Finally.... 4G connection is stable
robertmaloney

Purchased by UML290 4G card on December 6th, then the Nexaira BC router, and then the Wilson panel antenna.    Was disenchanted at first with all the config changes I had to make, the random connection dropping, etc etc.   But finally, I can get stable signal and quality speeds (16-20mb down, 2-3mb up).   The router's keep alive function for the wireless card, combined with the auto-email it generates when it reconnects, is telling me there is one last problem.   The "LCP Connection terminated by peer".   About 3-5 occurrences per day.    But if thats the worst thing at this point, thats OK with me. 

So now that all my stability issues are resolved, I have to monitor my daily usage aggressively.   10GB goes just as fast as the connection itself!   Verizon, please consider an expanded plan for those who really can, and want to enjoy your service!    Maybe a 15GB or 20GB plan, so that psychologically we dont feel like we're going over a limit and paying a penalty.   Streaming media isnt really feasible with a 10GB plan.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Finally.... 4G connection is stable
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

If you use that much get a wired fiber/cable/DSL/uverse connection. It has much less latency and doesn't have caps for the most part.

0 Likes
keypuncher

Hard wire..... I wish!!

I'm less than 30 minutes from the capital building in Columbus, OH and can't get: digital cable, DSL, or fiber.  Tried satelite, microwave point to point (lost signal below 28degrees when ice separates wood fibers in the trees that I had to shoot through), 3g with external antenna and routers going back to the original Kyocera router.

Some of us NEED this 4g LTE to work CONSISTENTLY, and some of us do need some pipe volume.

I had some initial problems since Dec. 15th (roll-out here) with a Pantech 290, a Nexaira BC II, the Wilson Dual-Band Panel Antenna.  Also 3-5 drops per day.  I have never been a fan of VZAM and when used stand-alone on a laptop traveling, have used a DUN with great success.  (or on 3g Sierria Wireless products, their Watcher utility, GREAT).  Since late last week, when I foolishly allowed VZAM to run a program update AND an attached firmware update to the Pantech modem, I lost virtually ALL connectivity.  I could not use the modem via the router, stand-alone on a laptop with either VZAM or DUN.  I uninstalled the "new" VZAM, re-installed an older version.  Now I can connect only using this old verison of VZAM.  Pantech support told me that once the firmware update has been run, there is NO way to "uninstall" or even overwrite to a previous version.  Essentially, his comment was that eventually the router "people" will catch up with their firmware upgrades.  I guess that I'm screwed until then?  Now I can't even connect with DUN and I'm dropping connections much more frequently with this older version of VZM and the "new" firmware on the modem.

Thank goodness, 30 years of being a beta tester (customer) ingrained enough sense in me to not terminate my Verizon 3g (UNLIMITED, grandfathered,) service running parallel.  My third level of redundancy is a CopperNet Dial Up phone line ISP connection.  Running a business beside the interstate in the fastes growing county in Ohio is tough when your in the doughnut whole!

When it works, I LOVE it.  I'm just not seeing any degree of consistancy yet.  I DO understand growing pains, but they DO hurt.

For now, it looks like 4g with VGAM on a laptop and Windows ICS on the in-house wired network (also not a wifi fan).

Sorry for venting, just looking to share and hear from others.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

keypuncher,

I totally sympathize with you.  I'm in the same boat--no wired connection available, unreliable WISP signal, etc.  

I also have the same setup as you (UML290, BC2 router, and the Wilson panel antenna).  I didn't apply the latest firmware update because the VZAM site lists Vista SP2, whereas I have only XP.  Another member of this forum, bigounce, who lives about 80 miles south of me, complained that his signal strength dropped significantly after the firmware update.  But he was able to get connected by moving his modem into his attic.  He too is using the BC2, but no panel antenna.  Last I heard, he was able to maintain a fast and reliable connection.

For me, the disconnections seemed to have lessened over the past week, but I still worry about it.

I had a hard time getting the BC2 set up at first, but Nexaira support sent me the latest firmware version (AG1.2.4.3), which eliminates the need to enter any config data in the "Cellular Datacard" page.  What version of the Nexaira BC2 firmware are you using?  Are you still using "vzwinternet" in the APN field of your router?

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Keypuncher, all those problems have been fixed. And there is a good engineering reason for not allowing downgrades from firmware upgrades unless necessary but since this is NOT an engineering forum I won't go into it. First of all, you need to:

1. Download the latest version of VZAccess from www.vzam.net.

2. UNINSTALL ALL VERSIONS OF VZAccess from your machine.

3. Install VZAccess, and when it asks you to REBOOT. If it doesn't STILL REBOOT.

4. You should be able to connect fine now.

5. For the router install the latest firmware version on your router.

And bug TWC (Time Warner Cable Central OH) for RoadRunner as soon as I can. My RoadRunner and 3G simply can't compare.

(I get 10ms pings to TWC's RR backbone in Columbus, OH and they have 10G+ fiber going out of Columbus to the peering fabric in Chicago and DC (Washington DC Equinix in Ashburn, VA). 

I'm in Metro Detroit and I get 20ms RTT on my RoadRunner to the East Coast where all the internet DC (datacenter) content is stored and similar to Chicago (2 regional RDC's for the internet backbone in the US).

0 Likes
bcltoys

Are you guys all inside 4g coverage areas or are you outside coverage areas if outside how far I was thinking about trying 4g but my 3g is unstable all ready.Thanks

0 Likes
rhuseby

Any chance you could send me the firmware file, I can't find one that works with my UML290 anywhere on the web...

Thanks,

Ron

0 Likes