Frequent 4G Disconnects in Oklahoma
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have noticed that my 4G LTE connection will randomly disconnect as others have also mentioned.  I'm located in North/Central Oklahoma.  This happened several times over the last few days. I am using the Pantech UML290 modem on Windows XP Service Pack 3. It's locked into 4G mode (only way I could connect).  I have all power-management disabled (both the USB hub and the modem itself).

Often, when I lose the connection, the VZAccess Manager software won't disable the "PANTECH UML290 WWAN" network connection listed in Windows' Network Connections panel.  Instead, it justs lists that the connection is unplugged (shows a red "X" next to the icon). On the other hand, when I intentionally disconnect by pressing the "Disconnect" button in VZAccess Manager, the "PANTECH UML290 WWAN" network connection is automatically disabled (meaning, it's grayed out).

When the random disconnects occur, I often can't reconnect. It will either show "Searching for LTE Network" or I'll get the infamous WMC604 error. At this point, it takes several reboots, several attempts at unplugging/replugging the modem, and several attempts at restarting VZAccess Manager to get things working again. In other words, getting back online requires more black magic than science.

Can someone please help?  This is quite annoying, to say the least.

Some additional questions:

(1) For anyone who has tried a panel antenna, did this improve your connection's reliability or just your speeds?  I have a rather weak signal (-89-92 dBm), but I do get one bar, and I can connect and stay connected for at most 3 hours (longest I've tested). My 4G speeds are 4 Mbps down and 0.5 Mbps up.

(2) Some have reported that they use the Nexaira Business Class II with the UML290. Has this improved your connection's reliability?

I'm considering getting both the antenna and the router, if they help me stay online. The speeds aren't a concern for me; faster is certainly better, but speed is nothing if I can't stay connected (and can't reliably reconnect).

Many thanks,

Damon

Labels (1)
0 Likes
51 Replies
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just experienced another disconnection.  This time, it took two computer reboots to get back online.  My previous routine (a single reboot, followed by relaunching VZAM, then unplugging/reinserting the modem) simply resulted in the WMC604 error.

Very annoying...

Can anyone from Verizon support comment on this issue?

0 Likes
bigounce

OK I left my computer on and went to bed - got up this AM and it stayed connected in the house for 3 hours! This is a record!

Prior to the update I was getting bumped when it went dormant. I have still had to reboot a couple of times but I am staying connected for the most part which is a big improvement. I dont have to go outside but am in a cerian spot in the house. I think the update is helping. I have an unfinished upstairs and I get -69 RSSI up their. I ordered a router to put up there to plug my modem in. Maybe I won't need the antenna - will see. I have till 2/7 to get this all sorted out or Verizon will stick it to me.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

bigounce wrote:

OK I left my computer on and went to bed - got up this AM and it stayed connected in the house for 3 hours! This is a record!

Prior to the update I was getting bumped when it went dormant. I have still had to reboot a couple of times but I am staying connected for the most part which is a big improvement. I dont have to go outside but am in a cerian spot in the house. I think the update is helping. I have an unfinished upstairs and I get -69 RSSI up their. I ordered a router to put up there to plug my modem in. Maybe I won't need the antenna - will see. I have till 2/7 to get this all sorted out or Verizon will stick it to me.

bigounce, glad to hear you're connected again.  Please keep us updated on your disconnection experiences.  Other users on the dslreports forums have also mentioned the disconnection issue with VZW 4G.

Still waiting for my BC2 router to arrive.  You'll probably get yours before me.  Carrier pigeons are more reliable than Stillwater's mail service...

Cheers,

0 Likes
flrver

I was just looking at the post here and I would like to enter my 2 cents worth.  I am a Verizon 3g power user since 3g was launched, Microsoft Certified, A+, Network+, Ham radio operator and a retired Field Engineer.
I have a UML290, this is my 3rd one since launch. This one stays connected but slowest down and then stops. I have tested with 4 computers, 1 XP, 2 Win7 64bit PCs and one Win7 32 bit.  All have the same problem. I have also tested with the CTR35 Cradelpoint 4g router and a WIFI Ranger 4g Router that supports the UML290 in 4g areas. I have the same problem with all of these connection types. If all I wanted to do is connect down load mail and check news that it's great, very fast but if I wanted to connect and stay connected all day, forget it. I have at time stayed connected for 6 or 7 hours but right now I can not keep a download speed of ever 1 meg up for more then one hour.  this may have gotten worse since the firmware and updated VZAcces. I wish that Verizon would send some techs out into the field and test with more then just a, OK I can get connected, they need to verify that they can stay connected all day.  I was at a Verizon store and the manager said that they often get dropped at the store location. very strange if you can not have service at your store location. My failure mode is this, VZAccess say connected , I can ping the Google dns server 8.8.8.8, tracert is fine for the same location but you try to open a web page it takes forever and the speed test web pages will not load. Disconnect and reconnect and I am fine for  a while. My signal remains the same working or not.

