How is it possible to accrue data charges on wifi and asleep?
Frances1230
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not very happy with what's going on right now.  My family of 3 shares a data plan of 8GB.  I use under 1G, my husband <1G-1.5G and my son uses a ton so I decided to start looking into when/how much data is being used.  In the previous billing cycle we went over by .009 on the final day of the billing cycle so what's the point to pay $10 for 2G and then not be able to change it back, therefore I took the stupid $15 overage charge for literally nothing.  Anyway, I began to look through the time stamps and data usage per phone and it's pretty fishy. I'm being charged data at 4:06am, 10:06am, 4:06pm and so on.  I have an iphone5, my husband has an iphone6 and my son an iphone 6+.  Spoke with a rep tonight who claimed it may be due to my wifi losing connectivity and auto updating while connected to the LTE.  That's a load.  My whole family switched to Verizon because we couldn't ever get a good signal where we live with AT&T.  My husband finally was forced to try a different company due to work and having to have a reliable network where we live. Not one dropped call, not one issue with wifi-Verizon was actually the miracle mobile provider I never knew existed.  I waited a few months to make sure that it wasn't too good to be true and at once dropped AT&T totally and switched my son and my phone to Verizon as well.  Having a teenager I knew we needed to probably have more data to be on the safe side but they can't seem to tell me how his data is being used and from 4/2 to today (4/14) he has used over 4G of data according to them.  I pull up the dates and times and know for a fact that he was connected to home wifi for 1.6G+ and at his school wifi for another 1.6G+ and only 1.2G+ could have possibly been used off wifi.  And I also see that there are massive amounts of complaints regarding this same type of sham.  Not to mention I had added Family Base to be able to set limits on the data my son uses. But apparently since he's able to access the MyVerizon account from his phone (albeit he isn't an authorized user on the Family Base plan) he is able to go in and change any parameters I had set up.  So tonight I go in and remove this feature from our account and now 30 minutes later I get a "Welcome to Verizon Family Base" text.  WTH is going on??? I want real answers now or I will be looking into what others have done regarding this type of abuse.  I had high hopes that this was going to be an honest, reliable network I could trust but this data business is insanely bogus.  I'd like to hear back from someone regarding getting this researched and resolved.  I don't want to feel discontent about something that has been going good so far.  But I don't really feel like I should have to turn off all cellular data and close all open apps when I'm on wifi in order to keep from having data charged inappropriately.  Thanks for your help and prompt resolution to my concern.

Labels (1)
38 Replies
DPAWLU

The same thing has been happening to me for the last three months. My iPhone 6 went from using less than a gb of data in a month, to eating up nearly 3gb in less than ten days, some of it during the wee hours when I am asleep. I spoke with reps who all have the same answers that I see on these pages. I have had to "upgrade" to a more expensive plan twice in two months to avoid overage charges.

Something very fishy is going on with Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Verizon Wireless is here to help you out DPAWLU. As a consumer myself, I know data usage can add up quickly so we cant to keep in under control. Data reflects the type of usage, apps, bit rate or resolution being used. Has anything changed on your device since you noticed the increase? Do you turn off your mobile data when you are not using it to avoid   background data from being used?

JorgeO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DPAWLU

I have spoken to several people at Verizon and they all offer the same suggestions and non-solutions. There is no reason that after years of using extremely small amounts of data, with no changes in my habits or usage, suddenly my phone will use half a GB at 3 a.m. It's just ridiculous. I have had to turn cellular data off completely, making it a pain in the neck when I have to turn it on temporarily to use an app if I am away from my WiFi.

0 Likes
skippydoodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is scamming MANY people as far as data usage goes.  Got a Galaxy S5 in October, and while I'm not doing anything that I didn't do before with my other Android phones, the data use is WAY up, and I'm on wifi probably 85% of my day.  I read and read all kinds of comments re:this scam in this forum and finally tried doing what a couple of people said:TURN OFF YOUR MOBILE DATA whenever you are on wifi because Verizon phones don't automatically switch over from mobile data (when you are using data on-the-go) to wifi.  I can't believe all the ridiculous comments from the Verizon representatives.  It doesn't matter what kind of a smart phone you have; if you're with Verizon, turn off you mobile data while on wifi so that Verizon doesn't have the chance to rip you off for overages.  I've had my mobile data off for 3 days now, and my data has gone up by .001 as opposed to using (at times) more than .125 in a DAY.   Freakin' crooks and ignoramuses.

