Frustrated with 4G service in and around Atlanta
atlguy5050
Enthusiast - Level 1

The past month or so the 4G service on my Droid 4 has become very sporadic in staying connected. I can stare at the screen and the 4G shows "connected" (blue) and then about half the time as soon as I try to do anything (checking e-mail, checking Facebook, checking Play store, updating news or weather feeds) on the network, service goes out - shows "disconnected" (white). This "outage" can last anywhere from a second or two to 5+ minutes. This is happening both at home (Brookhaven area) and work (Alpharetta area) as well as just about anywhere else I am in the Atlanta, GA area... no matter the time.

Has the 4G network really become that overloaded that my device is becoming useless half the time I attempt to use it? Why is my device not switching to 3G when it can't connect to 4g (yes, the setting is to connect to LTE and CDMA)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Frustrated with 4G service in and around Atlanta
moo_in_hawaii

I'm having the same issue, but way over here in Hawaii. It's been doing this for the past 3 weeks (ever since returning from New York City at the end of June). I've had my phone for a long time and haven't had this issue before. I understand that sometimes I won't get a 4G signal on some parts of the island, but it used to be that when that happened my phone would just switch over to 3G or whatever network is available. Now, basically I have 4G or nothing. I checked my settings.. it's not on "LTE only" mode.. it's on LTE/CDMA.

But ya, for me too it usually happens a split second after I try doing something with my phone (checking the internet, facebook etc.). A few minutes later it would come back, and I'd be good for another few minutes, and then the 4G would disappear, even when I'm in a spot I know has strong 4G network coverage.

0 Likes
JMDL
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does it happen only at both locations or have you noticed it happening in other areas as well? Funny I also live in Brookhaven and there is a small area around Drew valley where I lose data connection for a minute when I am on my way home. I just assume is a dead cell area. Other than that I don't seem to have connectivity issues . I had the Thunderbolt and now the Galaxy S3

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@atlguy5050, having data connectivity issues with your phone is never fun. I can definitely understand how frustrating this can be and I’m here to help.

I have researched this issue and found that a fix is under review and will be included in the second post launch software update for this device. At this time I have no information regarding the exact date when it will be available but you don’t have to worry because it will automatically be pushed to your phone. As a work around you can toggle Airplane mode on and off to restore the connection http://bit.ly/OMO4sk.

I appreciate your patience as we work diligently to resolve this issue.

John B
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
atlguy5050
Enthusiast - Level 1

OK - toggling Airplane mode works sometimes. This issue seems to be getting progressively worse. Is there anything else I can do before the software update fix is released?

Is there any update as to when the software update will be released?

WhiteLite03

I've been having the same problem for months. I live in the Nashville, TN area. When I went to the Washington, DC area last month, it worked flawlessly. Toggling airplane mode gets the service back, but only until I try to use it, then it loses connectivity again. I've just been forced to turn off the 4G feature to have any decent data service.

0 Likes