0 Likes
flrver

Well I may be giving up. Last night  the modem started blinking RED light, no service and is dead. What makes me even more upset is that when I called support they took my information, had me restart my computer suggest a few more things that Ihad already done , said that the red light means no service and gave me a ticket number. in 1 to 2 days they will decide howto resolve the problem. So its time for me to go to a WIFI spot for the next two days to get on the internet.

Are the LG l600 users having the same slow connections after staying connected for hours? I wanted the UML290 because it has external antenna connections and is a global device but now I just need something that works. Is that too much to ask?

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

I ran into a problem the other day in regards to my connection being dissonnected. Of course this won't apply to all the problems here, but it is something to check out for sure.

In your power settings for your computer you have a seting for when to turn off the Hard Drive. As an example, if you had it set for 30 Minuntes and did not touch your computer for that amount of time while CONNECTED it will disconnect when the HDD shuts down. Something to think about. Like I said, it's not a problem solver for everyone, or every problem, but it is something to think about.

I am going to make a new thread making more people aware of what I ran into the other day.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

flrver wrote:

Well I may be giving up. Last night  the modem started blinking RED light, no service and is dead. What makes me even more upset is that when I called support they took my information, had me restart my computer suggest a few more things that Ihad already done , said that the red light means no service and gave me a ticket number. in 1 to 2 days they will decide howto resolve the problem. So its time for me to go to a WIFI spot for the next two days to get on the internet.

Are the LG l600 users having the same slow connections after staying connected for hours? I wanted the UML290 because it has external antenna connections and is a global device but now I just need something that works. Is that too much to ask?

flrver,

Like you, I got the Pantech because of the external antenna port.  And, like many others, the entire 4G experience has been a mixture of excitement and frustration--mostly the latter.

On the other hand, when I was in the Verizon store the other day, two of their LTE demo machines with LG modems couldn't connect due to a SIM card failure.  Yes, this was in the Verizon store! So, maybe the Pantech was not the wrong choice.

As you mentioned earlier, it would have been nice if they had sent techs out to test these things in the field.  But, then again, why hire techs when you can charge customers to do the testing for you? :smileywink:  In all fairness, though, Verizon is the only carrier that covers my rural area.

Cheers,

0 Likes
mdpearo

Hello all,

I've had the Pantech for over a week now and had no real problems.  Did get a couple "SIM Failure" message box, but always corrected itself with a restart.  The past couple days upon booting up, the VZManager shows SIM Failure instead of my phone number on the main window, but it still connects and have no internet problems.  When this happens, I do NOT get the small error window box stating "SIM Failure", only noticed it on the lower part of the window.  Strange, I know.  I have not seen this problem stated anywhere else.  Makes me wonder if data is being charged against my plan when in this state. 

Ran streaming real-time stock quotes a few days last week and never had any disconnects and sevice always good with great signal & speed. 

Still waiting on the CradlePoint router.  I'm thinking its lost in a snow drift somewhere, but will give an update whenever I receive it.

Melissa

(S. of OKC)

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

An update...

Over the past week, I've had a chance to test the Nexaira Business Class II router and the Wilson panel antenna as recommended by others.

The router arrived first, so I tested that alone.  I bought the router because of its advertised ability to automatically reconnect after a disconnection.  I needed to upgrade to the latest version of the router firmware (AG1.2.4.3) in order to connect.  It's only been a week, but my initial impressions are mostly positive.  The router has helped a bit with the disconnections, likely due to the elimination of VZAM.  And, it is able to reconnect on its own after a drop, but sometimes it can take a while (~15 mins), and other times I need to physically power cycle the router+modem.  Overall, I would recommend the router.