0 Likes
Stephaniearmstrong
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are having the same problem. We have Apple iPhone 6.  I just realized we are using more data and I looked at the usage sheet and it is tracking data in the middle of the night. Our phones are all connected to the wifi but still using data.  This is fraud!

skippydoodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Stephanie, sorry if  you already read what I posted a little while ago.  I thought I was replying to this one.  In any case, I just learned this from doing a lot of research on Verizon's forums, (I too, was "using" data like crazy since I got my Galaxy S5 in October) that whenever you are on wifi, you need to turn off your mobile data.  Apparently, in some of Verizon's phones,they are using mobile data instead of your wifi.  Phones are supposed to automatically switch over, but as you and I and many others using Verizon have come to find out, this is NOT happening.  Turn  your mobile data off even when you go to bed, whether the phone is off or on.  I've been tracking my supposed data use for the last couple of months, and it's been insane and just plain wrong.  Using data in LARGE amounts while I'm asleep with the phone off.  Give me a break!  You can't tell me that Verizon's rep's don't know about this; they can't be that stupid.  They're probably told deliberately not to tell customers who complain about this issue.  This has worked for me since I started doing it three days ago; I have used a total of .016 gb in 3 days as opposed to .075 in one day for numerous days.  Pretty sure this will work for you as well.  I watch videos every day on Facebook and YouTube on my phone at night and haven't noticed any slowing down or difference.  Hope this helps.

0 Likes
skippydoodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

Stephanie, turn off your mobile data any time you are on wifi (even when asleep with phone off).  I was "using" data like crazy ever since I got my Galaxy S5 last October.  I've barely used .016 in three days now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Stephaniearmstrong I understand not wanting to be charged for data that you are not using. The iPhone has a special feature called Wi-Fi Assist. What this feature does is connect to our data if the signal is stronger than your Wi-Fi. No need to worry as you can turn this feature off. Please go to settings – cellular – all the way to the bottom – turn off wi-fi assist. If it is already off we can continue with our troubleshooting.
DeloresK_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Plug your phone into the charger at night.

How much data is being used. It would be normal to use small amounts, several MB, on cellular even if on wifi. This is the phone "phoning home" to confirm its connections.

0 Likes
daa0544
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are charged for using excessive mobile data when all of our phones (HTC Max, Samsung s5; and Kyronea) are set to WiFi while sleeping, use mobile data if WiFi is weak is off and my husband's can only use the internet if he has a WiFi connection. My daughters phone was broke. The Use Mobile connection will automatically come on right after I shut it off near the end of the cycle. They are blaming it on the phones software, but I think that it is both Verizon and the cell phone companies have a connection to the mobile data button or someone is lying.

eekzink
Enthusiast - Level 1

We are suffering from the same nightmare. It has been 8 solid weeks of phone calls to Verizon, then Apple, then to our cable service provider; daily data checks; overage charges; fights with the teen; HOURS of time invested in trying to get to the bottom of sudden and exponential jump in data usage. It started about a month after we upgraded my daughter's phone to a 5s. She is even more conscientious than me about not using it unless we are connected to wifi. For the first month, all was fine and we were going through the normal 2G. Then, with absolutely NO habit or usage change on our end, we were blasting through that like lightening. She was disciplined for the overuse. We added another 1G just to be safe. That went even faster than the 2G!!! We are now at 6GB at almost double the rate we went through 2!!!

I have kept a log of the time spent trying to solve this issue -- almost 5 hours of phone time alone. I literally have an AppleCare supervisor in my phone contact list because he is so perplexed!!!! After several Verizon technical support calls, we finally an agent who really wanted to help. She was convinced my daughter's phone had a rogue (malware) virus. Apple said it had to be the hardware. But when we really looked at the metrics -- both of our iPhones AND the iPad all all using data when on wifi, supposedly. We had one month of overage charges refunded, but with the problem not solved (reset both phones to factory settings; exchanged our modem for a new one !!!) I added -- you guessed it -- MORE DATA!!!

I didn't see how Verizon could be guilty of fraud -- after all, something of this magnitude would put the entire company out of business ultimately and it just doesn't make sense. But this is WAY OFF. Further, mid-way through our issue, the data category that was using the most data on my daughter's phone -- "Business Services" -- suddenly disappeared and now the main usage category is "Web Apps". Verizon. Really? It's a poor show.

