How is 4G data consumed?
Ellefilly

Is 4G data consumed when the device is on or when it is on and I am connected to it and surfing the web?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How is 4G data consumed?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Hello,

Anytime you upload or download data from the Verizon Network it will be counted against your plan.  That principle applies to 3G and 4G plans.  If your device is not talking to Verizon then it is not consuming data.  It doesn't matter how it happens, if you are using the Verizon network in one way or another then it will always go against your data plan for the month. 

To help you visualize what the common internet traffic looks like for data consumption see the Data Usage Calculator:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/datacalculatorPopup.jsp

0 Likes
techismylife
Contributor - Level 1

You can also bypass the data usage by turning on the wifi if you are near a wifi hotspot or you have wifi in your house or business, then the device will not send data over the Verizon Network but rather your wifi source and the data will not count against you. However if you are not connected to a wifi source.  You will accumlate data for anytime you make or recieve a request from verizon wireless network.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

If device is just sitting turned on but you are not doing anything actively on the internet it shouldn't be using any data.  One thing to keep in mind though is you may have traffic even if you are not surfing the web (Microsoft updates, other program updates, upload or download activity, etc)  

That is the one catch with LTE when it works, it's so fast it's really easy to get in trouble with data usage Smiley Happy

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

deloswilbur wrote:

If device is just sitting turned on but you are not doing anything actively on the internet it shouldn't be using any data.  One thing to keep in mind though is you may have traffic even if you are not surfing the web (Microsoft updates, other program updates, upload or download activity, etc) 

You contradicted yourself there.  Your second sentence is far more accurate than the first.  There are lots of applications moving data in the background, especially on smartphones.  My "News & Weather" app alone has moved 5 megs of data today.  Google services 12 megs.  Mail 3.5 megs.  Android 1.8 megs.  All of the apps I have installed would also be checking for and retrieving updates if I hadn't switched updates to WiFi only.

0 Likes
deloswilbur
Enthusiast - Level 3

Heh, yes, I did. Thanks for clarifying it.  Sometimes my typing is faster than my brain 😮

0 Likes