Next, I tried the Wilson panel antenna.  Immediately after connecting the antenna to the modem, I noticed a huge difference in speeds.  I was previously getting 4-5 MBps DL and 0.5 Mbps UL.  After the antenna, I get 10-15 Mbps DL and 0.8-1.3 Mbps UL. I think the antenna has also helped lessen the disconnections, but I'll need to test this more over the next few weeks.

I will keep testing and post any updates...

Cheers,

Damon

0 Likes
toughbook
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the update on the external modem and antenna. Keep posting your thouhts please. I am on the fence about buying one.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

toughbook: I'm very pleased with the antenna in terms of its ability to increase my DL speeds and in terms of its ease of setting up. (In fact, I was so pleased with the antenna, I recently bought a Wilson Signalboost DT system for my phones.) I would not hesitate to buy it again, but also keep in mind that I have a weak signal, despite the fact that I'm clearly within a deep red LTE zone, not an LTE Border zone.

Before the antenna, I was getting 4-5 Mbps DL. With the antenna, I'm getting 10-15 Mbps DL. This speed difference was tested both with various speed-testing sites and with real-world downloading from sites across the country. The UL speed used to be 0.5 Mbps without the antenna, and is now 0.8-1.0 Mbps. (Yes, this still sucks, but it's as faster than our local cable internet provider offers [0.5 Mbps]). <Verizon, why are my upload speeds so slow?>

You can see my full review of the antenna here. I haven't tested the change in RSSI or SINR because I refuse to use VZAM due to its bugginess.  (I used to develop software for a living, so I know bugs can be hard to track down, but come on.). 

Has the antenna helped alleviate the disconnections? It's hard to say, which means, probably not much. Using the BC2 router alone, I've been able to stay online for 5 days straight. The longest I've experienced with the antenna was 7 days straight. But, in the last two days, I've been disconnected three times, two of which required me to power-cycle the router/modem to get back online.

Two of the disconnections were caused by lack of actual connectivity, but the modem still reported a connection to the LTE network; the router logs these disconnections as follows:

Feb 19 15:37:41 NexWare daemon.info pppd[16041]: No response to 10 echo-requests
Feb 19 15:37:41 NexWare daemon.notice pppd[16041]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.

The router is usually unable to recover from these types of disconnections. Instead, I have to power-cycle the darn thing, then it can get back online.

The other type of disconnection is an actual "hangup" signal from the modem, which the router logs as:

Feb 18 04:41:58 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2105]: LCP terminated by peer

A quick search of the web indicates the above to be a common Verizon problem. About half of the time, the router is able to recover from the above, and I'm back online within anywhere from 10 seconds to 15 minutes. The other half of the time, I have to power-cycle.

Our local telephone company advertises their ISDN service as "better than dialup, and more reliable than wireless." 4G speeds blow ISDN out of the water, but the phone company may be right about the reliability.

Cheers,

Damon

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

An update: Over the past five days, I've been connected solidly. No issues. Great DL speeds (UL speeds still are far below spec).

Now the bad news: I experienced two back-to-back disconnections tonight.  The BC2 router wasn't able to recover from either, so instead of power-cycling the router, I decided to try VZAM.

In VZAM, the status showed the 4G network was found. Clicked the Connect button and...  WMC100 error.

Restarted VZAM, showed the 4G network was found, clicked the Connect button and...  WMC100 error.

Unplugged the modem, waited 15 seconds for VZAM to realize the modem was unplugged.  Plugged it back in and VZAM showed the 4G network was found. Clicked the Connect button and...  WMC100 error.

Seriously? (I've never seen this error before; usually get the WMC104 error instead.)

Plugged the modem back into the router, power-cycled the unit, was back online in less than a minute.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yet another disconnection...

This time, I was able to get the VZAM working by plugging the modem into another USB port. (It's really crazy that I have to do this, but...)  I was able to connect to the 4G network; however, I could not browse any web pages, nor could I ping any servers or IP addresses.  Basically had no connectivity except for checking usage via SMS.

While in VZAM, I was able to see my signal strength.  The antenna doesn't boost the RSSI as much as I thought.  Still seeing a -88 dBm signal (was -92 to -90 dBm).  But, this small increase does wonders for the DL speeds.

