Grandfathered plan? Removed without my request?
carriebubb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I callex Verizon on September 9, 2020 with a data speed problem for my hotspot.  I was CLEAR that I was reporting a repair issue and that no orders were to be placed to change my plan.  However, the next day, I got an email about my change order having been completed.

So-- Proceeding from that call, my old data unlimited data plan and unlimited mobile hotspot plan were removed from my account by a rep without my having requested it, and a 2gb plan was added instead.  I called in immediately to have this fixed, (on September 10th)  Paperwork was submitted to restore the plan and I was told to wait 7-10 days.   I waited 2 weeks, but did not here back.  I called again and was told the wrong paperwork had been submitted and the rep submitted the right paperwork to restore the grandfathered plan.  I was told to wait 7-10 days.  In the meanwhile, I was racking up huge overage charges.  I received notice on the 29th that the plan was restored.  However the hotspot still was not working.  I called in and the rep said that they only had submitted the ticket on the data plan, not on the hotspot.  

She put in a ticket and an order for an 8or 9gb hotspot, just so I had a hotspot to use.  Apparently the hotspot order wasn't compatible with the data plan I had, and it wiped the plan off my account again. 

I called again A new ticket was placed to add the plan again.  And was done.  But again -- no hotspot.  Another rep added a hotspot order which again wiped out the grandfathered plan. 

I called today and was told that the grandfathered plan should,  technically, be available, but that the system was going to keep purging it, so, although I officially should be able to have it, in reality it will never really work.  

So -- now I am working on getting the credits I need for the overages based on all of this back-and-forth on the account and a month-plus of waiting on the errors to be corrected. 

I am curious if anyone else has faced this issue, and what the outcomes were.

I am a teacher, and teaching remotely because of COVID, so I am using a ton of data.  

Although I have been with Verizon Wireless for almost 20 years, and would prefer to stay with Verizon Wireless, I may not be able to. I need a data package sufficient to allow me to do my job and to allow my children to participate in their remote classrooms at the the time. 

If this can't be resolved, then, unfortunately, I am going to have to port the number out to a carrier who is willing/able to provide a plan that meets my usage requirements. 

I also will file a complaint with the state attorney general and the FCC and the BBB over this, just because I have not had proper service for over a month and, really,  I view the whole situation as an abuse on the part of Verizon and as a harassment campaign against their "True Unlimited" customers. (I don't know that anything significant will happen as a consequence, but I want the issue to be documented as an issue, because I am uncertain if it is legal, and -- if it is, then this is a demonstration of the importance of reinstating Net Neutrality.) 

Before I go through doing all of this though, I just wanted to check one last time to see if anyone else has faced this issue, if there were any solutions, and what the outcomes were.  I would prefer not to make the account/provider changes if there is a way to continue with Verizon and the same account I have had for nearly 20 years. 

Thanks in advance to the Community for any insight that you can provide.  

Re: Grandfathered plan? Removed without my request?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

carriebubb ,we're truly sorry to learn that you've had such an experience with us. Knowing that you've contacted us several times with no resolution is quite disheartening, to say the least. We know the importance of ensuring your plan is correct and surely don't want to lose your business. I have sent you a Private Note. Please respond at your earliest convenience. 

0 Likes
Vzwdani
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello Carriebubb,

Were you ever able to resolve your issue? I am experiencing a similar issue and am curious to know how it was resolved (if at all) and what the outcomes were?

Thanks

ConstructEnt
Enthusiast - Level 2

They just did basically the same thing to me is unacceptable i'm currently in the process of trying to get it fixed so far it's really not going well

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, ContructEnt.

We are so sorry to hear that your plan was changed without your authorization! Has it been within the last 30 days that this happened? If so, we have hope to be able to change it back. Please reach us in a Private Note for assistance.

CelesteR_VZW

0 Likes
ConstructEnt
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have reached out both here and on Facebook after your people asked me to and have never gotten any response to those DMs more terrible customer service. 

landoficensnow

I am currently going through the exact same thing

0 Likes
landoficensnow

I am currently going through the exact same thing.

The plan was removed when I reported to customer service my hotspot stopped working.

They first said 'okay its fixed now, restart your phone'.  A day later I started getting data overage messages.

I worked with a great manager who said a request needed to be submitted to get this grandfathered plan readded.  However, there was no guarantee that the original hotspot feature (which I've used since I had the plan) would work.

I was given an interim data plan and told I would not be charged for any overages etc.

Two weeks went by, I followed up with the managers name and employee ID, they could not find him or the request number that was submitted. So we had to start the process over again.

While on the phone, I noticed that I was about to exceed my data plan and the rep offered no solution to that. Despite the previous manager stating that VZ would pickup any charges until we arrived to a solution.

I do agree that Verizon is making it very difficult to stay on the GFU plans.

For years I have paid out of pocket for phones to preserve the plan. Now I am out the cost of the phones since its looking like, despite being grandfathers the plan 'changed' without any notice.

0 Likes