HTC Thunderbolt Software update: Cannot Connect
Arug

A new software update was put out for the Thunderbolt awhile ago that was suppose to fix the reboot issue with the phone along with some other issues.  However when I go to check for software my phone always says "ERROR: SERVICE UNAVAILABLE: Check for Software Update under Settings when service is available."  I have tried this dozens of time on 3G, 4G and wifi.  Nothing helps.  I have gone to numerous different stores with Verizon employees only recommending doing a hard reset.  I have also tried this a dozen or so times with nothing changing.  My phone reboots nearly 10 times a day, freezes and locks up before hand for several minutes to half an hour requiring me to remove the battery.  After this the phone does not want to turn on and takes numerous of not dozens of tries to turn it back on.  Anyone have any suggestions on what to do?  Verizon stores and call-in tech support have been no help.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HTC Thunderbolt Software update: Cannot Connect
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The update was released in batches to phones which can take a week or two. Your MEID number of your phone was probably not processed until recently.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
micfai

I was able to get the update by installing the app "LTE onoff" and then switching it to "cdma only" and then checked for the update. On the first try I was able to get it but it takes forever to download because you are downloading it at "1X". I have had an issue with the update though. My data connectivity has been really spotty. I thought this update was suposed to fix that. :smileysad: I had perfect connectivity before the update too.

0 Likes
Arug

All that does it turn 4G on or off, I have done it on CDMA [3G] with no avail.

UPDATE: It has now randomly decided to work? o.O

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The update was released in batches to phones which can take a week or two. Your MEID number of your phone was probably not processed until recently.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Fivty1Fivty

I'm having this same problem, have you been able to fix yours?  Tech support has been no help.  Still waiting on them to call be back from yesterday! :smileymad:

0 Likes
Fivty1Fivty

Have you been able to resolve this issue?  I have been having the same issue since the update was pushed to my phone a couple days ago.  Had no issues prior to the update, and now I get 3g everyonce in a while and no 4g.  When 4g shows its connected, I can't access any webpages or any data for that matter.

0 Likes
thedoc24

I'm there too. I even had them replace my phone because I thought it was my phone. I get no 4G at all now and 3G drops all the time. This is in places where I had mega fast 4G all the time all day long. Now nothing. That patch really jacked up my phone. I am **bleep**. I'm a share holder of the company and I work building out their network. 

0 Likes
Fatdog1028
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue with my Thunderbolt.  I figured out the solution.  I went to talk to a sales rep in a U S Cellular store today.  I'm switching carriers.   Good 3G coverage on their network sure beats the sorry reception I'm getting on Verizon's network. 

0 Likes
joewyno

Mine did this 2 updates ago as I was able to get the first Ginerbread update within minutes of it being released.  I waited about 5 days to a week and it eventually allowed me to get the update.  There is no way I am doing a hard reset of my phone without money compensation from Verizon.  All I can say right now is to be patient.  Hopefully Verizon gets this issues taken care of before the phone is retired. 

0 Likes
hnbcomet

My Thunderbolt software update thing under settings won't update. It goes as far as to say it's checking, and then it kicks me out. Any suggestions?

0 Likes