Since I had no connectivity in VZAM, I replugged the modem into the BC2 router.  Was connected within a minute (but, for how long, who knows).  The upshot is that VZAM is buggy beyond belief. I suspect that this software is more to blame than the LTE network itself.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update: Another disconnection tonight:

Mar  2 00:29:14 NexWare daemon.info pppd[24453]: LCP terminated by peerMar  2 00:29:14 NexWare daemon.info pppd[24453]: Connect time 3038.3 minutes.
0 Likes
usher

Curious, but what are you using to capture the information that you're posting regarding the LCP terminated by peer?

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

usher wrote:

Curious, but what are you using to capture the information that you're posting regarding the LCP terminated by peer?

I have my modem plugged into a Nexaira BC2 router. The above info was from the router's log page.

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yet another disconnection this morning:

Mar  3 04:06:44 NexWare daemon.info pppd[6658]: LCP terminated by peerMar  3 04:06:44 NexWare daemon.info pppd[6658]: Connect time 1652.3 minutes.

The router was able to auto-reconnect this time.  Fortunately, I wasn't downloading during this period.  

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Another one...

Mar  4 06:25:55 NexWare daemon.info pppd[6658]: No response to 10 echo-requestsMar  4 06:25:55 NexWare daemon.notice pppd[6658]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.Mar  4 06:25:55 NexWare daemon.info pppd[6658]: Connect time 1578.6 minutes.
0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to update this thread... The disconnections are still happening since my last post on March 4th, but I guess they're infrequent compared to others.

Disconnection on 3/14/2011, 12:16 AM:

Mar 14 00:16:44 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2112]: LCP terminated by peerMar 14 00:16:44 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2112]: Connect time 5769.8 minutes.

Disconnection on 3/17/2011, 4:15 AM:

Mar 17 04:15:51 NexWare daemon.info pppd[14727]: LCP terminated by peerMar 17 04:15:51 NexWare daemon.info pppd[14727]: Connect time 3052.8 minutes.

Another disconnection on 3/17/2011, 1:00 PM:

Mar 17 13:00:54 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2096]: LCP terminated by peerMar 17 13:00:54 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2096]: Connect time 320.1 minutes.

Disconnection on 3/19/2011, 3:52 PM:

Mar 19 15:52:41 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2096]: No response to 10 echo-requestsMar 19 15:52:41 NexWare daemon.notice pppd[2096]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.Mar 19 15:52:41 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2096]: Connect time 3050.1 minutes.

Disconnection on 3/20/2011, 12:32 AM:

Mar 20 00:32:18 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2096]: LCP terminated by peerMar 20 00:32:18 NexWare daemon.info pppd[2096]: Connect time 519.0 minutes.

The lengths of my connections have varied, an average, from about 300-4000 minutes.

0 Likes
WiFiGuy

What part of Stillwater do you live?

I live just north of Airport. I was thinking about getting the new MiFi 4510L when it comes out. Now I'm a little worried about the connection quality here. I will also use it when I travel for business, but I will be using it a lot in Stillwater, Tulsa and OKC.

Is there a 30 day, money back guarantee if the product doesn't work out for you?

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

WiFiGuy wrote:

What part of Stillwater do you live?

I live just north of Airport. I was thinking about getting the new MiFi 4510L when it comes out. Now I'm a little worried about the connection quality here. I will also use it when I travel for business, but I will be using it a lot in Stillwater, Tulsa and OKC.

Is there a 30 day, money back guarantee if the product doesn't work out for you?

Howdy neighbor!

I'm southeast of town on East 68th St., in an area that gets 0-1 bars of voice service.  The 700 Mhz LTE signal supposedly travels further, but I only get 1 bar of LTE service. Still very usable with 4-5 Mbps down and (slower) 0.5 Mbps up. I added a panel antenna, and now I get 12 Mbps down (but still slow uploads between 0.5-0.75 Mbps).  I'm 7 miles from the Verizon LTE tower as the crow flies (which I believe is on 8th St., near downtown).

You're much closer to the Verizon tower, so I bet you would get a great signal.

Don't know about the MiFi 4510L, but it's got to be a safer alternative than the Pantech.  I can't imagine using the Pantech without an external router (VZAM is just too buggy).

The return window is 14 days.

I was previously with PVN WISP service.  I'm very glad to have switched to LTE, and I would do it again in a heartbeat--it's much more reliable, and much faster, despite the occasional disconnections.

Cheers,

Damon

0 Likes