How has verizon come along in overlaying LTE on the 3g footprint?
Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was reading some pretty old articles this week that said VZW was wanting to have LTE wherever it currently has 3g by the end of 2014. I just switched back to verizon since March, and was wondering how this has come along?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How has verizon come along in overlaying LTE on the 3g footprint?
Not applicable

They finished their 700 MHz LTE rollout a year ago. 98% of the 3G network is covered by 4G. About 85% of their markets have XLTE. Though just because "market" has it doesn't mean an entire market is covered. Verizon is also testing 1900 MHz LTE right now.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

They finished their 700 MHz LTE rollout a year ago. 98% of the 3G network is covered by 4G. About 85% of their markets have XLTE. Though just because "market" has it doesn't mean an entire market is covered. Verizon is also testing 1900 MHz LTE right now.

Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

The 1900mhz lte is what would replace the current 3G waves. Correct?

0 Likes
Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

My only wonder is. In a few years when Verizon shuts down cdma for good like they say they are going to. Are we going to use the reliability that cdma brings to the table at the current time? Or is their lte networks (all frequencies. What they use now and are planning to use) going to be better than using cdma for voice.

0 Likes
Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

Lose the reliability of cdma** not use.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yes 1900 is what they use for 3G. It's PCS spectrum. Right now they are only going to refarm part of it. Verizon uses 1x or 850 MHz for calls and texting. That won't be refarmed for 5 or 6 years. One would think assuming Verizon gets some 600 MHz spectrum that that would be immensely better than 850 MHz is. Not to mention that 850 MHz will still be used just on LTE not CDMA. I'm not sure why that would be different as far as reliability. I've used their HD voice and when you call someone else that also has it it's WAY better. It doesn't sound like a cell call at all. it's about as close to a old fashioned land line call.

0 Likes
Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

So does the reliability of verizon's voice network come from the low mhz or because its cdma? If its because of the low mhz, then I imagine we will still get the good reliability via LTE over 850 mhz, and even better with 600. If its because of CDMA, than i don't know how I like the idea of CDMA being shut down, it'd be a good backup.

0 Likes
Not applicable

T-Mobile, at&t and most of the rest of the world do not use CDMA. They seem to do just fine. CDMA means having an extra radio in the phone which drives up costs. CDMA is very inefficient compared to LTE.

0 Likes
Lmc22391
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok. So here's another question I thought of. I live in Chicago. But in the suburbs. So im not sure if I'm getting xlte. At home I'll check my phones field test and its only on band 13. So for now I'm not.

My question is. Whenever I do get connected to 1700/2100 band 4 xlte. And let's say I drop off that and go back to the normal 700mhz lte. Will my call hand off? I know it won't from lte to cdma. But I wonder about xlte to lte or lte to xlte.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I would imagine you do have XLTE. It could be the hone only connects to it when it needs to. for example when 700 MHz is congested. I'm not sure how Verizon prioritizes LTE spectrum. But n you won't lose a call if it goes form one LTE frequency to another. The only reason why you lose it form LTE to CDMA is because you're switching technologies. There is a solution to that, but Verizon hasn't implemented it yet. Cost and manpower may be a factor, I'm not sure.

What phone do you have?