I'm considering eating the contract termination fee and returning to AT&T. I'm not quick to assume, which is why I've spent months assuming some responsibility for the data, but it's very clear to us now that there is something very illegal happening here.

do99
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem with data (using data while I'm on wifi). called verizon cust. svc. (in March '15), been told "data will be used when my wifi signal is weak".  I never have wifi problem at home but who can tell me when my wifi is weak (i cannot).  So, I turned off my wifi when I'm home. Guess what, a lot of my texts were "Not Delivered". I have unlimited voice/text - why? I shouldn't have problem with texting while I my data is off!!  I believe Verizon is cheating on their customers by not upgrading their towers and using their customer's data(paid by their customers) to provide "unlimited voice and data"(by using their customer's data).  Most of us don't turn off data.  Also, please watch out when verizon offer you to save money on data overage by upgrading your data plan.  if you upgrade to a higher plan then come back to the old plan, you have to take their new pricing.  Since my data plan has went up another $20, I have to remind the cust. svc. rep. 10 times not to offer me to upgrade my data plan.  I cannot blame my service rep, they probably all trained by verizon this way 😞

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Hi Do99,

We want you to be happy with your VZW services! Receiving the best value on a great plan is important. When the device is connected to Wi-fi, the device will attempt to use Wi-fi services to provide the action being required on the device. Correct, if the Wi-fi signal is too weak to perform the task, then the device will attempt to use the billed VZW cellular data. If you turn off the VZW cellular data, then your device data performance is based on the Wi-fi connection that you are connected to. When the device is connected to Wi-fi you should still receive standard text messages and voice calls. Picture and Video messages do require the cellular data to be turned on. Is the issue only with receiving text messages or sending as well when connected to Wi-fi? Does the device display an error message? What happens when you attempt to place or receive calls while connected to Wi-fi?

PamelaF_VZW
0 Likes
Toyota4x4van
Contributor - Level 3

@PamelaF_VZW,

Since picture & video messaging is considered part of the unlimited text messaging, then we shouldn't NEED data turned on to send/receive those.  By requiring data to be turned on, you are admitting that pic & video messaging uses data and is not part of the unlimited messaging.  AND, Verizon refuses to allow those messages over WiFi, and instead forces them onto our billable data!  I call bulls__t.

JandersonRN
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been dealing with the same issues with Verizon.  This seems to be a growing issue among its customers.  I'm mostly on wifi either at school or work, If I play music in my car its downloaded so it should excluded from data usage.  Still, I seem to be accuring data, and I don't know how!! It's very frustrating, and I've spoken to representatives about it in the past and I've still never seen or heard a solution.  It's quite annoying, and I believe Verizon does charge falsely.  If wifi doesnt use the networks data then how does the number keep increasing.  I wish they would fix this issue.  Nobody has extra money just to be giving out.

rcschnoor
Legend

JandersonRN wrote:

If I play music in my car its downloaded so it should excluded from data usage.  Still, I seem to be accuring data, and I don't know how!!

I would certainly check to confirm this is the case. I have looked at Google Play Music AND Apple Music thinking I was playing songs stored on my phone. In more than 1 instance, the device defaulted to playlists stored in the cloud which were ALSO stored on my phone meaning cellular data usage. Now I ALWAYS check that I am playing music stored on my phone before hitting that PLAY button.

skippydoodog
Enthusiast - Level 2

turn off your mobile data while asleep and any time you are on wifi anywhere because Verizon is scamming people by not having the phones automatically switch over from mobile data to wifi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I can understand the confusion on why we need data turned on for picture and group messages. I am here to help clear this up. Picture and group messages exceed the messaging standard of 140 characters.  So to deliver group and picture messages, it gets converted and sent to a multimedia server.  When the message gets converted it does use data to send and receive the multimedia message.  We make adjustments at the end of your billing cycle for instances just like this.

If your plan includes unlimited messages, yes technically,it does use data to get to the server and back but Verizon Wireless credits that data back to your account.  The same is true if you are logged onto any Verizon Wireless product. For example, My Verizon,  uses data, but it gets adjusted at the end of the bill cycle so you are never charged.  I hope that this clears the messaging issue up for you.

On another note, Verizon Messages + sends picture and group messages over WiFi.

AllisonC_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

mhb1954
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same problems with my Galaxy S5.  I actually had pretty moderate  usage for each month until late in the fall and then suddenly, I'm eating data like mad, and paying overages.  A lot of the times when data downloads occur are when i'm at home and on WiFi. I've called VZW tech support about this several times and I am still not satisfied with the explanation.  It's like something "changed," and now all of a sudden, I'm a data hog and I've not changed any of my habits or my phone settings.  Is it the new OS updates or is this something that VZW is causing?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello mhb1954,

I know it can be frustrating to pinpoint data usage. Usage can change if a particular app or website you use chances their settings or speeds. This can sometimes account for an unknown spike in usage. You can find out which apps primarily use the most data by checking Settings>Data usage on your device. You can also view the types of usage that take up the most data on My Verizon. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/myverizonlp/ This may help solve your data mystery!

MichelleH_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes