrade I was informed that if you use your upgrade on the unlimited line to transfer to non-unlimited line then transfer it will automatically create a loss of unlimited data and you are required to pay full price or other means (private sale). I live in a rural location with strong 4G LTE 20-40mbps down 10-12 up. No upgraded phone systems to DSL is out of the question and Cable is no where near. Only option is my unlimited data and Hughes net. Well Hughes net has a latency of 1.2 seconds!!! Now to my question and in regards of FCC ruling. If I take my unlimited data sim and buy a Verizon Novatel 4G sim router with voice and use it without making any changes to my plan, will I forfeit my unlimited data? I've been a customer since 2001.... Never late on payment... I'm tired of the BS! I've paid my years of service and deserve unlimited for life.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FCC vs Verizon Unlimited Data
Tidbits
Legend

Nope there is a difference which the FCC agreed upon. It's all based on grandfathered policies. There was a difference policy for phones and for hotspots. Due to those difference you have to agree with the policies. If you switch you agree with the policy change. They are not FORCING you to do it. You did it on your own accord. Just like when you upgrade and agree to the new terms and lose your unlimited data. You can bring it up with the FCC and many have. FCC to date since the rules went into effect have not investigated and people have lost their unlimited data plans doing what you think about doing.

Best to do what others have done and there's a forum out there but can't post it here or it'll be deleted. Keep your phone and hotspot from your phone.

View solution in original post

Tidbits
Legend

Yes you will lose it.

anonymous9538
Enthusiast - Level 1

How so when the FCC rules that Verizon couldn't implement what users could do with their 4G LTE SIM cards? As in transferring them to any device capable of running on Verizon's 4G LTE network.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Nope there is a difference which the FCC agreed upon. It's all based on grandfathered policies. There was a difference policy for phones and for hotspots. Due to those difference you have to agree with the policies. If you switch you agree with the policy change. They are not FORCING you to do it. You did it on your own accord. Just like when you upgrade and agree to the new terms and lose your unlimited data. You can bring it up with the FCC and many have. FCC to date since the rules went into effect have not investigated and people have lost their unlimited data plans doing what you think about doing.

Best to do what others have done and there's a forum out there but can't post it here or it'll be deleted. Keep your phone and hotspot from your phone.

Snn5
Legend

Quoted from:  Unlimited Data and the FCC

Changing between like devices(smartphone to smartphone) would not force you to change your data plan. Changing between differing devices(smartphone to tablet) (or in this case router/hotspot) which are eligible for differing data plans WOULD.

rcschnoor

0 Likes
anonymous9538
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well then after 15 years I guess Verizon will lose 295.00 a month from a loyal paying customer.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

SO let me get this straight.   You are going to give up your unlimited plan that you pay $3,500 a year for, rather than spend $300-$1000 on a full price new phone?

You said you live in a rural area with no other high speed data options.  What now?  Move?

(FYI, if you expect sympathy from 19 year customer with 8 lines and pays for my data, no unlimited, and pays full price for my phones, I refuse to finance, it isn't going to happen.  I suspect no one else thinks you deserve a free ride either)

Snn5
Legend

Wait, given the subject of your other posts, which are now missing, I assume you also hotspot other devices from your phone.  Now, IDK, there were some unlimited 4G plans that allowed that, but for the most part, unlimited 3G plans do not allow that.  I waon't assume you are tethering any devices or that, that is why you need to keep unlimited given your Hughes service.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

I Assumed he was cabling.  But any kind of tethering is usually grounds for termination of service.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You have options but if switching service is what you want to do then that's your right. Hopefully whatever carrier you switch to offers equal or better coverage and you're able to get the kind of usage you're used to.

0 Likes